• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potential Money Making Idea For UO?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By now, we can all agree, those who still play UO have certain characteristics:

1. older
2. likes to decorate
3. likes to own items
4. likes to own property
5. likes to collect

Many of us have been playing for decades and are now working adults and spending money for something fun is no problem at all. Heck, we pay exuberant amounts of subscription fees alone of everything else already.

With all the cool items in the UO Store, why not come up with limited edition items for us to purchase:

1. decorative items
2. armors and weapons
3. rideables

If you make limited editions out of them like 1/5000 or 1/50 etc...
number them on the 3rd line not in the tag line
people will go nuts over them
the limited edition number is randomly generated so even the last buyer can potentially get the 1/50 etc..

imagine a large painting with a cool name that's 1/200 selling at $19.95. I guarantee people will buy them.

just helping this game out so i can keep playing :)

Simply put, I'll gladly pay $50 bucks for 1/50 ridable dog than Netflix subscription because at least I'll see it everytime I play and it will hold their value if not more. Netflix subscription is gone each month and i'll never get it back.

The current UO store has the correct idea, however, it made items unlimited, i.e. you can keep buying them so they don't hold their intrinsic value unless it's perishables. If you make limited edition items, people will go nuts :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gem

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel they should sell older items that you can’t get anymore from the tot events. Limited items is already a problem for those that don’t live in UO imho

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
also, I have a pirate character, he can drink but he cant smoke a pipe or cigar? let me craft tobacco, even if it has negative effects....

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
By now, we can all agree, those who still play UO have certain characteristics:

1. older
2. likes to decorate
3. likes to own items
4. likes to own property
5. likes to collect
I have some of these characteristics but not all.

If by "older" you mean has some extra disposable income to spend on a game then yes that would be me... although I do not pay for much with RL cash. For example I used in game gold to buy luck potions for the last event.

I also do not really care much about decorating or collecting EM items so owning non functional items & collecting also don't appeal to me.

I'd guess that many of the people quitting are doing so because what they are paying for isn't worth it, not because they want more stuff to spend more money on. My money making idea for UO would be to actually give us new content instead of the same cookie cutter events year after year (and that's when we even get those). I know many people that have quit the game because they are bored... not because there isn't a 1 of 250 in store item they can drop money on.

I know, I know.... "but they are working on NL". That still remains to be seen and in the meantime they are losing subscriptions they might never get back.