• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Post Your SA Desktop

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may be helpful to see how other people are setting up their desktop in the SA client. Here are two views of how I normally set up things, one with the boat control hotbars minimized and one with them expanded. This is how I would typically set up things for one of my peace tamers. Haven't tried doing anything yet for a dexxer.

Attachments

E

Eyes of Origin

btw, I love being able to resize the game window :) I am able to hide the hotbars that have macros set up so they dont take up any room on my screen and leave out the hotbars with spells that I dont use enough to keep on macros.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made mine as familiar as I could, putting my 'uoa' style bar at the top with weight and gold :D
And I'm delighted to say that even on my old pc it runs well enough that I can go tot hunting :D

Toasted Tsuki wolves anyone?

A

Adder_Atl

What are those in the upper left corner?

Looks like hit points/ ? /followers?

if that is what they are, how did you get that?

TIA

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She has HP, Gold, Followers. When you open your character sheet (bottom left on the paperdoll), pretty much any icon you see in there can be dragged onto a hotbar. You can also do Tithing points from an icon in the Chiv. Book.

Here is an unfinished version of one of my desktops that has the same thing going on at the top. (HP, Mana, Stam, Bandages (timer), Weight, Gold)

Attachments

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
here is mine for a tamer/spell caster

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My desktop is generic across all my chars irrespective of type. I keep all the spells, icons to the bottom and right hand sides with gumps etc opening to the right of the game window, eg skill tracker, pdoll, maps etc. I have a 22 inch monitor.

If I need my character or ability sheet 'open' they open here:

My Atlas if I need it open appears here:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is mine, close to how I setup KR:

Top:
Status bar, hp/stam/mana/weight/gold, regs, tithing/necro regs, character bar

Bottom left is setup to imitate how I setup my legacy status panel, plus extras in SA:
STR/Dex/Int/followers/luck
Resists
HCI/DCI/SSI/Damage/DI
LRC/LMC/FC/FCR/SDI

Bottom centre:
Journal (the rest of the hotbars are configured around this since there's a minimum height)
Main hotbar

Bottom right:
My utility area that I pull icons to, specifically the spells I don't create macros for (ie non-time critical combat/utilty spells) or those I want to use the "last spell" macro with.

A

Ash

Can I somehow see the spells instead of just powerwords?
Not currently, we have this in KR through the player mods which aren't currently working in SA. Soon as the SA Custom UI is working you will see a few of us working on porting the KR mods we have into SA.

J

(Jah)

Im astonished that noone uses single square hotbars so they would be able to have free floating spells like the legacy client. I currently do this and its awsome, wish I knew how to take a screenshot......

T

TheGrayGhost

This is just my PvE dexxer.

I use a Wolf King speed pad and I have movement bound to WASD (More mondern and makes life easy lol, move while leaving my mouse free for w/e). E is bound to Nearest Enemy, R to Next Enemy. Tab is set to next friendly etc. Spacebar is my self heal every 4 second macro. Etc. and so on.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
just press the print screen button and it will save a pic to your SA folder

T

TheGrayGhost

Im astonished that noone uses single square hotbars so they would be able to have free floating spells like the legacy client. I currently do this and its awsome, wish I knew how to take a screenshot......
hit print screen and it will be stored in a folder called screenshots your EA UO stygian abyss folder.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My desktop is generic across all my chars irrespective of type. I keep all the spells, icons to the bottom and right hand sides with gumps etc opening to the right of the game window, eg skill tracker, pdoll, maps etc. I have a 22 inch monitor.

I like that set up miss echo I may have to try that ...

K

Kiminality

Here's mine, currently, which Stratics was very kind to resize for me :p
Massive chaotic jumble, I know

The bars on the left are because I have a G11, so I tend to set up icons to correspond to the keys, for reference/use

Attachments

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hit print screen and it will be stored in a folder called screenshots your EA UO stygian abyss folder.
Just be aware that the screenshots are stored as .bmp files and the folder gets very large very quickly. You'll have to clean it out periodically.

You can also go under User Settings and set another keybinding for doing screenshots. You should check there anyway because the client sees the Left-Alt and Right-Alt keys as different keys. For example, if your setting for screenshots is Left Alt-PrintSc but in a particular situation you actually press Right Alt-PrintSc, no screenshot will be saved.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A question for you all: Why all the black? A matter of habit from 2D, or a PC issue - lessening the load? I just find it puzzling that when one have the possibility of using fullscreen, it`s not used. I haven`t had the chance to play around so much with SA as I would have liked, but the very first thing I did when I had an hour was to drag the game window all across my screen and pile hotbars and whatnot on top of that.

Have anyone done that and can share their solution?

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I dont like full screen, for one. I chat in ICQ, move around in vent, etc. Full screen is not friendly to these pursuits. I play single player games in windowed mode for the same reason. I just can't stand full screen.

Second, I can't stand having icons and whatnot overlaping the gamescreen, even a tiny bit. Much prefer to have black area to put this stuff in so that it is not obscuring my view. I PvP, I might need to know who is on the very edge of my screen, and having UI elements obscuring that is not in my best interest.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am mostly with Ailish. Not so much about the icq and stuff, But having all those icons in the way while playing is quite annoying...specially if you try to click to run and click the icon instead, or more importantly a person runs behind an icon and you can not click them...I guess it is mostly habit since you can scroll through targets and use macros to attack instead of clicking, but it is still an obstruction of view. =\

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol I don't use macros for targeting. Must be useful for a mage, but can't see how it would help a dexer much. :p

C

Cloak&Dagger

lol I don't use macros for targeting. Must be useful for a mage, but can't see how it would help a dexer much. :p
There is an "attack next" or something like that, it acts like a double click :p

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use "attack nearest hostile" alot for my sammy. Even in the legacy client.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with the others, icons on the play screen get in the way. You can absolutely guarantee that the monster that instalocks on you when it spawns instead of taking a second or two as usual spawns under an element that's on screen so that you can't target it.
I hate the 'cycle through targets' thing, it never targets the creature I want and by the time I've cycled through everything else on screen I'm in mega trouble if not dead. Either that or I hurry too much and cycle past it by accident.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yea...I have never been to fond of cycling through targets, I only really brought it up in case people who would like to use the full screen for view could use the option. :)

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use "attack nearest hostile" alot for my sammy. Even in the legacy client.
I am not totally sure how that works, but I must confess I would be quite concerned that I would end up attacking my guildmates, my husband, my horse, or myself! I have heard something about this targetting reds without regard to actual thought of friendliness ....

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am not totally sure how that works, but I must confess I would be quite concerned that I would end up attacking my guildmates, my husband, my horse, or myself! I have heard something about this targetting reds without regard to actual thought of friendliness ....
Yup, it is sorta how it works...lol. But there use to be a few options I think? I think there use to be attack nearest friendly, attack nearest blue, attack nearest red Or something along those lines..

K

Kiminality

A question for you all: Why all the black? A matter of habit from 2D, or a PC issue - lessening the load? I just find it puzzling that when one have the possibility of using fullscreen, it`s not used. I haven`t had the chance to play around so much with SA as I would have liked, but the very first thing I did when I had an hour was to drag the game window all across my screen and pile hotbars and whatnot on top of that.

Have anyone done that and can share their solution?
I find that often in MMOs, I can deal with a cluttered play area. My Warhammer ones were works of art.
But I think that's because you don't see all around you, and turn the view to where you want to look, in a third person.
In UO, every bit of the play area counts, and you can't rotate your view to get a gribbly out from under a health bar. Everything blocking the play area can't be looked around, so while it might be convenient, I think most people consider them more in the way.

Also, It's what I'm used to.
And, if you have the full screen dedicated to play area, then you either have it zoomed so far out that you can see way beyond what's loaded by the client, or so far in that you can count the pixels on the art.

W

Wolfways

I like having the game window stretched out as much as possible, but there's no point in covering it up with icons, etc. so i just limit the size to fit within info i need...which isn't much.

After playing so many other mmo's i find i still keep trying to rotate the view when playing UO :coco:

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*gets dizzy and ill even thinking about rotating views* Ugh, the legacy of having some sort of defect in the inner ear ... Even at 32 I still get serious motion sickness!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, it is sorta how it works...lol. But there use to be a few options I think? I think there use to be attack nearest friendly, attack nearest blue, attack nearest red Or something along those lines..[/QUOTE]

"Attack nearest mobile" will do that, attack the nearest object that's mobile - blue/gree/red/grey, including the hubby, guildmates, followers etc. Not recommended unless you are in Tram and unguilded (I unguilded my Sammy for the time being to use this).

"Attack nearest hostile" will only attack the nearest mob that has already aggro'd you (or that you have aggro'd). If attacked by multiple mobs (including players), to control which you want to attack, just move your char nearer to the mob you want to attack.

Doesn't work as well when swarmed by loads of mobs, but I'll just whirlwind away in these cases.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you *sure* it won't attack my red guildmates or friends? My red horse?

C

Cloak&Dagger

Are you *sure* it won't attack my red guildmates or friends? My red horse?
I am at least...90(?)% sure that it will not attack reds or guildmates, unless they have attacked you. It reads your "hotile to" tag on your character and then cycles the closest one to attack.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm 99% sure! ( 1% left to allow for an escape clause :D )

If you are using the "attack nearest hostile", it doesn't attack reds if they did not aggro you (or if you did not aggro them previously).

However, be careful around accidental area/field spells, I'd not tested that before. You can do a safe test with your hubby at home. Make sure your aggression flag has timed out, then stand next to his char and hit the macro.

If you collected insurance from his demise, then ermm...whoops...Might want to unequip any weapons you are holding...just in case.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my attempt at windowed fullscreen mode with hotbars. I still haven`t found that balance with loss of jagged lines and overview yet. Some more tweaking is in order.

Attachments

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bump. This is a great thread for us devs to see how you guys like to play. It helps us nail down graphics problems and gives us ideas for future improvements.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, if you have the full screen dedicated to play area, then you either have it zoomed so far out that you can see way beyond what's loaded by the client, or so far in that you can count the pixels on the art.
Lol on the Warhammer screen there Kiminality:)

I am using the zoom in/out feature a lot when I play - I don`t set it and let it be. It all depends on where I am and what I am doing. I am using that feature instead of the "look around" as you have in other games. That`s because I notoriously get lost even after so many years. I still play 2D with UOam open at all times...:blushing:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would anyone who has already posted and those who have yet to post mind also saying how many macros you have set up to work with a particular desktop view that are NOT assigned to a hotbar?

I know you can shrink the hotbars, but when I started using SA, I was more comfortable setting up macros than hotbar entries. I eventually moved a few of them to hotbars, but because I don't have a lot of black desktop to play with and don't want hotbars on top of the game window, I still have about 40 macros that I use regularly (for a peace tamer) that are not tied to a hotbar. Someday I might experiment with organizing more of them in hotbars, but I just don't know where they'd all go!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm doing the same thing and creating macros for my frequently used spells/commands etc instead of using hotbars. You know, those multiple line spell macros (where you say something). So dragging a spell icon directly to a hotbar doesn't exactly work...

Have at least 26 (1 spell to each key, plus alt combos), done 5 so far.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bump. This is a great thread for us devs to see how you guys like to play. It helps us nail down graphics problems and gives us ideas for future improvements.
Bottom left corner of my pic above is reserved for a resizable square radar/atlas *hint hint* :D

But the journal/chat box gets repositioned up and needs to be re-positioned everytime I login, not sure why, I'd made enough space for the "Say" box to fix too...

Ohhh, and the SA window doesn't remember its last saved windows position. It always try to start in the centre for me (instead of top left for the legacy client). Even when you already maximized it the last time you played, when you start it again, it starts a bit lower. As if it thinks I had a task bar on the top of my desktop and is trying to avoid that area. So everytime I start the client, I'd have to click maximize again. Same thing happens in KR.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, I'm doing exactly what I do in 2D, macros I use frequently that are now in uoa I put into macros on the same keys as I'm used to (except my heal and cure which are normally on mouse wheel up and down :( ), stuff I don't use so much are in hotbars, except now I can tie them up too, so instead of double click - target for my rune book I can set them to 'stored' and just click the icon - btw, I always use a town book for emergency exit ever since a lady of the snow's revenant followed me home and finished me off on my doorstep, they insta dispel in town.

K

Kiminality

I assume the UI elements for golf are still in the works?
*Hides*
:D

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok here is my work in progress desktop for my tamer

Still tweaking it a bit, or might just leave it as it is, until custom UI's are available.

Z

Zyon Rockler

mage ui and macros.jpg

tamer arch pally mage macro.jpg

This is our family's basic set up. The way this system is used is to maximize macro keys and eliminate opening bags, searching for icons, or opening books, even being able to summon an item to my hand at the push of a button.

The icons that you do see are there basically because there aren't enough keys or it would become to difficult to remember all of them. I believe we have close to 50 macros when all is said and done.

The keyboard becomes kind of an instrument, where you set your fingers to the keys without having to look at them. This makes it possible to do anything that is needed without a distraction of having to open a bag or search for an item.

The full screen is definitely the best way to go because it is the most you can get out of what there is offered. I'm very happy with this set up. Being able to zoom in and out is what makes full screen affective.

I like to zoom in fully in small rooms, like when fighting RCs and turn up the music of the game. It is an amazing affect. The fact that I use targeting helps me to see and allows me to challenge myself by not being able to see everything and of course zooming out is a great advantage.

So, because of these possibilities plus the fact, with the touch of one button I can do many things and have so many buttons, i'm able to eliminate icons from the desktop.

One more thing, if I do need to open up my paperdoll or map or place lifebars, I am able to do it but I would much rather keep them closed unless I really need them.

I don't have any problems with movement, as far as what's on my screen.

Also, I am able to take all of the items that are in my backpack and move them to the bottom of the bag, like demon spell books, rune books, different talismans, different types of weapons, that I can now use a macro for rather than having to open my backpack. So, this opens up my backpack in a way because the items I have at the bottom of my bag I don't even see.
So, the ones I keep visible are the ones I don't have on a macro or placed into a square, this greatly helps with organizing.

There's probably alot more I could say about my set up but those are the basics, I think.