• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Possible Increase to 2D In-Game Gameplay Window Size Resolution?

W

Wallenstein

Has there been any discussion related to possibly increasing the gameplay window size? I have it set at the highest setting (800x600) but there is so much black space on my screen that is just going to waste.

I understand that 800x600 was the "hot" resolution eleven years ago, but it's 2008 and most monitors support far higher resolutions.

My resolution setting is 1680x1050 and look how much black space I have with the 800x600 gameplay window size:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4674/uossdq5.jpg

Just saying...

T

T_Amon_from_work

I can go 1440x900 on my widescreen flat ... but for UO I flip to 1024x768 windowed mode. With the ATi control panel it's easy enuff to do.

R

Richtor Darkbane

I can go 1440x900 on my widescreen flat ... but for UO I flip to 1024x768 windowed mode. With the ATi control panel it's easy enuff to do.
I think he's talking about the play window size, 800x600 is as big as you can make it. With the larger monitors most people have today it would be nice if we could get a larger gameplay window resolution and less black space.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Last Town Hall, devs said it wasn't going to happen.

There IS a way to better use the higher resolutions, but not in 2d.

W

Wallenstein

Ahh okay, thanks. The Town Hall bit explains it. I figured it would be a crazy amount of work to deal with the 'names of incoming players' stuff and only appearing when the player(s) hit a certain pixel area. I guess I just need to get accustomed to the KR client :(.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I believe it was more due to having to rework all of the 2d artwork into higher pixel resolution so that the same update range is maintained, but the image to remain clear (the old 3d client could stretch out further than 800x600 and would zoom in to compensate in this regard... the problem was that the 2d item and terrain graphics would become pixelated and distorted in the process).

If I recall correctly, there is at least one moderately unmentionable outside program that will let you raise the game window limit, but I don;t know how it affects the update range.

I play at the same 1680x1050 and the 2d game window is simply too small to be enjoyable for me... and it's NOT a matter of eyesight as I often play with KR zoomed out completely... it's just a matter of preference... the game window should take up the VAST majority of the client window. Otherwise it's like getting a 52in HDTV then using Picture in Picture and warching only the PiP screen while the main screen is put on a dead channel. (at least to me)

However, it WAS an issue brought up at the last Town Hall (which one of the artists was there (GrimmOmen I think)) and apparently the idea according to Jeremy made him cringe.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw a screen shot of a larger game play area once but it might have been a player shard I can't remember where I saw it

SevenFaith

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you play like that then if the black area bothers you? Don't put the game fullscreen and have MSN/ICQ windows showing in the spots that would normally be black...

USE YOUR BRAIN

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be done. And probably relatively easily. There is one client assist program commonly used for player shards that lets you set the game window to whatever resolution you want. Kinda looks bad if you go overboard, but it's easy to do 1000x900 on a 1440x900 screen and still have room for junk off to the side. And it look so much better...

It really sucks that EA won't make this functionality legal. I would have argued in the past that it might make PvP more unfair depending on how far out you can see, but they didn't seem to worry about that point when they kept the zoom-out function in KR.

S

Sebrina

Why do you play like that then if the black area bothers you? Don't put the game fullscreen and have MSN/ICQ windows showing in the spots that would normally be black...
I personally like the black areas, but you can change this in Options in 2D and use the full-screen, and then vary it from there. It's been a while since I went through all that to change it up, but all my monitors are larger now, and I still use the black space for bags, spells, and other inventory.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my old 19 inch montor the black area wasn't that bad but on a 23 inch in 1680x1150 there is a lot of black as for uoam i have 2nd 17 inch for that.

P

Papadom

I have the same problem...too much black space and the game is way too small to see at 800x600.

I now play in full screen mode but now I CAN'T see the uoassist bar that should appear on the top of my window. So I can't see my resource count or tell how long till my band aid heals my char.

I'm a returning player and I must say this is a huge punch in the face.

Do anyone know how to see the uoassist info bar in full screen mode?

I could go out and buy a smaller monitor...What size monitor would be the biggest I should get?

TY

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It can be done. And probably relatively easily. There is one client assist program commonly used for player shards that lets you set the game window to whatever resolution you want. Kinda looks bad if you go overboard, but it's easy to do 1000x900 on a 1440x900 screen and still have room for junk off to the side. And it look so much better...

It really sucks that EA won't make this functionality legal. I would have argued in the past that it might make PvP more unfair depending on how far out you can see, but they didn't seem to worry about that point when they kept the zoom-out function in KR.
I know the program your talking about and the reason it's not and could not get approved as a legal program if UOPro was taking applications is it has a built in loop function along with the ability to set up variable macros that trigger on status changes. You could set one up to heal you if your hits are under 50 and start it looping and never have to worry about being bandaged.

S

Seismic

I have the same problem...too much black space and the game is way too small to see at 800x600.

I now play in full screen mode but now I CAN'T see the uoassist bar that should appear on the top of my window. So I can't see my resource count or tell how long till my band aid heals my char.

I'm a returning player and I must say this is a huge punch in the face.

Do anyone know how to see the uoassist info bar in full screen mode?

I could go out and buy a smaller monitor...What size monitor would be the biggest I should get?

TY
I bought a 15" NEC LCD for this reason .. it's great - no black! hahaha :lick:

G

gen2000

It can be done without using said program..but I can't tell ya the other way either...

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play at the same 1680x1050 and the 2d game window is simply too small to be enjoyable for me... and it's NOT a matter of eyesight as I often play with KR zoomed out completely... it's just a matter of preference... the game window should take up the VAST majority of the client window. Otherwise it's like getting a 52in HDTV then using Picture in Picture and warching only the PiP screen while the main screen is put on a dead channel. (at least to me).
Same here. I'm old but I'm not THAT old, and I just can't stand it when the actual play screen is so tiny and takes up only a quarter of my screen. Ick.

OP - give KR a shot with one of the better UI mods, the customizability is worth the few remaining minor hassles.

Those pics are the new SA client, which seems to be a combo of the KR client with some legacy graphics smushed in.

F

Fox (Europa)

Its actually pretty easy to get higher resolution for the game window and I sent the devs how to do it about a year ago. Response? Zilch. I don't think there's anyone left there that understands enough to make the change.

Fox

D

Divster

Apologies if I have gotten completely the wrong end of the stick here but if you change your desktop display resolution you can get game play window size to full screen i.e no black spots, on mine game play window in game set to 800x600, same with display settings for desktop 800x600 this gives full screen game play size in windowed mode.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never have understood the fascination with going full screen - it just means that the things that you would stick in the black space, are now blocking your view of the game environment - which gets you killed a lot in PvM (let alone PvP).

If you play in the normal mode, and just maximize the game window, you get the bar on the top of the screen (unless your vertical setting on the monitor is too high).

I personally would like to see the devs expand the window, at the same level of current graphics, to something like 960x720 - in other words, same graphics, just able to see 10% further in each direction. After all, if creatures can fireball you from what would be 1500+ pixels away, it's hardly a big advantage - and I'm sure the PvPers would love being able to see trouble coming and extra step or two away, even if it means that you don't see the approaching name until the person hits the screen.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I never have understood the fascination with going full screen - it just means that the things that you would stick in the black space, are now blocking your view of the game environment - which gets you killed a lot in PvM (let alone PvP).

While some people like full screen, the ones that make me shake my head in wonder are those who play with a tiny game window with a HUGE amount of blackspace (and stuff in it)... seems like you would lose the actual game window in all of that.

UO2D was (IMO) at its best at 1024x768 program window with 800x600 game window.

The ability to replicate those proportions is one of the things that led me to use the 3d client and later KR. With 1280x1024, then 1680x1050 as my resolutions for the game, being able to stretch the game window out to match the above proportions was a key issue to me.

Allows the game window to be big enough to see and retains a reasonable amount of blackspace for what you may need.

L

Lord Drakelord

Ahh okay, thanks. The Town Hall bit explains it. I figured it would be a crazy amount of work to deal with the 'names of incoming players' stuff and only appearing when the player(s) hit a certain pixel area. I guess I just need to get accustomed to the KR client :(.
Guess I remain in 2d then as I'm not loading KR even again.