• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Popular PvM and PvP templates

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hail and well met!

I am a long time veteran that just came back to UO. I am pre-SA and High Seas and have noticed many changes to the game and equipment. I have not even got into the field in terms of either PvP or PvM, but would like to have an idea of what are the good templates to play nowadays. For the most part, I have characters with maxed out skills and soulstones, so I can do some switching. I'm trying to sell some items to get some gold to update my suits since you can now customize them.

Any advice is appreciated.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
For PvM, some of my favorites are as follows:

For melee, sampire.
For archery, ABC archer.
For tamer, necro/tamer or archer/tamer.
For bard, disco/provo/archer.
For mage, necro/mage/weaver.

Would you like to know more about any of these?

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

For melee, sampire.
For archery, ABC archer.

Thank you, Syrus. I know about most of those templates above, but not necessarily tactics. Which templates are the best for spawns, group/guild fights, solo, etc?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hello Mrs Perfectionist.

You are looking for information about templates? Well that's a broad topic!

I suggest you start here:

Hope this helps.
(You can also try google with these keywords:
site:vboards.stratics.com pvm template -"view single post"
also in this link: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site:vboards.stratics.com+pvm+template+-"view+single+post" )

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hello Mrs Perfectionist.

You are looking for information about templates? Well that's a broad topic!

I suggest you start here:

Hope this helps.
(You can also try google with these keywords:
site:vboards.stratics.com pvm template -"view single post"
also in this link: Let me google that for you )
If there was a reputation system installed, I'd give you rep for this. Thank you and great post!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

For melee, sampire.
For archery, ABC archer.

Thank you, Syrus. I know about most of those templates above, but not necessarily tactics. Which templates are the best for spawns, group/guild fights, solo, etc?
I tend to play solo. The most self-sufficient of the templates listed above are the sampire or necro/mage/tamer. For spawns, I especially like the necro/mage/tamer: let spawn target your pet, then whither indefinitely in wraith form while healing your pet. For group fights and champs, I'd choose the templates with the highest damage output, which is probably the ABC archer or necro/mage/weaver.

That's one guy's opinion, anyway.

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I tend to play solo. The most self-sufficient of the templates listed above are the sampire or necro/mage/tamer. For spawns, I especially like the necro/mage/tamer: let spawn target your pet, then whither indefinitely in wraith form while healing your pet. For group fights and champs, I'd choose the templates with the highest damage output, which is probably the ABC archer or necro/mage/weaver.

For the necro/mage/tamer, what skills do you run?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

For the necro/mage/tamer, what skills do you run?
Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros
--The ideal champ spawn template: invis yourself, allow spawn to target your dragon/cu, then wither away. I can easily clear every mini-champ in the Abyss with this character without coming up for air.
--Animate dead summons do not count as summons, which means you can have a greater dragon and three additional summons

Cons
--You are essentially limited to three offensive spells: Mind Blast (cold damage against a single target), Wither (cold damage, area-of-effect spell), and Poison Strike (poison damage, area-of-effect spell)

Here's another benefit of necro/tamer: 3 skeletal dragons + 1 greater dragon = army.

My suit was constructed pre-imbuing, so I'm sure you could come up with something better nowadays. Nevertheless, I wear the following:

Artifacts - Mark of Travesty with Spirit Speak and Necromancy, Birds of Britannia, Rune Beetle Carapace, Stitcher's Mittens, Orny, Arcane Shield, Quiver of Infinity, Conjurer's Garb

Runic Items - Neck, arms, legs; -20 mage weapon

Jewelry - Ring with 15 magery, 15 taming, 3 faster cast recovery, 15 defense chance increase

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros
--The ideal champ spawn template: invis yourself, allow spawn to target your dragon/cu, then wither away. I can easily clear every mini-champ in the Abyss with this character without coming up for air.
--Animate dead summons do not count as summons, which means you can have a greater dragon and three additional summons

Cons
--You are essentially limited to three offensive spells: Mind Blast (cold damage against a single target), Wither (cold damage, area-of-effect spell), and Poison Strike (poison damage, area-of-effect spell)

Here's another benefit of necro/tamer: 3 skeletal dragons + 1 greater dragon = army.
So I'm assuming that the Mage Weapon is essential for defense?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Necro/Mage/Tamer
120 Magery
120 Spirit Speak
110 Taming
115 Lore
105 Necro
100 Med
95 Vet

Pros

Cons

So I'm assuming that the Mage Weapon is essential for defense?
Nah, I wouldn't call it essential. I notice a slight decrease in spell interruptions when spamming wither, but if you wanted to hold something else and drop mage down to 110 or 115, that'd be fine.

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Nah, I wouldn't call it essential. I notice a slight decrease in spell interruptions when spamming wither, but if you wanted to hold something else and drop mage down to 110 or 115, that'd be fine.
I have a character that i'm thinking of turning into a gargoyle (once I get SA) and finding or creating an imbuer to get him a lot of skill mods on his jewels to get the character to look like this:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Disco
120 Music
100 Mage
100 Eval

I'm not sure what this char would be good for, i'm worried more about the spell interruptions for Invis and such...plus it is hard to clear off spawn easily.

Any recommendations? I could soul stone the disco/music, but my character uses a Scrapper's with +10 Mage and Eval and would hate to give that up for a mage weapon. Just not sure how to tackle smaller spawns. Not sure what the current template is good for anymore.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have a character that i'm thinking of turning into a gargoyle (once I get SA) and finding or creating an imbuer to get him a lot of skill mods on his jewels to get the character to look like this:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Disco
120 Music
100 Mage
100 Eval

I'm not sure what this char would be good for, i'm worried more about the spell interruptions for Invis and such...plus it is hard to clear off spawn easily.

Any recommendations? I could soul stone the disco/music, but my character uses a Scrapper's with +10 Mage and Eval and would hate to give that up for a mage weapon. Just not sure how to tackle smaller spawns. Not sure what the current template is good for anymore.
A mage weapon isn't necessary. If you need the extra skill points, 110 taming and 115 lore will be sufficient to control any pet. If you have access to enhanced aids, vet could be dropped to 95 or a hundred. With these adjustments and some skill increasing items, you could add meditation or raise mage/eval a bit.

Up to you, though. It'll work as it is.

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
A mage weapon isn't necessary. If you need the extra skill points, 110 taming and 115 lore will be sufficient to control any pet. If you have access to enhanced aids, vet could be dropped to 95 or a hundred. With these adjustments and some skill increasing items, you could add meditation or raise mage/eval a bit.

Great. I'll try tweaking around with some ideas, and I greatly appreciate the help.

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Syrus,

I did some tweaking, and I think I have a possible option to a necro/tamer/mage variant:

100 Anatomy
115 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
120 Eval Intelligence
100 Magery
100 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speaking
90 Veterinary

Once I get imbuing going, I'm going to imbue my jewelry to include the extra skills, and have a scrapper's compendium that has +11 Mage / +10 Eval. I'm going to use the 100 Anatomy/120 Eval combination of a defensive method as opposed to the mage weapon. The only problem now is that I wonder if lacking meditation will be an issue? Does wraith form / wither work great in terms of mana management when working a spawn?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Syrus,

I did some tweaking, and I think I have a possible option to a necro/tamer/mage variant:

100 Anatomy
115 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
120 Eval Intelligence
100 Magery
100 Necromancy
100 Spirit Speaking
90 Veterinary

Once I get imbuing going, I'm going to imbue my jewelry to include the extra skills, and have a scrapper's compendium that has +11 Mage / +10 Eval. I'm going to use the 100 Anatomy/120 Eval combination of a defensive method as opposed to the mage weapon. The only problem now is that I wonder if lacking meditation will be an issue? Does wraith form / wither work great in terms of mana management when working a spawn?
You'll want at least 105, but otherwise this could work well. The 100 anat for defense should work fine, though you might eventually trying soulstoning it and giving 100 med a try to see which works best for you. Still, if you are doing sufficient damage in wraith form and have 40 lmc + plenty of MR, you should be alright. :)

Perfectionist

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You'll want at least 105, but otherwise this could work well. The 100 anat for defense should work fine, though you might eventually trying soulstoning it and giving 100 med a try to see which works best for you. Still, if you are doing sufficient damage in wraith form and have 40 lmc + plenty of MR, you should be alright. :)
I assume this is 105 in Necromancy? Is that for Wither success?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I assume this is 105 in Necromancy? Is that for Wither success?
Yes, I think that's why I said that. My cranial database is a little rusty, but there's some reason that I'd never drop necro below 105 and I think it relates to wither.

B

Bort of Atlantic

Yes, I think that's why I said that. My cranial database is a little rusty, but there's some reason that I'd never drop necro below 105 and I think it relates to wither.
Are you sure 105 isn't for strangle? I think wither has 100% success at 100 necromancy.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Are you sure 105 isn't for strangle? I think wither has 100% success at 100 necromancy.
That's possible. Rusty database, after all. XD

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In a related question:
Is the strength of the Wither spell solely based on SDI and Spirit Speak?

E

elspeth

What interesting ideas you have given me! I too am new back from pre-SA. I used to do champ spawns and peerless with my husband (mage/bard) on my tamer and now I am thinking of adding necro. My very crowded template would be something like this:

120 taming ( I will never drop this! took too long to get!)
100 lore / 95 vet (i do have enhanced aids but thought they didn't work so had this higher)
100 music / 110 peace
100 weave
55 necro (maybe even lower but above 40)
rest in magery around 60 maybe? (though I currently have it at about 95)

Magery I use for mind blast, invis, recalls, etc (though I imagine I'll miss gates and resurrection from dropping it to add necro and not sure that's worth it - how will i do compassion?)
Weave I use for helping out when we try to do peerless bosses together (hubby and I can duo Lady M)
Music/peace just for helping me stay alive
Necro wraith form would be great for pushing thru monsters in fel champ spawns and animate dead could be fun. Am also thinking I could use evil omen and corpse skin (depending on my pet)

How does that sound? Too crazy?

Anyways, I'm also very curious what your templates are for the bard/archer and the necro/mage/weaver. Especially this last one as you cite it as a good one for high damage output which would be good in a group. I have a pure scribal mage that I really don't do anything with cuz I thought I might pvp with her but I really just don't pvp.

She's currently
100 scribe
120 eval
110 mage/med/resist
115 wrestle
rest in focus

Would a necro mage weaver be something like
100 scribe
110 mage
120 eval
110 med
105 necro
100 ss
100 weave

And what are the general tactics for that? Perhaps you have higher necro/ss/weave and no scribing though eh? I could perhaps drop some med with a good MR/LMC suit also?

For melee, sampire.
For archery, ABC archer.

E

elspeth

Hmm. Looked up more info on necromancy and without ss there is no point in me trying to animate dead so the most useful thing I can see about this is using wraith form in fel champ spawns. I'm thinking to see if I can do that just with my jack of all trades. Probably can't evil omen in this case but I could still try and might still be useful on bigger monsters that take a while to die like the bosses and stuff. It would have been fun to have an army of skeletal dragons with my pets but eh that's okay. I like being glorious on that avatar also. But definitely still want to know about the necro mage weaver and the bard/archer I'm curious about because I'm thinking about doing it for a t-hunter.

120 disco/provoke
110/120 music
110 archery
100 cart/lock (ss them back and forth as needed)

do I need tactics and anat for support? What about chiv and/or magery. I have 100 alchemy on that char and can throw explosion pots and the like

How important is karma to chiv now adays? Lol, guess I have a lot more to look up.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Aye, you'll need tactics, anatomy, and some method for healing on the latter template. One option to free up space is to soulstone catography and simply decipher maps in bulk. Also, you'll need some method for traveling--either mage or chivalry.

Karma's pretty important to chiv, too. :)

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In a related question:
Is the strength of the Wither spell solely based on SDI and Spirit Speak?
Yes. Intel may play a role too. Slayer spellbooks do not affect Wither damage.

BTW, you cast Wither 100% at 100 Necromancy. As stated, 105 Necro is for 100% Strangle.