• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll, what would make you play Siege?

What would make you play Siege?

• Total voters

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I made same poll on Siege but want to ask here too.
I know some of you gave up Siege and some may want to give it a try.
What changes to Siege would make you give it a try? You can choose so many options as you want.

Here is the options, I cutted some to one line in the poll:

- 2 char slots
- 5-7 char slots

- Recall with a delay like gate spell have
- Gating from book with 0 magery

- Normal shards vendor prices, do away with 3 x prices
- Less Vendor fee

- Have the Felucca bonus to luck, fame and resourceson all facets
- Turn on everything. (tots, farties, arties) every kind of special drop stuff turn it all on. but make it where you have to goto certain spots to farm specific items.
- Better resist on items, increase basis resist on both monster drop and crafted items
- reimplement the VvV artifacts but make them lootable and usable by anyone to prevent those bad PKs from getting too much of an edge...

- add Item Insurance
- add maybe 3-4 more siege blessings. this way you can wear those extra fancy pieces like a crimmy and a slither. This would help everyone. farmers can farm and than these items would actually sell.
- Add option to Siege bless one item for each item slot onthe paperdoll = a suit with weapon/spellbook and one item not in a slot, could be a pet ball or a music item or a crafting tools

- Nerf stealthing. Give the option of auto detect if you have
the detect hidden kill, and when one is revealed make them stay revealed as long the line of sight is not broken.

- Less ghost houses, if house owner had not logged into the shard for 90 days, let house fall

- Reduce landmass. Remove t2a and put the peerless in felucca. remove ilshenar and put necessary dungeons or encounters (exodus) elsewhere.

- Rot - all timers set to 3-5 minutes. waitin more than 5 minutes for a gain is silly.

- get rid of pardons and royal forged pardons. Bring back the true (red) PKs!

- Governors, have a total of only 8 towns this would be for the entire shard. Governors control town, they set prices, guards, let them hire a finance minster to help. governor would control if town was vvv capable, if not it would cost more money.

- Make Return to Britain be active permenent on Siege (no house placing). That would help returning players and we could help them with the dread account management system.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't like the complete concept, but if I had to name the one thing that made it a no go for me, that would be the strange skill gain system. UO is already slow enough on production shards, no need to make it artificially slow.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't like the complete concept, but if I had to name the one thing that made it a no go for me, that would be the strange skill gain system. UO is already slow enough on production shards, no need to make it artificially slow.
It was bad in old days, but now Siege players love it, the name is RoT, Rate over Time. Special tamers love it as it make it much easier. Also crafters love it as you will use less resources to get to 100/120 in skill.
It's much faster now. just play the game and forget about skill gains.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I made same poll on Siege but want to ask here too.
I know some of you gave up Siege and some may want to give it a try.
What changes to Siege would make you give it a try? You can choose so many options as you want.

Here is the options, I cutted some to one line in the poll:

- 2 char slots
- 5-7 char slots

- Recall with a delay like gate spell have
- Gating from book with 0 magery

- Normal shards vendor prices, do away with 3 x prices
- Less Vendor fee

- Have the Felucca bonus to luck, fame and resourceson all facets
- Turn on everything. (tots, farties, arties) every kind of special drop stuff turn it all on. but make it where you have to goto certain spots to farm specific items.
- Better resist on items, increase basis resist on both monster drop and crafted items
- reimplement the VvV artifacts but make them lootable and usable by anyone to prevent those bad PKs from getting too much of an edge...

- add Item Insurance
- add maybe 3-4 more siege blessings. this way you can wear those extra fancy pieces like a crimmy and a slither. This would help everyone. farmers can farm and than these items would actually sell.
- Add option to Siege bless one item for each item slot onthe paperdoll = a suit with weapon/spellbook and one item not in a slot, could be a pet ball or a music item or a crafting tools

- Nerf stealthing. Give the option of auto detect if you have
the detect hidden kill, and when one is revealed make them stay revealed as long the line of sight is not broken.

- Less ghost houses, if house owner had not logged into the shard for 90 days, let house fall

- Reduce landmass. Remove t2a and put the peerless in felucca. remove ilshenar and put necessary dungeons or encounters (exodus) elsewhere.

- Rot - all timers set to 3-5 minutes. waitin more than 5 minutes for a gain is silly.

- get rid of pardons and royal forged pardons. Bring back the true (red) PKs!

- Governors, have a total of only 8 towns this would be for the entire shard. Governors control town, they set prices, guards, let them hire a finance minster to help. governor would control if town was vvv capable, if not it would cost more money.

- Make Return to Britain be active permenent on Siege (no house placing). That would help returning players and we could help them with the dread account management system.
I picked 5-7 chars but 3 would be fine

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I picked 5-7 chars but 3 would be fine
I fear Mesanna will tell us, 2 or 3 won't be possible so we will have to live with one or all.
My goal with the thread and the one on Siege forum is to give Devs an idea off what would make players give Siege a try and what changes Siege players would agree too.
If more than one option will make you consider playing, vote for them too.
If some wonder why I made a single vote in this thread, it's to make it easier for me to see the votes without having to click to see them each time :p

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Why can't we just drop the 'come play siege crusade' there is nothing special about that server. It's beyond ridiculous that you keep this crusade going no one wants to play that dumb server. Siege was designed to be a pre aos shard and it worked under that ruleset when AoS came around it was never adapted to fit the mold and it has been downhill ever since. I am sorry your home shard sucks but maybe it's time you move on. You can play without insurance on any server except Atlantic and it will feel just like Siege empty and pointless.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I played Siege for a long time and really liked it there. When the population was higher it seemed things were more cordial (perhaps that's the wrong word, but I'll explain) in that it was common to meet people in the wild and if not work together, at least have the expectancy of not being attacked every time. After a while that changed where every person(s) I met attacked on sight without a word and since I'm not a pvp'er I got tired of it and ran with my tail between my legs back to a normal shard. I don't mind a little pvp now and then and even enjoy it on occasion, but I play mostly to relax and it's hard to do that when you're constantly on edge when you see someone else in game. I hope it wasn't because everyone hated me, since I always tried to fly under the radar so to speak, and not get involved in guild politics or any feuds at the time. ;)

Some people love that, alas, I'm not one of them. I voted "insurance" since I think being able to wear nice suits without fear of being killed and looted immediately along with the hope that peekays would have less incentive to bother with you might bring me back since I enjoy the other aspects (including 1 char, ROT, no recall, etc.)

-P.E.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why can't we just drop the 'come play siege crusade' there is nothing special about that server. It's beyond ridiculous that you keep this crusade going no one wants to play that dumb server. Siege was designed to be a pre aos shard and it worked under that ruleset when AoS came around it was never adapted to fit the mold and it has been downhill ever since. I am sorry your home shard sucks but maybe it's time you move on. You can play without insurance on any server except Atlantic and it will feel just like Siege empty and pointless.
Best post of 2016.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seige Sg with three.jpg
After a while that changed where every person(s) I met attacked on sight without a word and since I'm not a pvp'er I got tired of it ...
I've been playing Siege a few years now since stopping by the shard on the way out the door. I've yet to be killed here and have maybe been attacked a dozen times. I usually ride a horse so I'm visible most the time and typically only stealth to get past side spawn to reach what I want to hunt, or reach my body.

Stop by again, Siege is a good shard. Only real problem has been I can't bring my twelve years of Chessie items to Siege.

Last edited:

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The concept of Siege does not work with an item based game like we have now. People do not want to lose their stuff that is hard to replace. I voted for MORE land mass and buggy content because thats all the devs can come up with for any shard.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Don't be scared to vote
That's funny because I have no idea why I indeed was afraid to vote....strange....

The most viable one in my view, Freja, is making Siege free to play, which is what I interpreted the last option as.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Actually this is the most ungallant post of the year.

Why respond - at all - to a thread regarding a shard you don't care about? Why try (and fail) to belittle someone who does? Freja has a thick skin; you're not going to get to her with sociopathic casual bile.

Was it to feel smarter or in some way superior? Or just to get attention. Hmmm....I guess you succeed in getting that, even though it comes respect-free ;)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On nerfing Stealthing, just make auto-detect work on Siege and half again more effective. If players want to hunt other players they have to train the two skills to find those that Stealth. We have to dump 200 training points into Hide & Stealth for defense, PKers should have to put a couple hundred training points into the skills to find us.

Runebooks being able to be charged with Gate scrolls on Siege would be good.

Ghost Houses are a problem. They do need to go away. We must have a couple hundred houses per active player here. After say, a year, without the owner logging onto Siege, toss the house contents data file into storage and drop the house. If the owner eventually pops back in, they can place a new house and recover their items from the data file.

Let us bring in most deco items from prodo. Being able to have a nice looking house on Siege like the old timers here would be really nice and make Siege more attractive to new players. A 500 billion gold rare might be only worth a couple hundred thousand gold here, but it would still make good deco for the owner.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you dont have to say anything constructive just say nothing at all. Trolling decent people with a wonderful reputation is nothing else but childish and dumb. Just look for other threads you can contribute to.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you dont have to say anything constructive just say nothing at all. Trolling decent people with a wonderful reputation is nothing else but childish and dumb. Just look for other threads you can contribute to.
Everything I said was constructive, this player needs to accept the fact that Siege Perilous is an outdated concept and move on.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's funny because I have no idea why I indeed was afraid to vote....strange....

The most viable one in my view, Freja, is making Siege free to play, which is what I interpreted the last option as.
Yes somewhat, let players play there if they return the game. They should not be allowed to place a house and maybe we need other limits too, like can't vote for a Governor or run for it, that would have to be worked out.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why try (and fail) to belittle someone who does? Freja has a thick skin; you're not going to get to her with sociopathic casual bile.
LOL, this are true :p

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything I said was constructive, this player needs to accept the fact that Siege Perilous is an outdated concept and move on.
"Ridiculous, dumb and pointless" - these are your words. Is that your way to be constructive? Sorry, not my definition of a constructive contribution to a discussion. But maybe you discuss things this way... Makes me sad...

However, what you pretend to be facts ("outdated") are "in fact" opinions. Simple difference. Think about it...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
On nerfing Stealthing, just make auto-detect work on Siege and half again more effective. If players want to hunt other players they have to train the two skills to find those that Stealth. We have to dump 200 training points into Hide & Stealth for defense, PKers should have to put a couple hundred training points into the skills to find us.
That's not the reason most of us or at least me want to nerf it. What is way more annoying is, when attacked/fighting a stealther and he see, he can't win, he then hide and stealth away.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate to say but this is what I think also, revert the game back to 1999 or something and I'd give it a go. No heavy items and blah blah but with all the handcuffs seige has I'd not bother again.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hate to say but this is what I think also, revert the game back to 1999 or something and I'd give it a go. No heavy items and blah blah but with all the handcuffs seige has I'd not bother again.
Now the question was not, what will make you play a pre AoS Fel shard, it what will make you play Siege.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now the question was not, what will make you play a pre AoS Fel shard, it what will make you play Siege.
Siege mostly died with AOS, a huge part of the population quickly decamped to a free shard and what is left is dying a lingering death.
The insurance/item heavy model that the game is developed for just does not suit Siege.
Giving people a second house on Siege has failed as a solution. A pre-AoS free to play shard would save it.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make it a pre AOS shard. When looking at the options and what I know of the shard it's a 1 char area that has some but not all of the aspects of a normal shard. Where is the draw for me? Give me what the free shards have done in replicating the hardness that was my glory days of UO with no insurance, no stupid resists, no stupid items, no stupid and I'd love to struggle with you but the current form is a little more than a failed adventure.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Giving people a second house on Siege has failed as a solution. A pre-AoS free to play shard would save it.
No it would kill Siege, Pre AoS was a different game, not the game we have now. I'm not saying, a Pre AoS shard would not get players but this thread is not about Pre AoS, it's about Siege and the game we have now.
Feel free to make a Pre AoS shard thread.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I realize this may well be what you believe you were doing. And it was a bit harsh of me to refer to your remarks as sociopathic. In the strict - rather than the inflammatory - sense, that word means a failure to understand how other people feel. But I should have chosen other words to express that. Lack of empathy, perhaps, or lacking respect for an earnest, intelligent long time player who doesn't need the advice of any of us on what's best for her.

Some folks clearly find this annoying and I would have greater sympathy for their views if they were FORCED TO READ her threads.

I find Freja's regular advocacy for her home shard, and her search for consensus on how to improve it, noble and, frankly, inspiring. Besides, she's a freaking Viking for crissakes and could kick my ass :)

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it would kill Siege, Pre AoS was a different game, not the game we have now. I'm not saying, a Pre AoS shard would not get players but this thread is not about Pre AoS, it's about Siege and the game we have now.
Feel free to make a Pre AoS shard thread.
Dont bother Bonnie said it is impossible during one of her last rants...opps I mean shard meetings. How it can be impossible for a professional team of developers to make a shard that teenage kids can make in their spare time baffles me. Kinda reminds we GW Bush Jr said it would take 12-15 years to go back to the moon....I was sitting here thinking....it took less then 10 years when Kennedy did it in the 60's.......

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Everything is impossible when you don't want to do the work or can't see the reward.
I sure understand the wish for a 1997-1999 shard but would players also pay to play there?
I also understand the problem Siege do have with items. Using hours to put a perfect PvP suit together, only to lose it 2 min after is no fun. That's why some of us believe, better access to items could solve it. More real artifact drop, more resource drop inc. Imbuing resources, VvV artifacts but useable of all and not to forget, less vendor fee.

With that, we would see much better stocked vendors and to a much cheaper price. If the items you want get easy to get, PvP will again be about skills and not items.

Some say, just add Item Insurance but we also know, a lot love the looting part :devil: No, I do never loot unless I get mad, but I accept the risk.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Dont bother Bonnie said it is impossible during one of her last rants...opps I mean shard meetings. How it can be impossible for a professional team of developers to make a shard that teenage kids can make in their spare time baffles me. Kinda reminds we GW Bush Jr said it would take 12-15 years to go back to the moon....I was sitting here thinking....it took less then 10 years when Kennedy did it in the 60's.......
Yea, maybe they should log in the most popular Pre AOS shard and see how many people are playing there. They have to actually increase the land mass because its so over populated in hunting areas. Needless to say its thriving. I know its been said this is not a thread for a new shard, but in all honesty I dont think there is anything they can change to make people want to play Siege nor do they have the ability to do it. The guys creating these free shards are making tons of money doing it, probably out of their parents basement. I think broadsword needs to hire a few of them. @Mesanna

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not the reason most of us or at least me want to nerf it. What is way more annoying is, when attacked/fighting a stealther and he see, he can't win, he then hide and stealth away.
Then use the enhanced Detect Hidden and Tracking to keep hunting his hide down and finish him off. Perhaps have the steather's skill be 5% less effective for 5 minutes each time he gets found (same tracker or his party) and it's accumulative, 10% less for 5 minutes next time he's found within the first five minutes, then 15% within that following five minutes and so on. Two properly trained PKers in a party could definitely ruin a stealthers stealthing pretty quickly.

While the target getting away is annoying for the pker, it's a thrill for the target. I've gotten away with an entirely red health bar on one occasion. definitely a rush for me. :gee:

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UOF isn't so popular (well, sort of) because it's pre-AOS or FFA PVP, but because it's the last living UO freeshard and the last hardcore UO lovers who can't afford to/don't want to pay gathered there.

And even those 800 people online will do so for how long? Nobody knows.
Making Siege free would surely attract people and maybe lure some into subscribing for production shards again.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Free or not isn't the question.

I sure understand the wish for a 1997-1999 shard but would players also pay to play there?
I also understand the problem Siege do have with items. Using hours to put a perfect PvP suit together, only to lose it 2 min after is no fun. That's why some of us believe, better access to items could solve it. More real artifact drop, more resource drop inc. Imbuing resources, VvV artifacts but useable of all and not to forget, less vendor fee.

With that, we would see much better stocked vendors and to a much cheaper price. If the items you want get easy to get, PvP will again be about skills and not items.

Some say, just add Item Insurance but we also know, a lot love the looting part :devil: No, I do never loot unless I get mad, but I accept the risk.
This isn't anything better than a normal shard with a collection silly game hindering rules.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually this is the most ungallant post of the year.

Why respond - at all - to a thread regarding a shard you don't care about? Why try (and fail) to belittle someone who does? Freja has a thick skin; you're not going to get to her with sociopathic casual bile.

Was it to feel smarter or in some way superior? Or just to get attention. Hmmm....I guess you succeed in getting that, even though it comes respect-free ;)
For starters, I find this hilarious. You accuse him posting his opinion as a ploy to feel smarter, yet you intentionally and unnecessarily beef up the vocabulary of your post. Congrats, Mr Kettle.

Secondly, who are you to decide who can and cannot post in a thread? The fact of the matter is, Siege is a dead server for a reason. Its ideal was great back when the game wasn't item dependant, and before the times of item insurance. Part of the glory and fun of siege, was that you could be a Shadowclan Orc, with nothing but an orc mask and some ringmail on and actually be able to play the game. Now, all you have to worry about is stealth tamers, thieves, and other types of stealth characters. But that's if you are lucky, the last 10 times ive logged in, there has been no general chat response, nobody to be found anywhere.

I realize the entire post is how to entice players to come to Siege, but this is like trying to entice someone to eat a moldy piece of cheese, when there are tables of food available all around you.

UO Production shards are dying, but lets face it. Siege died a long time ago.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I realize this may well be what you believe you were doing. And it was a bit harsh of me to refer to your remarks as sociopathic. In the strict - rather than the inflammatory - sense, that word means a failure to understand how other people feel. But I should have chosen other words to express that. Lack of empathy, perhaps, or lacking respect for an earnest, intelligent long time player who doesn't need the advice of any of us on what's best for her.

Some folks clearly find this annoying and I would have greater sympathy for their views if they were FORCED TO READ her threads.

I find Freja's regular advocacy for her home shard, and her search for consensus on how to improve it, noble and, frankly, inspiring. Besides, she's a freaking Viking for crissakes and could kick my ass :)
This poster has their own Shard specific forum to post her Siege Perilous nonsense on. And a quick glance over there just proves how desperate this player is to try to force people onto a shard that no one cares for. The people have spoken and left it in shambles. I won't go posting on her posts in the Siege Perilous forums, but if they want to come to U.Hall to preach their garbage server then I will respond.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This poster has their own Shard specific forum to post her Siege Perilous nonsense on. And a quick glance over there just proves how desperate this player is to try to force people onto a shard that no one cares for. The people have spoken and left it in shambles. I won't go posting on her posts in the Siege Perilous forums, but if they want to come to U.Hall to preach their garbage server then I will respond.
The post are here because I try to steal your Atlantic PvP friends :)
Fear me :p

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this rate, the only thing that would make me play any shard outside of Atlantic is another populated server.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO forcing people onto a shard .... thats funny I wonder how she is FORCING people I wonder if she is twisting people's arms.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I know Frejas heart is in the right place, I have to cringe a little at yet another thread that only seems to be painting us who call this shard home, into an even darker corner. :-(