• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poll: Power Hour changes!

G

This is how Power Hour is going to work:
<blockquote><hr>

To resolve this issue, power hour will now be calculated based on the players’ play time, rather than the shards’ local time.

Players will experience a power hour during their first hour of play a character within a 24 hour period, which means that technically, the power hour will be refreshed 23 hours after the previous power hour has ended. If a player does not log in for over 24 hours, their power hour will begin as soon as they log in, and last for the full hour.

As an example, a player who logs in at 8:00 PM local time will experience a power hour that will last until 9:00 PM. They will not be able to experience another power hour during that 24 hour period, so they will not receive another power hour until at least 8:00 PM the following day. If they do not log in again until 10:00 PM, they will experience their full power hour, beginning at 10:00 PM and lasting until 11:00 PM. The following day, they will not be able to experience a power hour until at least 10:00 PM local time.

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=green> Take Care </font color=green>
<font color=green> Zayin </font color=green>

G

If you log in at 8 as you say, and don't complete the PH. Let's say log off at 8:30. It still resets at 8 the next day...correct? Is the remaining 30 minutes lost or can you log back in later to complete that time? If so, does the PH timer now go from the time you actually finished 1 hour of being online with that character?
I'm glad this system is easier than 12 midnight.....sheeeeeeeeeesh!

--------------------
Stress: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living crap out of some bunghole who desperately deserves it.

G

Im sorry i have to coment on this.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF AND I ABSOLUTLY HATE IT.

What the hell kind of drugs are they doing in the osi building?

So bassically if we want to stay up late on the weekends then the next day were screwed for getting a ph for that day.

If they dont change this i think many people are going to get mad. This is the dumbest thing osi ever did since releasing 3d.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif<font color=EE2C2C>GoodGuy</font color=EE2C2C>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif

<center>
</center> <font color=EE2C2C><center><a target="_blank" href=http://69-studios.com/scarlet/>http://69-studios.com/scarlet/</a></center></font color=EE2C2C>

V

Vidi

Ive already started a new ebay account

if this isnt changed and soon Ill be selling the items on my accounts and then canceling my account completely

I will not sell the account. I won't quit in anger without hitting OSI in the pocketbook as I go.

Sure its only 20 bucks a month ( a drop in the bucket ) but that 20 bucks less theyll be getting from me

They keep reminding us that UO is ONLY A GAME. Well, I shouldnt need to keep a ledger to figure out if I can work my craftsman again

Vidi- Pure Warrior
Darwin- Tamer Bard Mage ( you hate me )
Thraxas- Mule extrordinaire
Lui- Scribe Alchemist Fisherman
Daevyd S'nna-Archer/Mage

<a target="_blank" href=http://shadowpriests.8m.net> Shadow Priest homepage</a>

G

dont quit come on.

Quiting is just dumb but if we tell them how much we dont like it then they will change it back.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif<font color=EE2C2C>GoodGuy</font color=EE2C2C>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/evild.gif

<center>
</center> <font color=EE2C2C><center><a target="_blank" href=http://69-studios.com/scarlet/>http://69-studios.com/scarlet/</a></center></font color=EE2C2C>

G

Makes no difference to me. So people will have to remember when they logged in big deal.

<center>

E

Ereshkigal

While it makes no diference to me at the moment. Im sure someday Ill want to GM something new and Ill miss it. (I GMed most stuff before PH).

G

THIS BETTER BE CHANGED, JUST CUZ OSI BLOWS MY , DOESNT MEAN THEY MESS WITH PH, GOD IT IS TOO CONFUSING, LEAVE IT AT A CERTAIN TIME, THE RPG PART OF IT IS, WHEN YOU FIRST WAKE UP RIGHT? WELL THEN HAVE IT SO IT STARTS AT 7 OR 8 LOCAL TIME, BACK THEN THEY WOKE UP AT THAT TIME ABOUT, DO THAT ANYTHING, THIS ME STUFF, IS !

You See: Luigi *Starts to roll a blunt*/php-bin/shared/images/icons/roll.gif
10 seconds later....
You See: Luigi *Rolls an exceptional blunt*
You See: Luigi *tokes up* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smoke.gif
You See: Luigi *hic* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

P

Pacrat

One might actually think it means they're listening to anybody(LOL!!!).

It'll be Hell, but it's still inevitable.
They've got it in their minds to do this, no matter the consequences.

<center>The Geese will rule, and the Salamanders will speak French.</center><center>(Just a small taste of the havoc wrought by the 4D client for UO!)</center>

<center>
</center>

I

imported_Davo_

i honestly dont understand whats so bad about it............

<center>

"I don't condone or support the use of drugs, but I want you to give a big
round of applause for drugs in general, because drugs are what
it took to get the Backstreet Boys off tour." ~Mark Hoppus </center>

E

Eram

What a bunch of brittle personalities out there.

C'mon folks, it's just another change, and a pretty minor one at that. You still get one PH a day,
if stat rise is what turns you on. The only difference is that we won't all be quite so beset by
the surge in phour-gamers logging in at 11 p.m. Saturday night so they can run off two straight
hours. Big toot. In case you haven't figured it out yet, you can't "win" UO, no matter how hard
you try, or how much you phour-game it.

I wish some of the ranters would head over to Spiels 'n Rants, where this kind of stuff is
an artform, rather than shouting IN ALL CAPS in UHall. *hehe*

G

I could handle it but i think they should put it back to 12pm again just to make things more simple.

If its not broke dont fix it.

<center>

I

imported_Davo_

it is broken. the hours it starts are all messed up, arent they?

methinks they cant fix it back to how it was, so they propose a change they might possibly be able to do

<center>

"I don't condone or support the use of drugs, but I want you to give a big
round of applause for drugs in general, because drugs are what
it took to get the Backstreet Boys off tour." ~Mark Hoppus </center>

I

Ingesticide

OMG, if this little tiny change really has you that upset that you want to leave the game over it, then obviously you must just be looking for an excuse for yourself to quit and this game no longer has any value to you. You still get your one PH a day, per character, this change isn't THAT bad, geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, the whining over this tiny alteration is worse than the whining that accompanied older, really nasty changes.

<center>

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity,
and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

D

Dor of Sonoma

...it don't make no nevermind to me.

I could be mistaken, but it seems that the players whom are mainly upset over the change are those whom began playing after Power Hour was initially introduced.

Most vets I know could not care less. Many of us did our best to ignore the danged thing in the first place.

Trust me, folks...it is possible to GM not just one, but SEVERAL skills, without ever, ever using a Power Hour!

Amazing, but true. :p

~Dor

<font color=blue>The Lone Ranger</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>Guildmaster,</font color=purple><font color=red>Sonoma War Games</font color=red>

G

I agree. I posted a the bulk of my thoughts on the subject in EagleEyes post below, but to summarize I couldn't care less. Who cares? Dor you are right about when people began playing. Myself and the few people that I know well in game all have accounts bordering on 4 years now, and none of us could care less. I know PH's have been in the game for almost 2 years now, but I honestly still consider them an amusing novelty at best. Almost four years and I have never had a 7Xgm character! And I love UO! Imagine that people, you can have fun and play the game and do not need any skill to be 100, wow what a concept. There are always some people who get mad and leave when a major change goes in(at least major for some people). The funny thing is that they always say how they are leaving and their friends are leaving, but UO some how goes on. To those people who are gonna leave w/o their precious power hour, "Have a nice life, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out".

You can't please everybody, that's for sure. I remember when this same craziness was happening in Uhall years ago(remember the original board?), over OSI changing to the current rep system(yes, many of you probably don't know that there was another rep system before the current fame/karma deal). Hehe, people were threatening to quit then too.

<font color=000080>The wisest man is he who admits he knows nothing.<font color=000080>

H

Helping Hand

No way. I refuse to believe that. You HAVE to be joking. :)

You know I remember those days, but I do like using PH for those impossible to raise skills (remember 92.something Anatomy, EI, and Hiding anyone?). I myself do not care how they put it in... I am just glad it is in. Sure we could raise skills back then, but I would not wish those kind of gains on my worst enemies.

If they wanna make me happy just bring back Abyss. Wipe the dust off of the server it is probably still stored on and fire it on up.

P

Primat

Well, I don't like the idea. Not everyone has a regular schedule and in the long run, for me, it'd mean missing powerhours and put me at a disadvantage towards people who get to play more often. I fail to see how this change could be convenient for anyone actually.

Ideally, IMO, power hour should reset during server refresh but I'd rather just see it abolished altogether.

G

Personally...I can see that people like to have a regular time that they KNOW they will have a PH...
And I can see how people liked having back-to-back power hours....

Yet look at it from this perspective...the new player. I have heard of MANY people complaining at how easy it is for a new player to get started and how "hard" us vets had it. This is a little step in balancing that out...same number of PH's...you just have to use your time a little more wisely.

Apart from all of that though, here is the main reason I LOVE the new ph change: LESS LAG!
I would DREAD being online at midnight or 11pm....cause I new that my lag in UO would increase GREATLY as everyone and their mother all logs in at the same time to train in PH. Now people will be taking their ph at different times than other players...thus there will be less lag for EVERYONE.

So if the Dev team put this question to all of you that are complaining: "If we could reduce the lag during certain times of the day by changing the times of PH, would you be happy about it?"

Personally, I would answer a resounding YES!

I fear only the lag demons!
Gloin, 5XGM Archer/Axeman Dex/php-bin/shared/images/icons/monkey.gifof Catskills
Astor Delvaar, 3XGM, Master lockpicker, dungeon diver.
Johny Two Times, 5GM Assassin/Fencer
"Am I stripes or solids?"

L

Lemia

For people who don't understand what the big deal is:

1) Power hour cannot be "broken up." If you log onto a character, thus activating his power hour, you HAVE to use that hour NOW. You cannot use 20 mins now, log off, and come back later to use the rest of your power hour

2) You get less power hours if you don't log in every 24 hours.

Example:
You play at night on Monday, so your next PH is Tuesday night.
Tuesday you can only play in the afternoon, so no power hour for you!
Wednesday you play at night again in PH. Your next PH is Thursday night.
Thursday you play in the afternoon (not pH yet remember!), no power hour for you!
Friday you play at night....

Etc, etc, etc

3) no more back to back power hours (not a big deal for me personally)

Witness the miracle of birth as the young monkey hatches from its protective shell...

I

Ingesticide

You could NEVER carry over unused PH time that you logged off for. When you logged, that counter kept going, it's always been that way, why so many people don't know that is sooooo far beyond me.

<center>

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity,
-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

H

Helping Hand

Actually it did carry over. This was something told to us Counselors in one of our chats with a member of the "powers that be" that we used to have. They told us straight up that it did carry over and to make sure that if any players asked about it to let them know that.

I

Ingesticide

That it didn't carry over. Oh well, what matters now is that it won't, so deal. If yer not ready to play UO, then don't play. If something comes up, I think you sacrifice one power hour, it's not going to kill you in any event. PH should have never even been introduced, at least, that's my own opinion, argue if you will, it's more trouble than it ever has been worth. I just couldn't imagine some of these people back before PH, probably all the same ones who exploited every cheat in the game because they couldn't handle actually earning a skill.

Oh well, my debating brings me up to post 4,000 on a side note, heh, always love a good war.

<center>

-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

S

spinkickr

congrats, whats your big curiousity?

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

H

Helping Hand

Hmmm. I just posted what we as Counselors were told and I am told if I am not ready to play UO then don't? Ok...

Whether it should have been introduced or not it was. It is loved by too many people to ever be taking out (even those of us that "dealt" in the old days).

Even back then there were skills that were ALOT easier than the ones are now even with PH helping. Lockpicking on one chest to GM. The key trick for tinkering. Cancelling the window for bowcraft. Tame/release/retame/release/retame. EI or anatomy on a town crier. LEGAL unattended. Sitting behind a bit of rock to GM Resist or Archery. Provoking the same 2 trapped animals in your house. Dueling polar bears in your house all the way to GM. Using trapped wisps to GM Resist. The list can go on and on. Yes PH made it easier on alot of skills, but there are those that were even easier back than. I myself prefer PH, but I cannot say it was all bad back then.

What most players should be happy about is that they are even doing their best to keep PH in. If I had it my way we would go to RoT on all of the shards and we would get Abyss back.

I

Ingesticide

They don't get it every night if their schedules won't allow, but they still have it. People should be able to live with the fact that maybe they might miss some PH's, but I just think it's being blown out of proportion for something that isn't even being taken away from them.

My only question is, if it was this way from the start, and it's how people were accustomed to it, would people then whine if they made the change to the old ways?

<center>

-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

I

Ingesticide

I do not strive to answer these questions, I simply strive to find more questions.

<center>

-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

H

Helping Hand

Come on now. You know as well as I do there cannot be a change without at least some whining going on. Hmmm. Actually scratch that. I should say MOST changes. Nobody complained when skill locks came in.

The thing that confuses me the most is the same as what quite a few people cannot understand. As you said... there still IS a PH, just in a different time frame system. All should be happy with that. What I think they should do is take it out completely for about one or two weeks then put it in with their new changes. So many people would be happy to get it back they would be too busy celebrating and macroing away to complain...much.

S

spinkickr

sure be funny is someone say, set the reset to 96 hours instead of 24.....

<center>Chung Sin Il Do Ha Sa Bul Sung</center>

Z

Zenroth

Doesnt bother me, but then again im moving to seige and looking forward to ROT when its back in. Oh well

A

Ambrosia Vayu

My God. I can not believe people are so UPSET over a silly change in power hour! Personally I wish they would do away with it all together. Would these people then quit just because they couldnt GAIN super fast at a certain time? Come on folks...

G

Since I've seen posts where people are saying they are going to quit over this minor change, I'd have to say yes they would probably leave.

<center>

G

I dont care. Personally i would love it, that power hour would be gone! back to basics !!

old scool uo gain methods r the best.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.destiny.xs3.com> Visit Our Guild Site </a>

G

I would love it if they would leave !!!

they r not real uo players!

they are game abusers.

G

However it IS a riot seeing all of the "Power Hour ruined UO" people whining at the "nerfing" of Power Hour. I think that furtehr shows that the 3 day GM characters aren't made by newbies, but by Veterans with new characters.

"When UO dies, these (Player run shards and Emulators) will be the remnants of the game." - Priam

of LS [GM Mad Scientist; NMA]

G

This change is very dumb. I do not have the time to keep a log book of when each of my chars logs in and when he is in power hour. If I play at 5pm one day the next day my ph is at 5pm, but if I log in late at say 6pm, now my PH is at 6pm. The next day I cant get in till late, like 10pm, now my Damn PH is at 10pm each day unless I decide to skip a day. The I can start the entire nightmare all over again. The only way this will work if there is a green light or something on your paperdoll that lights up during PH. This is just messed up.

Darkblade

G

Actually you get a sound (sounds like curse?) when your PH starts. ATM you too get an error message but that is being fixed soon (as IGMs say). Dunno if you get another message then :).

<a target="_blank" href=http://uodr.stratics.com/ideas/messages/99354751525475.html>Get rid of IDOC signs.</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.uobuy.com>UO Buy - THE Auctionsite</a>

G

Like curse? u see sparkles too, to say, HEY u r in ph??

omg
hehehe

this really makes me feel like a newbie.. twinkel twinkel little star, now u can gain, weherever u are., name a skill, and name your will, i will make you a Super Star.. GM RESIST

*Twinkle twinkle Gm resist it will be*

W

Wolfran

Due to the hours that i work it means that im only going to get a PH every other day which impreses me little!!
There are more important and pressing things that need to be changed and i dont think power is one of them!!

LEAVE IT AS IT IS OSI U FOOLS!!!

Thats not a monster!! THIS is a Monster!!!!!
Wolfran of cheese............I mean Cheseapeake!!
Aronax of Europa

G

Since I can only play on weekends and part of Friday, it means that on any one character I'll be reduced from three potential power hours to two unless I reschedule my playing times.

So I'll either lose one or reschedule. I suppose I'll deal with it one way or the other. Unless, of course, they return to the original schedule or have it reset at maintenance, which to me were in all practicality the same.

I really love Dermott's and Dor's comments.

To Ambrosia--if they do away with power hour, they should also do away with the fast gains due to UOA, don't you think?

To those who are planning to quit because of the changes: get real.

And finally, I do have been wondering about the drugs EA/OSI has been imbibing. I've been wondering whether they're really good or really bad. If really good, they must be doing them a lot and neglecting their jobs. If really bad, it must have adversely affected their minds. Either way, the results are the same, wouldn't you say?

No bartenders--FIX THE BUGS! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

Real men don't use UOA.

I renounce all facet citizenshipry. *you see Cynewulf, the Man Without a Facet*

Explorer 93%, Socializer 60%, Achiever 46%, Killer 0%

T

The Working Man

As a player who plays the game, and fits it part-time into a schedule primarily driven by the real world and my priorities there (here), this affects me not at all.
I appreciate eliminating the midnight lag.
I appreciate some kind of a flag letting me know I am in Power Hour so I can adjust my play to suit (if I choose to).
I appreciate that sometimes fixing something means you have to change it.
And, I appreciate that this is a game, not an alternative to my real life, but a toy to help enhance it.
I will reserve my passion for my children, my wife, and my job.
:ighten up. Geeze.

<center>Have I mentioned lately what a fine job you are doing?.</center>
<center>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/chatter.gif</center>

G

This change is really not as bad as ppl make it out to be. I mean you get one hour of "power hour" per day per char. That is you can have up to 5 power hours per day if im reading this right. You just need to keep track of when you log in for now. Im sure that the OSI programmers will find out a way to help the players keep track if your in PH or not. You may get some sort of text at log in saying that your in PH. My account is 20 months old and this change is not a big deal to me. I could argue, but why bother. ITS NOT THAT BAD. I mean they could have taken out 8x8. For alot of people that would have killed them!!!! Just play the game jezzzzzzzzzzzz.

<center><font color=red>*your pet looks confused*</font color=red></center>
<center>
</center>
<center><font color=green>Courage is not the absence of fear, but action in the face of it!</font color=green></center>

S

Succabus

the concept is good, IMHO since there are large group of players that work 8 hours a day.

but the actual implementation SUX! it totally screwed up my macro for each charc. and I saw more ERROR line prompt up, not to mention I still haven't heard that sound of PH and GM told me I m bugged?! HTF can I fix myself if you GMs can't fix it for me? unless I own the freaking server!

*piss*

but.... what am I going to use PH on? I gm everything I need to gm! LOL. silly me =] and Thank you Cinder Phame. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

91% rallerrat -- 53% spamrat -- 46% packrat -- 13% sleeprat/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

I kinda like it the way it is right now. If I want two power hours in a row I just log in at 6pm and log out at 8pm. That's much easier than staying up until 12 midnight to get 2 power hours in a row because I like to sleep.

The ph change will not make much difference for me though because I don't play as much as I used to.

<font color=purple>Signature...</font color=purple><font color=red> I don't need no stink'n signature.</font color=red> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/takethat.gif

I've been a Visitor, Adventurer, Journeyman and now a Seasoned Veteran, but I'm really a /php-bin/shared/images/icons/newbie.gif.

Thank you Succabus for the shard logo. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

K

kilor

Whats the big deal with being able to set your own ph. You can make it for whatever time you want. So what if you miss it. Catch it the following day. Its not like you lost ph all together. Like said before if I wanna work a skill I don't just do the ph. I work it sometimes the whole time I am online. I wish osi would go back to they way it was in the beginning. Get rid of ph all together. And get rid of all the whinners.

U

Ubara

Just goes to show how OSI loves to take something that has worked forever and make it completely difficult and unbearble to deal with. I used to be able to log on and know exactly when each of my 10 characters had their power hour. Now I log on and walk around in a stupor wondering if I should go work my skills or stand around and pick my nose.

Ubara
Atlantic

P

Puppy

I frankly can't understand why people aren't more upset. Unless you can play every single day at the same time for an uninterrupted hour, you simply won't get a power hour every day. To the folks who say that it's great because you can now set your power hour times, you sure can, but the only way to take full advantage of the new system is if you rearrange all your RL activities, events, and emergencies so that you can always play at the same time for a full hour each sitting, or else you lose your power hour for the day. At least the old way I knew that my characters each had a power hour when I first logged them on each day, no matter what time, and if I had to log off before PH was over I could log on later that day and finish up with the time I had left.

No, ultimately it's not a big deal, and I was around way before PH so I'm neither whining because it's been changed nor whining because it hasn't been taken out entirely. I'm just angry that the only people who will now fully benefit from the new system are the ones who apparently have no responsibilities beyond UO. I have a life beyond UO, but when I do play UO I'd like to have the same ability to gain skills as someone who can sit in front of the computer day and night without moving except to go to the bathroom. I'm not a powergamer and I don't want my gains handed to me on a silver platter, but if PH is going to exist then it should be made available CONVENIENTLY to people who can't always play at the same time every day. Without PH you have to use a lot more raw materials when working crafts skills, which take a long time simply to gather, and crafts skills are what I enjoy most about the game.

Vote for my new horse hue idea <a target="_blank" href=http://uodr.stratics.com/ideas/messages/9970528725653.html>here</a>

M

MinorMage

Right on target Puppy.

PH was created for the casual gamer and to get rid of unattended macroing.

So much for the casual gamer.....

B

BanMeNot

That new PH changes is really bad, this is hard to keep track when is the char.'s ph come (my barebone computer don't have Sound card), Man :( , I really suggust OSI should keep the old ph schedules as midnight. New PH changes makes player harder to gain skills, REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA.

BanMeNot

A

Aleata

Ok I again tried to work my power hour and even got the tone telling me i was in power hour.... this is the 5th char in a row that i have tried and gotten ZERO power hour on over a 3 day time period.... I don't know if others are seeing this but my husband is having exactly the same results on his chars that I am...

NOT happy about NO gains :(