• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poisoning and Potion Timers

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been following the thread, since the original posting.

The momentum was good and the ideas well thought out so I'd rather not derail it as seems to be the case whenever a dev posts.

I've also refrained from posting since there's a significant tendency for an idea, opinion or theory to be taken as what will be rather than idle speculation.

The difficulty with poisoning, and consumables in UO's current iteration is the interdependency.
Can't make and really significant changes to poisoning without looking at methods to getting rid of poison.

Anyway that'll get me side tracked.

Potion Timers: I really don't like them, much more of a DR fan, even though mentioning that makes the boards light up with screams of bloody murder.

And if i know somone can't drink a cure potion for 5 seconds, I'm guaranteed to poison them every 5 seconds.

Which is basically the game play formula. Find the most useful thing to do, and do it as much as possible.

At the same time, maybe poison could also be affected by DR. So if you are poisoned and you cure it by using a skill, you may have either a short immunity to poison, or the next poison will be less effective on you.

Of course that would have to go through at the same time, and its a large scope small window change. (That is, it impacts alot but people will only focus on a small area of the impact).

Similar to potion timers for some of the other things like stamina. On the small side it just allows people to swing at max speed, so ah small change. Take that over into fel, and a timer means you have a guaranteed block for a limited time. (One of the draft versions of the bard abilities had a constant stam drain, but that could essentially eliminate a player's ability to run around a facet)

Anyway its not that we aren't reading, following or considering, its quite helpful to read through and see balancing ideas that help to shape how stuff may be done. Its more of a I like where this is going and I dont want to throw a wrench in the works.