• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Please help returning player with template

Z

Zomeguy

I am currently raising some barding skills to create a mage/bard PvM character. Being a retuning player, I have still to get used to the item based game play.

I have currently the following (real skill):
Magery 110
Eval int 100 (soulstoned)
Meditation 100
Resist 100
Wrestling 100
Provocation 91
Peace 95
Music 101

I initially intended to raise all the barding skills to 120, but I just realized that I would not be able to use jewelry to go over the 720 skill cap, right? When should I stop raising the skills and look for items?

Of course Wrestling will have to go and probably pick up Disco over Peace, but I am still confused what to do next.
Could you please help with the template and the skill interaction with jewelry?

Thanks all.

5% Luck

120 provoke
120 discord
120 music
120 magery
100 eval
100 med
120 resist (95 w/protection)

You can in fact go over the 720 cap with skill plus items.

I suggest soulstoning the peace and wrestling get a -0 mage wep and concentrate on discord/provoke.

I use a travesty mask for provoke and my ring is 15 resist 14 discord 9 provoke 1 fc. the bracelet is 15 resist 14 discord 8 provoke and 3 fcr. I wear a vesper chaos shield and a slayer book most of the time but when i end up in melee range too often I swap in a -0 mage wep(swords of prosperity)

The other thing you should be doing is either find a good imbuer and have them make you some items or trying your hand at imbueing yourself and see if its a fit for you.

There are other routes you can go as far as skills. But this is the one I found works for me.

Z

Zomeguy

Very helpfull, thanks.

I am still not sure how the skill bonus of the items work though.

If I understand correctly, you did not actually train your barding skills to 120, more like the following?
Provo 93 (+27 items)
Resist 90 (+30)
Disco 92 (+28)

5% Luck

With the bard skills yes thats correct but on the resist since I am casting protection(-35 resist spells skill) I trained it to 100 -35 is 65 +30(skill jewlery)= 95

I miss posted the template in the earlier post as I have had a few incarnations of this template including the one similar to the one I posted but the above is my current set up. I used to have a shroud of deceit for an extra 10 resist but found it wasn't necessary.

I ended up only using one artifact and that was the travesty mask as much as I tried to incorporate more I just found 5 imbued armor pieces and 2 imbued jewelry pieces was the best solution for me.

Now that I have the char logged in:

Ring 9 provoke 14 discord 15 resists spells 3 FCR 26 luck
Brace 8 provoke 14 discord 15 resist spells FC1 2 ER

The reason I chose the bard skills for the jewlery was they are just harder to train and make sure they they are over 90 real so as to still get the mastery bonuses. Then the resist is to compensate the protection spell.

The rest of the suit is post-imbued enhanced(forged metal tool) to 70/70/70/70/75 100 LRC 40 LMC 10 mr 8 MI and 25 HPI I also include shadow cloak of rejuv conj garb and a crimson(more artis I know but not armor). I also wear a totem of the void to finish the LMC.

In my hands I carry a slayer according to spawn and a vesper chaos shield 2/5 casting (under protection is 0/5) and either a staff of pyros(undead slayer woot) or swords of prosperity. I tend to use the book/shield alot more often but when the occasion calls for it the -0 mage weps are a life saver.

I haven't picked up a sash slot item for this guy just yet as I feel at this point that's more or less just fluff. I would go lieutenant sash but I tend to go through more dura on this char then even my sampire!

I ride a swampy with barding armor and am looking to upgrade to a proxy.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ice west WAS a undead, someone recentlly did it
thats actually a downgrade, not a upgrade.

a proxy only gives you 10% DCI
where a normal swampy gives you 20% when the armor is GM EX made.
and of course only 10% when its not EX.

T

Tazar

I thought normal armored was 10%
Parox was 12%
and normal Excep-armored was 20%

I stick with the Parox version so I don't have to constantly find/buy armor.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just a FYI on using jewels to raise bard skills, The mastery's work off of real skill (if this matters to you if not then carry on)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I thought normal armored was 10%
Parox was 12%
and normal Excep-armored was 20%

I stick with the Parox version so I don't have to constantly find/buy armor.
could be 12
last i remember hearing it was 10

its still a downgrade from 20

PLUS..... you cant color coordinate.

really people!

5% Luck

I have been putting off the proxy for a while now. I know I would just love to stop carrying 2+ deeds in my pack when I head out to spawn or wtvr but a decrease in effectiveness? That I didnt know. I did see a big difference in the non exceptional armor. It was bad enough to hack it off with an axe!

But all those ingots... Ughhh.... What a dilemma!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
it really depends on how much you get hit.

my sampires i roll with the prox cause i sit in the middle of champ spawns getting tanked on by a billion critters.

i eat up the barding deeds like candy.

but my bard i still have the same barding deed on my swampy that i have had on it..... for years.

i made like 5, and i still have 4 in the bank and the original one on it.

granted i dont let myself get hit much.
bards are fragile people!!!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

ya, that just happened.

Z

Zomeguy

I realize this is not really bard relevant, but does any item enable to go over the 70/75 resistance cap? Stuff like the cleanup boots or vet reward cloaks f.ex...

I think until my imbuing is anywhere decent I am going to use the Sorcerer's Armor for my bard, which I guess is pretty decent for a newb.

T

Tazar

The cap is a cap - nothing will let you go over it...

except sometimes it is still worthwhile to have total points available that are over the cap. If you use a spell that lowers your resistances (Protection, etc) then the additional points can help push you back up to the cap. I run with 83 physical resist so that when I have protection on, I am still at the 70 resist cap.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I realize this is not really bard relevant, but does any item enable to go over the 70/75 resistance cap? Stuff like the cleanup boots or vet reward cloaks f.ex...

I think until my imbuing is anywhere decent I am going to use the Sorcerer's Armor for my bard, which I guess is pretty decent for a newb.
there is nothing wrong with the sorc suit.

keep in mind your gonna need to add a couple things to it to make it more usable though.
it only comes with 5 LMC, so your gonna need to get a totem of the void and a scrappers.
both are relatively cheap, and that will get ya to 25 LMC.

then a 1/2 or 1/3 with a little LMC on it to push ya over the 40 LMC cap.
that makes the suit purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

then add a shield of inv to it (has + phy resists, so when ya put on protection you dont drop down so much)

and your laughing!

at the end of the day its a mid to high level suit for a bard.
personally i need the MR on my bard suits, so i allways end up making one with imbuing that has the 100 LRC and 40 LMC and as much MR as i can cram onto it.