• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Please help, do I need a combat skill!!!!!!!??

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok i've been told from a lot of people that I need a combat skill in order for parry to be affective... When I checked out the calculator at:
UO Stratics - Parrying

it said that with 120 parry and 80 dex:

Chance of blocking with a shield: 35%
Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 20%
Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon: 20%

does that mean though that without a combat skill and just using a shield no weapon i'll block 35% of the time with 120 parry and 80 dex and with a combat skill with a one handed weapon and shield on i'll block 55% of the time? I'm trying to get down to teh bottom of this because ppl are making it seem pointless to have unless you have the combat skill, isn't 35% block better then nothing at all? I dont know though if the formula is correct,or what the actual block percentage is without having a combat skill and having 120 parry 80 dex using just a shield and no bushido either.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvM? or PvP?

If its PvP get a weapon skill or wrestling. If its PvM you can use a Use Magery Weapon. It will use your magery as a weapon skill. Except for a few artifacts there is normally a Magery Penality to the weapon.

If your a mage that has Eval & Anatomy it will act like wrestling, but only defensively.

At 80 Dex & 120 Parry yes there is 35% chance to Block the hit.

When a weapon comes into play its your weapon skill vs the monster or players skill. If you both have say 100 Sword & 100 Mace. You have a chance to block the attacker by 50%. If you have parry there is a 35% chance to block at 120 parry/80 dex if the monster/player gets past your weapons check. Those are 2 different checks.

The 20% you see is if you don`t have a shield & only have a weapon.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvM? or PvP?

If its PvP get a weapon skill or wrestling. If its PvM you can use a Use Magery Weapon. It will use your magery as a weapon skill. Except for a few artifacts there is normally a Magery Penality to the weapon.

If your a mage that has Eval & Anatomy it will act like wrestling, but only defensively.

At 80 Dex & 120 Parry yes there is 35% chance to Block the hit.

When a weapon comes into play its your weapon skill vs the monster or players skill. If you both have say 100 Sword & 100 Mace. You have a chance to block the attacker by 50%. If you have parry there is a 35% chance to block at 120 parry/80 dex if the monster/player gets past your weapons check. Those are 2 different checks.

The 20% you see is if you don`t have a shield & only have a weapon.

So are you saying that without a wep skill or weapon if I only have 80 dex 120 parry ill block 35% of the time..

AND

If I have 120 Parry 80 dex AND a combat skill or mage weapon i'll block 50% of the time? Im kind of confused, lemme know if thats right... This would be for PvP

Are you saying that with a weapon skill 120 parry 80 dex you have 50% + 35% making a total of 85% chance to block?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It scales depending on skill. If you have 100 weapon skill & the person your fighting has 120. The person with 120 has a better chance to hit you.

Yes with just 120 parry/Dex you only have 35% chance to block.

Are you saying that with a weapon skill 120 parry 80 dex you have 50% + 35% making a total of 85% chance to block?

No. The combat sequence goese through two checks first it checks your weapon skill example: 50% chance to block. Say you get hit on that check. Then there is a second check of 35% chance to block. You score a 20% on the roll, so you block the hit.

Mage weapon doese the same as above but it uses your magery skill instead of weapon skill. However if the mage weapon is -29 magery & you have 110 Magery. Your combat skill would be 81. Magery weapons are figured as Magery skill -Magery penality= Combat Skill.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It scales depending on skill. If you have 100 weapon skill & the person your fighting has 120. The person with 120 has a better chance to hit you.

Yes with just 120 parry/Dex you only have 35% chance to block.

No. The combat sequence goese through two checks first it checks your weapon skill example: 50% chance to block. Say you get hit on that check. Then there is a second check of 35% chance to block. You score a 20% on the roll, so you block the hit.

Mage weapon doese the same as above but it uses your magery skill instead of weapon skill. However if the mage weapon is -29 magery & you have 110 Magery. Your combat skill would be 81. Magery weapons are figured as Magery skill -Magery penality= Combat Skill.

The reason im asking is because i want to go with Mystic Parry mage but i wont have a combat skill in the template:

120 mage
120 eval
120 focus
120 mystic
120 parry

Will the template still be affective if ive got enough stats for the 80 dex, or is it a wasted skill? I play on a shard with a lot of dexers. All I would use is a shield and no wep.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without Resist Spells you will get eaten alive. Para, Poison, Sleep, Spell Plague, Mana Vamp, & some necro spells will kill you. This is once they find out you don`t have it.

A mage weapon will work, untill someone disarms you. However, if you have a weapon skill you can still be disarmed. There is only two options to avoid being disarmed that is either wrestling or eval & anatomy. With wrestling you get two special moves.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without Resist Spells you will get eaten alive. Para, Poison, Sleep, Spell Plague, Mana Vamp, & some necro spells will kill you. This is once they find out you don`t have it.

A mage weapon will work, untill someone disarms you. However, if you have a weapon skill you can still be disarmed. There is only two options to avoid being disarmed that is either wrestling or eval & anatomy. With wrestling you get two special moves.
Sorry I ment this template:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Parry
120 Focus
120 Mystic
120 Resist

I wont have a mage wep or any wep though but ill have 80 dex with the 120 parry... I dont know how affective it'll be though, ill have 20 MR so im not worried about med, and ill have 130+ Hp and Intel blessed no pots.

I

Immortal81

I would drop parry cause i think its waste.

The problem is as follows:

If you dont have any weaponskill or wrestling an opposing dexxer has 100% chance to hit you (without any dci and hci). lets say he swings 10 times on you then 35% of this swings will be blocked. so he hits you about six or seven times.

if you got a weapon skill on 120 oposing his 120 he only hits you 50% of the swings, thats 5 swings. 35% of this 5 swings will then be blocked so he only hits you three or four times.

i would exchange parry for wrestling because you only got hit 50% at 120 thats more reliable than the 35% blochchance of parry. second you can use the wrestling special moves like disarm. Or go with a mage weapon. but you need to raise the -20 magery through your jewelery back to 120 otherwise you only got 100 magery and therefore only 100 defense-weaponskill.

I think thats much better than only parry.

Greetings Immortal

N

NickyDishes

u need to use items so u can lower some of those skills to fit 100 anatomy in cause u already have 120 eval...... and ive been pretty sucessful with just gm parry......at gm u have 30% chance and only 5% more at 120 correct? u must have 80 dex but this can be done easily with dex incease items.....ive had 51 dex and with 50 ep, pots, and items ive reached 80 dex(with a curse).