• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing UO on an iMac - techy question

Sophi

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I just recently bought and iMac (brand new, runs OS X) my first apple computer and i absolutely LOVE it! However i found out too late that UO won't run on a mac without additional assistance - omg! So i'm looking at major techy-stuff like drive partitioning, purchase of windows blah blah blah... Which sounds like a total pain in the arse, not to mention really expensive. Then i came across mention of WINE in my handy mac manual (not included with purchase, lol) and started to have hope I wouldn't have to go through all that mess.
However, while searching the forums here for more info I came across mention that WINE is not working with the patcher so good anymore...? I checked on the WINE website, says UO is one of the games that works with it....
Can anyone tell me what the best option for me would be here? I'd rather not have to go the ultra-techy route of partitioning my drive and buying windows, but i will if i have to.
Please Help!!

Last edited:

Sophi

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
After testing all possibilities I'm using Crossover... I paid for the software after the free trial. There are good guides out there and for me it works like a dream :)
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
Thank you for the information UOsharp! I've downloaded the trial and it seems to be working really great so far. I appreciate hearing from someone who's had experience with it. I thought it was a big plus also that they have an actual phone number on their website with a real live human being on the other end, lol.
What a relief, i really wasn't looking forward to buying windows!

UOsharp

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe no issue!

The cool thing is that you can just play and stay in your mac OS without having to reboot or open a resource heavy virtual machine for just windows!

Enjoy, as Im doing that haha.

Oh btw, yes their support is awesome, they reply very fast on emails. Also, been surviving several client updates of UO :) so works like a dream