• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing out a character on RP servers

U

UrsusManor

Since i am a rookie in the MMORPG's world, and in AOC as well, i need some information from more experienced gamers relating the following issue:
How do you play out a character on RP servers? I just started a HoX, and according to the information i read Stygians are cocky, easily offended guys, who are cutting somebody's throat with pleasure.
If i play this out, how will the others perceive this? Will they know, that not the man controlling the character is annoying, rather the character itself?
How deep do you go when playing a character on RP servers?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, PR servers are mainly for RP but its rare, sadly. Most come to RP-PvP servers with same reason than I. You dont have to be what others say or descripe what you suppose to be, infact, its much neater when someone who RP well, is more like "out of the box" and I bet it gives you more this way. Roleplay what ever and how you want, its your toon ;) Roleplay your class/profession, not race.

Im semi-RP'r even I play in RP-PvP server, meaning I RP when someone around does so. Reason so is because in RP server, amount of 1337's is much much lower than in normal PvP server and when you kill, its what you do and no one whines after. Also, players seem to be more mature and experienced with MMORPG's so you find suitable companions for your adventures.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since i am a rookie in the MMORPG's world, and in AOC as well, i need some information from more experienced gamers relating the following issue:
How do you play out a character on RP servers? I just started a HoX, and according to the information i read Stygians are cocky, easily offended guys, who are cutting somebody's throat with pleasure.
If i play this out, how will the others perceive this? Will they know, that not the man controlling the character is annoying, rather the character itself?
How deep do you go when playing a character on RP servers?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

I guess I'll get shot-down by any decent RPers who play on Aquilonia, but I feel it necessary to post my experiences here:

I RP a character called Fluffi Bunni in many MMORPGs. For anyone who is interested, I'm more than welcome to explain her history, and the reasons behind her "non-RP" name.

So, I created a Fluffi on Aquilonia, with no previous experience of the game: All the game systems - combat, chat, emotes, etc, were unfamiliar. All I wanted was to spend an hour or two getting used to the game.

I got off of the beach, succeded in the first couple of quests, and made my way to the gates of the first town.
It was there that everything went sour for me.

I met a pair of other characters who greeted me with ; "This is meant to be a RP server... what sort of name is Fluffi?"
I decided not to point-out that this was a RP server, so they didn't know my name unless I tiold them.

I went through 10 minutes of their grief, with me explaining OOC that I had no idea how to emote in AoC, and that I didn't know what the rules for talking OOC were in this game.
All I got in return was... "We're experienced RPers, so show us how you RP." With no idea what the *OOC* and *emote* rules are in A0C, I told them to ****-off, and to talk to me later when I had learned a bit of the game.

.... As a personal message to the "experiencd RPer" who greeted me with "Hello Fluffi ****wit", and then spent the next 5 minutes emoting "tries to look up her skirt"... you REALLY are a crappy RPer.

As a bit of an experiment, I created a new character called "A Killer Rabbit". (but not in English)
This character wqas greeted with open-arms by the same players who had been rude to Fluffi.

So, AoC roleplaying.....

Unless your archer is called Legolas, and your warrior is called Aragorn, I guess you are going to to get grief from some of the "experienced roleplayers" who frequent this server.

NB.

This is NOT intended as a dig at the majority of RPers, it is based entirely on my own experience, which included an encounter with a couple of pathetic muppets, whos' "holier than thou" attitude was ruined by their inability to roleplay.

ps. Anyone who wants to really Rp with Fluffi of Cwningen, please just say "hello"

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe... these kind of RP'rs are exact same who starts to spam you with /tell right after you have chopped their head off, meaning they can truly go and *whistle* themselves. I left Aquilonia because I didnt find any kind of RP'ing around. In Conan, RP-PvP server is a joke, meaning how can you RP a wandering healer example if everyone are red.

Fluffi Bunny fits right in if AoC has NPC's like....

Hehe :D