• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Players coming back

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It seems like I am not the only one returning to the game after a long pause, many others are returning.

Is it because Broadsword took over? People miss the game? Other reasons?

You tell me :)

Boondocker

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It seems like I am not the only one returning to the game after a long pause, many others are returning.

Is it because Broadsword took over? People miss the game? Other reasons?

You tell me :)

In 2000-2005 I bought a game from Walmart for my son. Had no idea what it was. Turned out to be Ultimate online. We thought it was pretty cool. My wife at the time didn't like it. So we never was able to really put any time into it. :(

Well she is now my :gun: EX-wife so here I am. To Stay. :danceb:

p.s.
I don't know any Broadsword. Does he play Siege Perilous?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm interested to know, too. What's bringing people back from hiatus or private servers, and what can Stratics do to promote this trend?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back because well finally got an internet option in the remote area I moved to which previously ended any online access. No where as good of a connection as I had previous but better then the zero option I had before.

My.pvp days are over until a better option comes around but for now its just good to be back in the game.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have in fact ran into brand new players lately. One came up to me in moonglow.. with a pack horse and wanted to know how to ride it. I gave him some cash and advice and gate him to haven.

Was short on time.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
In my case...well I really can't put my finger on it, I don't know why I came back really.

I think I just Googled UO to see how the game was doing and if there were any news. Remembered some good times and wondered how was it that the game was still alive & kicking...

I got sick of F2P games and their Item Malls that cost loads of money anyway. Too many kids...UO has a more mature audience and I feel a much friendlier community...in every possible way.

So I thought why not give a true classic another shot? Well I can say that so far it looks like I came back to stay...I guess there really is no place like home. This is the kind of game that mekes me wake up earlier all by myself and no alarm clocks.

I started playing back in 2001 with the renaissance expansion, because of a friend...still had a 56kb modem and then upgraded to a super fast 512kb internet mainly to play the game without taking the phone line and also to crash less. Things sure have changed...now I have a 100Mb connection and only get disconnected when I'm idle for too long :)

Last edited:

onion456

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
i recently returned. i played very early on, before any expansions. about maybe 2001, my wife joined me in-game.

about maybe 9mos ago, i started playing Everquest again, thanks to the f2p option. had a lot of fun with it. but the dev team over there is making some pretty drastic changes, and they arent listening to a good number of players who oppose the changes. i wont go into the drama here, would take too long to explain. someone in the EQ in-game chat said something about UO also being f2p. i hadnt thought about UO for a long time, that comment brought a lot of memories back. so when all the dev drama went down, i decided to take another look at UO. the difference between the mood of EQ and the mood of UO is night and day; EQ is so intense... UO is so relaxing in comparison =) i felt like, now is my chance to leave this intense drama crap and go back to where the heart is =) after having fun with the trial, i decided to re-sub and leave EQ (recovered my old account too, hooray!). my wife saw me playing UO, and remembered the fun she had... so she re-subbed too! which is amazing, shes not really a gamer, but we are having a ton of fun playing together again.

Lord Damascus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Personally i think Broadsword should go back to UO's roots and when ever they advertise the game or recommend it as such they should concentrate on the individual roles within the game. I'll probably get shot for saying it but Garriet made an amazing move in regards to advertising his new game. He mentioned the trades/roles/player experiences that made UO the monster it was, and everyone jumped on the band wagon. That's what people want - He hit the nail on the head in an interview with Markee Dragon when he said that the most popular games on Facebook/Phones are pretty much all doable in UO 10-12 years before.

There are kids/teenagers and old buggers like me in the world that are crying out for a game like UO. The one thing that really does grip my double whopper with cheese more than anything else combined since PuB 16; is the fact that there has been NO advertisement for this game for at least the past 7 years that i know of. Yet Free to play "Build a city and wage war on your neighbour/Candy Crush style" games get PRIME TIME advertisement on T.V. I mean what the hell?! WoW is advertised with the likes of blooming Ozzy Osbourne for gods sake?! Imagine what one advert during a half decent T.V Show could do? Yeah it'd cost a fortune but surely you'd reap the rewards? UO isn't mentioned in any P.C Gaming Magazines anymore? Why not? Its still being played.. Its still relatively healthy..

I heard a rumour that there is a return to Britannia in May. Great - that's fantastic news. So... then what? - Are we advertising that? so as many people can see/enter the game as possible? - Probably not.

I reckon if as many players as possible posted on their facebook walls a link to UO trying to entice their friends into the game we'd see some new players for sure!

It's great to see some old faces coming back. It really is.. Lets face it we all love the game to bits otherwise we wouldn't be playing it for aslong as we have. I just really hope Broadsword do what E.A failed to do.

Tixoo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I played like 6 years ago for few months, now i am starting a new (and i feel i am new player, i have no idea what i am doing anymore hehe), i came because all other games have very non-mature audience, no RP at all and pretty small worlds and options to do in game compared to UO. UO has tons of stuff to do, areas to explore, communities to visit, **** loads of housing options, and gear options ... just a huge, interesting, and fun world i think.