• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player Races

• Thread starter imported_fyr
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_fyr

One of the Devs was tossing around the idea of player races. What are your thoughts? If races were tied to skill gains that could be nice. Say you were an elf you might gain taming faster than a dwarf. Of course elves and dwarves are sort of passe' but maybe new races could be created or races that followed the Ultima storyline (I never really played the standalone Ultima games except for a Nintendo Ultima game)

R

Ransom_of_BiC

Im not necessarily against races if we could choose them. To make ALL tamers be elves would be ********, but to get to choose getting the faster gains if we went that route might be ok. I guess it would also depend on what the race choices were. I don't play 3d because I dont like the way the characters look, and most of my friends feel the same way...if the new races looked as ******** as the 3d paperdolls...Id have to vote a big and resounding NO.

fyr..you comin back or what?

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another game I tried out and put back down quickly had the charcters tied so closely with the races that I didn't like it. You pretty much HAD to choose to be a certain race to play a certain type of character. We already have to keep up with all the math on resists on armor, damage properties on weapons, +1 casting this, -1 casting that........they'd have to make it in a way that doesn't impact playing that much before I'd like the idea. I'm with Ransom on the ugly 3D chars too :p

I

imported_fyr

I tried a spawn this weekend, made it to the Island but was promptly killed by a red in ~S~ or something. Lost One was nice enough to take me with him on the long trek back home. I have had too many issues in my life lately to play UO much but I am hoping within a week or two that will all calm down. Moving so that I live just 3 miles from work instead of an hour and a half away will help a lot. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

True, the 3d chars are so ugly which is too bad because often the monsters look better in 3d.

C

Cortez RedStar

I think for it to be successful, there has to be some artwork changes and those are very slow and painful on the 2D client, to the point I wanna say it just aint gonna happen. It took *years* just go get some new weapon artwork thrown in. As for game mechanics, stat cap differences would be nice, as would skill gain rates. That way, anyone could still get 120 of whatever skill, but it just might take some longer than others. On the other hand, if they put too much into this race thing, esp with the current crop of other games and movies, it's like theyre gonna be trying to copy Middle Earth, D&D, et. al.

I think the question may actually be tied to another game that is still in development...

G

I seen that post on UO Hall. Many seem to prefer it be purely cosmetic for our avatars. To create the races and thus probably imbalances or being locked into something that species or race may be *good* at did not seem what most of the posters wanted. I natch had to toss my comments that we have many *races* that stand upright in UO now, keep what we have. Any of those COULD become our new avatar races, Juka, Meer orcs etc. and my fave SAVAGES !

G

gasaraki

I would love the idea of races in UO. But only if it they make it where it would be simliar to skills so that we can change races when ever we feel it. I suggest that we use the races in UO no need to go D&D it wouldn't work. Starting off with Savages, Orcs, Meers, and Juka and then move forwad from there. I would give each one the ablity to summon kin. Ex. a player with the orc race could summon an orc bomber once per day( would last as long as a summoned monster). Include different titles to accompany the race would be nice too.

P

Poxx

I guess I'd say it's too easy to do wrong for them to try. If they didn't do it well, it could destroy a number of things that make UO good (the INCREDIBLY customizeable appearance of your avatar, for starters). The ultimas were always centered around humans, and I kind of like it that way- the roleplayers have never had any problem being orcs/elves/vampires/whatever- so I'm not too clear on who this change woud be for, or why they need it.

I

imported_fyr

Mmmmm, always like a lady guarding me /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Laszlo, SK

Personally with the track record EA/OSI has...I'd rather they just left things alone. Seems like the more they do the more they %&$k up. With each new expansion comes less and less of what UO was and more and more people leave. Right now UO is just a shell of it's former self. Many, like me, are just die hard UO folks that just can't let go and are just waiting for that one game that will even come close in comparison to sweep us away...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...something they need to learn..

B

beezle

i agree. but to go further, player races just don't belong in uo. if you wanna rp an elf or orc or vampire or a chicken, or whatever, go right ahead, but leave this turkey alone.

G

i agree with leaving things alone..they have put so much crap in this game i cant remember what i am doing from one point to the next..and everytime i try to do something they change the rules on me..gezz.And as for races it wouldnt be too bad but i dont think it would work... someone would get tired of their race and then they would have to come up with a race change thing and you know what that means $$$$$ dont we pay enough as it is..hehe...
And you are right Laz there is a new game coming out at the first of the year and you can do all the race choosing you want on it.

G

yep, somebody that can so very easily swing into drama and roleplaying can BECOME any race they wish in UO. I have a character named Squee that literally LIVES in the former orc fort now savage fort in ta2 . THAT is her home. When I made the chr natch I selected bald and savage paints and masks the fencing skill, savage speer and magery bingo ..a savage ! She just doesnt spawn berries haha. I literally log her out IN the savage compound the old campfire and bed roll trick. Only time it gets tricky is when the paint wears off and Im still inside there. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Why ye ask would one LIVE there playin a savage ? CUZ I find it a fun trip to have real players come to DO the savages, enter the savage villages or compound and attack em like the npc savages do ! hehe FUNSTUFF my AI is not quite like the npcs haha it is fun ! I dont do it OFTEN so I permit a LOT of time for players to forget their experience ..then I redo it roleplayin a savage chicky. SO I personally dont need uo to ADD any races anybody whom can fake out good roleplaying can about become anything in UO if the game mechanics offers us the means to look the part. Orcs and savages lend easily to this.

J

Jaimes

I really hate it.. and I will get pissed if it is anything more than cosmetic.. Don't the Devs have anything better to do with their time? I mean, honestly. Been PvPing Champs for a little, and I've noticed many major flaws with PvP. They want to add races, instead of fixing PvP? Pathetic.
I mean.. at primetime, a significant player base is playing in Felucca. Come to Fire in Fel.. see all the Champs, and all the people fighting them? Add that to normal Factions and Shield Wars and warring guilds (all of which have significantly decreased). I like the whole good vs. evil stuff with champs, and I think the Alliance will pull through and trounce Champs, eventually.. we just need to learn to PvP first. But the system needs changing - spell channeling is one ridiculous thing. A dexxer can easily also be a mage and a necro, ALL AT ONCE. Something needs to be done about blue players healing blue combatants too.. This blue healing stuff makes me sick *unless it's being done on me.. wink* and it really needs to stop. Mage weapons are another bad thing. Spell channeling/Mage weapon means that person can equip and still heal themselves. Fighting a bard/mage like myself, this is a deadly combination. Poison, Explode, dismount with your gay mage weapon lance. ********. What kind of idiot thought these things up? Dismount is definitely overpowered. In 1v1 PvP, with no outside assistance, a dismounted mage vs. a mounted magewarrior is completely crap. The mage loses, and quickly.
Sorry for the Rant.

I

imported_fyr

How is a mage weapon gay? It sounds bigoted to use the word that way, please edit.

That being said, you did have some good points in what you said. I didn't really see it as a rant.

Z

Zento

Is that a magic wand in your pocket, or are you "happy" to see me.

G

hehe look they must have been reading her post when they did the elf to human and human to elf quests hehe. I like reading this 03 things. i dont think any of those people play anymore anyways hehe.

N

Nicland88

<blockquote><hr>

hehe look they must have been reading her post when they did the elf to human and human to elf quests hehe. I like reading this 03 things. i dont think any of those people play anymore anyways hehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth wants to be a garden gnome for his next player race.

M

minerva7121971

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth wants to be a garden gnome for his next player race.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! LMAO!
Sorry, Gareth, but I think Angus is right-you and your decorating, you could decorate a lawn during the day as your character's special talent, and during UO nights, you could wander around and redecorate other unsuspecting players' lawns...

BTW-went to Chigago this weekend, and Stygian Abyss, after KR comes out, will definitely have Gargoyles for a race, and a new underground city from what I understood. KR looks pretty cool-but seems a ways off yet. I think I will have to relearn how to play with all the changes being made. I miss 3D already, though, and there are no signs of taking the good parts of the 3D paperdoll and actions(fainting, bowing, dancing a jig) and putting any of them back into KR.

A

Az2k

It's been so long since I played 3D I forgot all about the fainting &amp; dancing a jig...I hope they keep that for KR! I played 3D when Blackthorn's Revenge came, and liked it alot. Then AoS came around and I couldn't stand the paperdolls, etc....

-Az