• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Player Memorials

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just wow - eben meez spell betta den dat - und fur sumting dat important meez wuld make da secratarie slabe dooz it. Guess whoose pikturd diz iz :dunce: .......

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It is very sad, especially when you think about the whole picture. The lady with tons of things in game bearing her name does not want to have memorials bearing the names of prominent past players. I can only imagine the memorial she has preplanned in-game for herself should she pass before the game ends.....

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Yes it is sad that these memorials are being taken down but when was the last time one was placed? I am just wondering if people are being told no when they request one so UO came up with this idea. How many E-Mails do you think UO gets from players pancakes about why their memorials were turned down. At least they are not being totally torn down and thrown away, a wall is better than nothing.

Phoenix_DWxC

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A wall does not replace the desercration of a memorial spot. Spots I would go to and think about the player. All of the items placed in these spots were from players, each piece a memory of time spent with that player. These items were donated by players, not the Devs. Where did that all go? Items from folks who also are no longer in the realm. Case in point, you can go to Washington DC to the Viet Nam Wall but they did not dig up the warrior from his or her resting place. Our warriors deserve the same!

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In a game where space is in fact infinity... there is no apparent reason to take these down. Unless mesanna found out something specific about the player that shed a dark light on them... no reason at all.

RIP Ozog - may you forever pee on things that should not be peed upon.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Pass the bog roll.... *sniffle*.

Also: "... no reason at all" Scribbles

Not so. The reason is mental illness.

In a game where some escape unremarkable lives with few friends, to be "something" in a game, those special location memorials are dangerous, they give some people ideas.

Reality: Governments are now paying to help people end their lives early if they have a terminal condition but that's changing. Some, like Canada, are moving to a system where simply having a mental illness or thoughts of suicide are enough to qualify for gov to provide the real thing. Starting in March 2024 in Canada, and in more fragmented ways in the US, if you want out, gov will help you finish the task. Medical assistance in dying: Overview - Canada.ca

Put yourself in the shoes of a person struggling with mental illness, UO can be a great escape, but it can also hasten your end if you start thinking about getting yourself one of those special memorials you keep seeing out in the random.

Memorials belong, death is part of life, but they need to be kept in an area where you go there for one purpose only, like a graveyard IRL. Imagine random tombstones all over the cities outside of graveyards... now imagine it through a filter of being mentaly tired of the real world.

Talking about this is taboo, but mental illness and suicide rates are skyrocketing right now. If you fancy getting yourself one of those plots, and it's not because you honor yourself above others, reach out to someone who will have your well being in mind.

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I seriously doubt anyone had the intention of getting a memorial made for themselves. They were made for people who brought a lot of enjoyment to their shard by the many that live there. These memorials have nothing to do with politics or real life. They do not take up housing spots so I do not see any reason for any of them to have been removed. Please do not bring politics or the government into this thread. This is my thread warning. Anything else will result in threadban and potential points.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Obviously sad... I'd like to take a moment(this may be longer....) to address the elephant in the room aka "The big Mess", "Giver of Mess", "Bon Bon want cookie", "Bonnie Dishonie", "Sand Box Bonnie", "Mesanna your grave", and "THE GREAT MESS". O yea addressing you right now! How's Friday for taking away people's birthdays and Christmases then getting a drink? All is good we got like ten years to work on NL and I'm sure EA won't mind footing the bill.

P.S. I think some people are angry about you digging up Graves and alot other stuff...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now thinking more on it... Maybe you mean it as a way to go down in a blaze of glory. But then again, you won't get to actually witness it so that wouldn't satisfy me personally.

On another note:

When I die I would like a memorial of a transmogrified top hat placed just outside McDougal's door. Name it " Communicate This!"

All in fun man, no offense. I needed to pick myself up after that last post.

Is this how to tag someone?
@Anon McDougle
Love you!

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's not a funny topic, the number of people struggling with mental illness to the point of suicide is skyrocketing in the past 3 years. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/maid-canada-report-2022-1.7009704

People here are saying there is NO reason for what Mesanna is doing, but there is. The suicide rate, and glorifying the dead in a game. PR nightmare waiting to happen. Legal nightmare waiting to happen. etc. Be nice to each other.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am sorry but a memorial to someone special in game is not glorifying the dead. It is no different then placing a wreath at a tombstone or at the scene of an accident. They should not have been removed, instead should have been grandfathered and any new ones could be moved to the wall.