• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Placing a Castle...

L

Limlight

I have a keep...and the house next door is being given to me...which leaves room for a castle...but the problem is the castle in front of me is slightly blocking the 5 tile line of sight.....any way around this?

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure what you mean by five tile line of site. You have to have five paces infront of you (stairs too) and five paces behind you. 5 paces between a castle will not cover up your targeting reticule.

The second floor of a house will cover a 4 tile viewable range. If you have a 4 story house infront of you and you can't click on the location needed to place a house you can use circle of transparency.

L

Limlight

What I am saying is this:

My Keep
----------->Guys 18x18 hes giving me

Castle

Basically....the guy giving me the 18x18 gives me perfect length for a castle....I checked on TC1.

I also have atleast 31 spaces N/S available...but the front steps of the Castle would be in line of sight with the Castle in front of me...

I have seen castle placed like this before.....plus the dude from UO homes made it sound like a Castle was possible in my spot.

Anyone really really good at this who would be willing to give me their icq and look at it for me?

Could I place a Small Tower near where the 18x18 was...and then resize it so that its improperly placed and place a castle and avoid the line of sight that way?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am confused about what you mean by line of sight. If the castle is within 5 tiles of where you would place your front steps then you are out of luck, if it is 5 tiles or further away then you can place a castle. That's all I know and I know of no way to get around that.

L

Limlight

Ahhh....ok...so I am screwed...

Looks like I will just be moving my Keep over spaces to secure more land around it in the hopes of a future castle....

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Circle of transperancy will help. i understand what your saying the placement cursor is hitting right at the top wall of the castle in front and therefore you cannot place on it. transperancy will help.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Looks like I will just be moving my Keep over spaces to secure more land around it in the hopes of a future castle....
I can come out and walk the land for you if you like. Send me a PM if you want to try to meet up at some point.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Remember you only need one tile to the east and west sides. Only the north and south sides need to have the 5 tiles (and stairs).
Sounds like Sarsmi has you covered with the placement pacing. UO AutoMap is priceless when resizing houses and checking your tile counts. If you can't reach Sarsmi hit me up with a PM I can take a loot at the place if ya can't reach him. You'd be amazed where you can squeeze castles and keeps.

One big thing to remember when placing large houses (especially on ice island) is to be careful of the bumps. Even if you have the tiles the bumps tend to throw alot of players off. You can scan the area with 7x7 custom to find the bumps.

L

Limlight

Yeah, I am basically screwed as the front wont have 5 spaces...

S

Sweety

Doubt the guy would do this but...
you could ask the person infront of you if they are willing to move their house up 1, worth a try

T

Teufel_Hund

Doubt the guy would do this but...
you could ask the person infront of you if they are willing to move their house up 1, worth a try
lol would you move your castle if someone asked you to? Maybe for my wife.....and that is a big maybe!

S

Sweety

O its a castle nm then
no i wouldn't if it were a castle... i was thinking it was like a 18x18 or something like that

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its actaully 4 walkable sqs not 5..icq me i will take a look for u

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually if i did it right, the front caslte would need to move 4 - 5 spaces... then ud have to place it JUST right as theres trees around.. it JUST fits side to side if placed right, but yah the front to back? :(

castle count space is 42x42 if u count the spaces tween front & back

T

The Home Guild

No Fear The Expert is here...

i'll be willing to look again for you.
See if there is tiles in back so you're not really blocked with the castle in front of you.. and see if we can move the castle over as well.

my icq is at the bottom but i think you already have me on your list.

T

The Home Guild

actually if i did it right, the front caslte would need to move 4 - 5 spaces... then ud have to place it JUST right as theres trees around.. it JUST fits side to side if placed right, but yah the front to back? :(

Correction:31x31

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Correction:31x31
They meant if there is a house to the front and back of the castle you are trying to place, as in this situation.

L

LordWinters

From what I've seen,if there's a house in back and in front,you'll need 31+5 in back +5 in front.41 total North to South.

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so with spaces tween houses, itd be 41 x 33 (31x31 for the castle, then +5 in front, +5 in back & +1 for each side) :p

I was off by 1 :( but i got my info from a friend that idocs so i blame him :p

but i still stand by what i said, I walked it & the front castle would have to move about 4 spots to make it work :( & I dont c that happening, cuz even as much as I love lim, I wouldnt do it so cant picture them either

L

LordWinters

Just did a lil experimenting and found that if the house in front will be in front of the castle steps,you need an additional space making it 6 spaces from the castle walls and 5 in front of steps.

If front house is not in front of steps it will be 5 steps from castle wall.

So your friend is right depending on front house,will be 42 or 41 and the 33 west to east.

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yah castlee is right in front of it :( & even if they wanted to move it for him, there r trees one step in front of that so if cant move :(

all he can hope for is the back house to fall lol

Lord Clay Of Aquinas

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Offer to buy the house behind you.

I'd be willing to take a look at it also and see what I can find out for you. Maybe even spot the player with the house behind.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Use UOAM and MSPaint to simply count out tiles... Thake a screen shot of the UOAM screen and paste it into paint.... Ive found this the best way in my past to figure whether a house will fit or not.

L

Limlight

haha

You guys are all nice. Doing all this math for me.

:-]

It looks like it wont work...but I will ICQ The Home Guild guy to look at it.

I appreciate all the help you guys.
The love is mutual.

:-{}