• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Pet Trader" template

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hiho,

I was thinking about creating a char specialized in making Taming as safe and easy as possible to then sell the tames. My ideas so far were..

Taming (probably 120)
Lore (probably 120)
Hiding (100?)
Stealth (how much is necessary, 75?)
Herding (how much? is 100 enough?)
Magery (enough to recall and invis safely, so 100 maybe?)

Anything else that could be useful?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hiho,

I was thinking about creating a char specialized in making Taming as safe and easy as possible to then sell the tames. My ideas so far were..

Taming (probably 120)
Lore (probably 120)
Hiding (100?)
Stealth (how much is necessary, 75?)
Herding (how much? is 100 enough?)
Magery (enough to recall and invis safely, so 100 maybe?)

Anything else that could be useful?
You could skip the hiding, stealth and herding and just keep your honor virtue high.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Peace, Music & Resist would be much more useful to a Pet Trader than Hiding, Stealth & Herding imo.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My character is a peace tamer who owns and operates a Magincia stall selling pets, however I stock only rideables and 'beginners' pets, so perhaps not quite what you had in mind. I'm afraid I'm inclined to the idea that a tamer worthy of the name is capable of taming his/her own pets. Probably not a popular attitude.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am in agreement with Petra.. especially with the Pet Revamp hitting. From what I have been reading there no longer seems to be a reason to worry about having highly rated pets when tamed. So that market may drop kinda quick... I guess I could be wrong though. Would not be the first time.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think everyone is right, the coming update will probably kill the need for finding good pets (very bad design decision if true). However if the new pet stats still matter - I found the most efficient way to look for that special way is using 2 accounts. One is a tamer with hiding and stealth that sits hidden at the spawn point and lores the pets. The second is a Sampire with the appropriate slayer. The samp keeps killing the trash pets, and hidden tamer keeps loring. Once the good pet is found, tamer comes out of hiding and tames.
If your goal is to make the process of taming dangerous creatures easy (rather than finding the right one), then Peacemaking is most useful.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is my belief that there will still be a market for high-stat pets. Animal Training has caps, so what you'll be looking for is pets that are 'over cap' in one or more areas. Since greater dragons cannot be trained, unless you find one that is so under-powered that it's only a 4 slot, the market for those will be unchanged.
Tamers like myself who never worried about getting an 'uber' pet, and just settled for the best that was around on the day I went to tame one, will have the chance to 'improve' a mediocre pet. The thing I'm looking at is not a 'better' pet in terms of its existing stats, but a different pet in terms of its abilities. For example I plan to give my cu sidhe chivalry and to scroll up it's more special aspect, healing.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is my belief that there will still be a market for high-stat pets. Animal Training has caps, so what you'll be looking for is pets that are 'over cap' in one or more areas. Since greater dragons cannot be trained, unless you find one that is so under-powered that it's only a 4 slot, the market for those will be unchanged.
Tamers like myself who never worried about getting an 'uber' pet, and just settled for the best that was around on the day I went to tame one, will have the chance to 'improve' a mediocre pet. The thing I'm looking at is not a 'better' pet in terms of its existing stats, but a different pet in terms of its abilities. For example I plan to give my cu sidhe chivalry and to scroll up it's more special aspect, healing.
I hope you are right about looking for pets with specific stats. It never seizes to amaze me that in almost 20 years, not a single MMO out there came up with a pet system that is even remotely close to what UO has. I hope that UO keep the strong points.

On a related offtopic - I think training a Cu to 120 healing will be nighmarish. Keeping it at 120 will be even more fun. IMO the problem with Cus was not that their healing was low, but that they used it so infrequently that is almost did not matter. I tried to max the stamina and mana regens on a Cu on test and that made it spam specials, but it still has a strange aversion to healing.

kazeandi

Adventurer
with the upcoming system, having a tamer with strong fighting skills seems to be the thing. you'll have to subdue the beasts, so a template with only marginal taming skills. if you don't plan to sell GDs, but stuff like spiders, drakes etc, and you don't plan to use the character to hunt with those pets, you can also skip veterinary and don't need high real skill.
tanky warrior or mystic seems to be the best way to approach this.

and the standard peace tamer for low slot pets, just mind blast em below 85% hp.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a weird twist of fate I suspect 4 slot GD's will become more valuable than good 5 slot ones, after the publish.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If I understand properly, it wouldn't have to be a GD. Just something trained to 4 slots. Or even better, a 5 slot that can be ridden. :)