• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Mistakes

Rhafiki

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So, what mistakes have you made while training pets? Figured we could share and learn from each other
So, mine....gave my skree 1500 mana, 30mana regen, 120 focus, 120 med...haven't see her mana drop below 600 yet.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your skree is bugged, I did the same thing because mine was a non stop mana dumper before training. Still is after.

Rhafiki

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
anyways of fixing it? Still working magery and mysticism up, but already have 120 on focus/med and she can tank navery(with vet) and not dump all her mana

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only tamed the one, i just assumed they were all mana freaks.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not paying attention to the "pooled" caps. Ended up with a Cu with <80 phys resist, and couple of pets with <700 strength.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far my only mistake was with my nighrmare... Didn't realize that training another magical ability after would negate the first... So I unintentionally negated the poisoning I'd wanted it to have.

Rhafiki

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just starting out with taming and had a good bit of store credit....I thought stable slots and pet slots were 1-1 ratio. Maxed out my stable slots thinking that I would run out of room with like 4 5slot pets.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I put 1300 mana, 30 regen, 120 med and 120 focus on my rune beetle.
She seems to never run out of mana even when fighting an unbound EV for 15+ minutes.

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
my mistake was taking my old rune beetle and nightmare out of the stables.

somehow both got bumped up one slot - the rune beetle is now a 4 slot pet, the nightmare a 3 slot pet. I have not used animal training on either of them, they simply had maxxed skills...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I put Magery on a Reptalon in the first round. Took 1501 points. They start out with low stats so next round I couldn't put much.

I swear I took out a Rune beetle and it only got 1 round of training. That was not enough points.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my mistake was taking my old rune beetle and nightmare out of the stables.

somehow both got bumped up one slot - the rune beetle is now a 4 slot pet, the nightmare a 3 slot pet. I have not used animal training on either of them, they simply had maxxed skills...
What about if you release and re-tame it?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, what mistakes have you made while training pets? Figured we could share and learn from each other
So, mine....gave my skree 1500 mana, 30mana regen, 120 focus, 120 med...haven't see her mana drop below 600 yet.
Forgot to do the base damage boost on the last upgrade on one. I was rather annoyed with myself.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
What about if you release and re-tame it?
Hmm... good idea there. Anyone with a screwed up pet wanna give it a shot? lol I ain't screwed one up that badly yet....

yet is indeed the important word lol

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I put 1300 mana, 30 regen, 120 med and 120 focus on my rune beetle.
She seems to never run out of mana even when fighting an unbound EV for 15+ minutes.
So what is the mistake, I must be missing something? Too much or ???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On some pets and specials you find out you don't need the mana over 100 when you bump up the regens.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Too much mana! I saw her mana drop below 800 once!
I could have given her more HP instead. With 120 med, focus, 500+ int and 49 MR (30 from the pet, 19 from the peace songs), she NEVER runs out of mana. And even with meagre 550 HP, she can tank a lot before I have to vet her.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah recently made the mistake of giving my fire drake FAR too much mana....

Tsadkiel

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly a mistake but .... train too fast : use a 120 parry scroll need to be 100 wrestling. I finished the 2 steps of my cue before beeing able to use it

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another not so much a mistake as strategic misstep is putting too many abilities on the pet. Some can have a long list - I was able to get 6 on the Ram. But from what I observed so far, they are used completely randomly for as long as there is mana. You will see a continuous stream of AoE against a single target and a never ending parade of poisoning attempts against elementals. So any useless, or less useful ability decreases the frequency of the truly useful ones. This happens both because of mana, and because the useless abilities take the place of useful ones in the rotation. This is a perfect excuse to adapt every pet to a specific task... at $5 for each 3 pets and not to exceed a total 42 (sorry, could not resist)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bought another Bane Dragon, and forgot to give it mana, not sure if its going to be a problem yet, it still has 150 I think. I also released my 5 slot blue beetle, retamed it, it was still a 5 slot, all the skills were the same. Was kind of hoping it would revert back to 4 slot...nope.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another not so much a mistake as strategic misstep is putting too many abilities on the pet. Some can have a long list - I was able to get 6 on the Ram. But from what I observed so far, they are used completely randomly for as long as there is mana. You will see a continuous stream of AoE against a single target and a never ending parade of poisoning attempts against elementals. So any useless, or less useful ability decreases the frequency of the truly useful ones. This happens both because of mana, and because the useless abilities take the place of useful ones in the rotation. This is a perfect excuse to adapt every pet to a specific task... at $5 for each 3 pets and not to exceed a total 42 (sorry, could not resist)
I would rather have 1 ability like Armor Ignore that goes off regularly and high stats and resist, that a cocktail of hit and miss abilities that never seem to go off when you need one to.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put Magery on a Reptalon in the first round. Took 1501 points. They start out with low stats so next round I couldn't put much.

I swear I took out a Rune beetle and it only got 1 round of training. That was not enough points.
I have had two Rune Beetles now only get one round of training. Was all ready to start round two of training and was like HEY WHERE IS THE LITTLE BLUE TRAINING BUTTON!!!

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just gave my reptalon Spell weaving. Think that was a big mistake. I wasnt thinking and I have a spell weaving 120 scroll so figured why not.. His mana is gone in just a few minutes of fighting and with 100 med and focus and mana regen of 30 he still doesnt regen mana fast enough.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just gave my reptalon Spell weaving. Think that was a big mistake. I wasnt thinking and I have a spell weaving 120 scroll so figured why not.. His mana is gone in just a few minutes of fighting and with 100 med and focus and mana regen of 30 he still doesnt regen mana fast enough.
Not your fault. They buffed the mana costs. It affected most pet types a lot.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The increased special move cost has really hit my blue beetle hard...even with it's hidden passive mana regen it runs mana down a lot faster now