• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Dyes ... do we realy want them?

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Call me old fashioned but my thinking is that nightmares black, White Wyrms white and Cu Sidhes ... well bad example. Any how, it seems they are considering pet dyes on prodo shards.

What do you guys think? Do we really want to see orange nightmares, pink dragons and blue bake's running round our shards?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yeah, not sure how I feel about this. I enjoy hunting cus and mares - hence, color matters to me.

I'm not totally against the idea, so long as the colors wear off after a week.

Still chewing on this one...

Trydon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not at all. i see no reason to color your bets, i don't think ill be able to stand it if i see a Rainbow of dragons at the next EM event. It spoils the game imo.

O

Orn Autumnleaf

I'd like to see dragons in various colors (natural colors!), as they do come in many colors. I've never heard of this dying pets though. o_O

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wont bother me to see pets of the colors they had in the survey. I wont be using the dyes.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see dragons in various colors (natural colors!), as they do come in many colors. I've never heard of this dying pets though. o_O
Me too!! The dyes seem to washout the detail of the pet. If the animals spawned in some of the colors, then I am sure the detail would be preserved in the art.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is this mentioned? I've always seen quotes of a flat "no" from devs regarding pet dyes on production, so I'd be surprised if they've changed their minds suddenly.

The problem with pet dyes isn't so much the fact pets can be coloured, it's the colours available. Some will be "too dull" for the crayola kids, others too bright for the rest of us.

I'd like a WW the colour of the old shadow wyrms or ancient wyrms, but it'd get confusing if we have white dragons or red WWs lol. And I like the challenge of finding a good stat pet in the colour I want rather than get the stats and dye it. I know you wouldn't have to dye em, but nobody would know you'd gone to the trouble unless you were also drooling in your soup :D

Wenchy

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is this mentioned? I've always seen quotes of a flat "no" from devs regarding pet dyes on production, so I'd be surprised if they've changed their minds suddenly.
UO Herald, Chrissay has a link to a survey posted today. The survey has colors given too.

Stayin Alive,

BG

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We're pleased to give you a first look at the Pet Dyes which will be offered as unique in-game rewards!

How the Pet Dyeing system works:

For each Underworld puzzle you complete you will receive a randomly generated one-charge pet dye of one of the preset hue choices below. When applied to a bonded pet that you own, the pet becomes that hue for 7 real life days, after which it wears off, restoring the pet to its original hue.

• Dyes do not work on summoned or charmed creatures, only bonded pets
• Dyes can be used on armored swamp dragons and will override the hue of the barding if one is present (destroying or adding the barding doesn’t affect the dye)
• Dyes cannot be applied on: Hiryus, Lesser Hiryus, Cu Sidhes, Chicken Lizards, Battle Chicken Lizards
• Scouring toxin will remove the dye and return the pet to its original hue, and can be used by players friended to the pet (for example, before a trade or purchase).
I voted Great Idea I loved it
They should not wear off (I assume that means as in NEVER WEAR OFF)

The down side for me is it is a 1 shot artifact.

On Test I tend to name my Dragons, for example, Drako The Greater Shadow Dragon. Now if it is the Old Red that doesn't .... look quite right so I tend to dye it the Dark Green.

I do the same with .... The Greater Fire Dragon and color it a Red, although the Test Red is darker than I would like it to be.

F

Frey Wavestrider

If they follow through with not allowing cu's, hiryus, lessers etc from being dyed then good. Also no black or faction colours it seems like a good idea, however ideally pets should naturally be different shade and colours. One thing I hate about the enhance client is the fact all dragons look the same and if not a special colour, all hiryus and lessers look the same obnoxious colour. In addition, my wife points out that she has a lovely red hiryu in the 2d client and it is the sickly puce (greenish) shade of a regular hiryu in the enhance.

Also since it is to be gotten from doing a puzzle quest, not an issue, is you do not want to use them you do not have too. None of the colours are neons so that is good too.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aside from looking at the Dragons in the pics did anyone notice the other pets pictured dyed as well?? I mean some of them look just wrong. and well bit silly. I am all for different colored pets but I want colors that would seem to be natural for the pet to spawn in. Not some of the colors they showed the llamas and beetles in.
WHile I would love to color my dragon some of the colors, I dont want to see it on all pets.

N

Nenime

It wont bother me to see pets of the colors they had in the survey. I wont be using the dyes. ...
This is my opinion too. If the majority would like to have this... meh. But I'm certain that I won't be tempted to use them. Just like the neon Tokuno dyes. Ugh!

My first impression though was OH NO! But as I continued to read I saw 'puzzle reward', 'randomly generated one-charge' and 'for 7 real life days, after which it wears off, restoring the pet to its original hue'. That's ok with me. But colours should not be too bright. I voted yes for black, white and some unflashy blue, green and red colours. Purple, pink or whatever would be an annoyance, they are inappropriate in this classic RPG game atmophere.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
On test, I got a glacial pet air freshener. THAT was pretty awesome.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I hate about the enhance client is the fact all dragons look the same and if not a special colour, all hiryus and lessers look the same obnoxious colour.
So does this mean the dragons are not even brown or red in the client?

Stayin Alive,

BG

U

uoBuoY

So dye jobs for pets! What's next...perms? Highlights? Extensions? Claw polish? Bikini waxing?

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always liked that cus seem to spawn in ore colours, and always wanted dragonkind to follow the same example. Agreed on no faction colours, and no neon... should follow some sort of "nature" (hence my affection for ore shades).

I voted yes, but no to a lot of the colours. White Wyrms should stay white, cus and hiryus already have colours so leave them out, and things like mares and dread warhorses should be left out because of potential pvp screaming.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah yes, found the pics...

I think the colours need a fix before I could entertain giving my support to it. That pink... just no. Animals should look like animals imo, at least for those of us tamers who got over the My Little Pony crazy :D

Wenchy

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to be able to dye my packies different colors in order to differentiate them, but thats as far as I'd probably go.

S

Scarab

I've always wanted multiple dragon colors ... with corresponding breath weapons. like in old school D&D. green dragons that breath poison gas, blue dragons that breath lightning, black dragons that breath acid, etc etc. doesn't look like that is ever going to happen in UO, but at least I could kinda RP it with the dyes. thus I voted "yes" primarily in regards to dragons alone

that said, there are other certain pets that I don't think should be dyeable. white wyrms and nightmares, for example. their coloring is part of their identity and it seems wrong to me for that uniqueness to be stripped away

if it's an all-or-nothing deal, then I still vote yes with some reservations

as a side note: I understand the concern on neon colors and I mostly agree. however, the colors presented here are fine in my book, and I never buy slippery slope arguments

M

Myna

NO for pet dyes

let spawn dragons in different NATURAL colors like black, green ... but dont bring out dyes

we arent 7 old children who need to dye our pets

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO for pet dyes

let spawn dragons in different NATURAL colors like black, green ... but dont bring out dyes

we arent 7 old children who need to dye our pets
*Shrug*

If the System defines the color of the .... pet then the player does not have the freedom to express themselves through their pet.

I have never liked the NEON colors for hair, cloths etc.

I do understand others feel the ability to use NEON colors makes the game better for them.

I do prefer the Pet Dye Colors to the Enhanced Client single color for a Grater Dragon/Dragons/Drakes.

I play on TC1 frequently to test things out. Yeah to see the Ice Blue Pets are ... rather annoying, but then again I have Tamed a White Wyrm and colored it the Ice Blue and Renamed it An Artic Blue Wyrm.

*Shrug*

Two statements ...

"The needs of the many must out weigh the needs of the one"

"The rights of the one must be protected from the opinions of the many"

So to me, if it is not game play altering, I opt, more often than not, for the rights of the one.

O

Orn Autumnleaf

I agree with Enigma. Of course there will be annoying looking pets to match annoying looking players but it's easy to ignore that stuff after a while. The pros outweigh the cons to me.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm happy to see pet dyes, especially for greater dragons. I have difficulty sometimes when hunting in larger groups telling my dragon from the mass.

Thats one of the reasons i would like pet dye for dragons. When i hunt with my friend its hard to see what pet is mine and hers. With the dye i know she wants a blue dragon and me a black one. :)

scarecrow73

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like the Dye aspect. I am a tamer and enjoy the hunt for the perfect dragon. Making them spawn in new colors would be awesome. Dying them takes a little of the fun and challange out of finding the right one for me. We start with dying our dragons to the color we like, soon we will be able to enhance them with armor then who knows maybe scrolls to up their stats. No, I prefer to find and tame one to coloring one.