• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Abilities - piercing, bashing, slashing

Finegold

Journeyman
Can someone explain what choosing one of these specilties actually does? And what are the mastery abilities that uo.com references

Reading uo.com it appears tgat it gives several abilities at once.... but tgat doesnt sound right....

Anyone using them? Why? Are they effective?

Here's what uo.com says....

Piercing
Trains the creature in the bleed, armor ignore, and paralyze special moves. Also trains the creature in the Pierce & Thrust mastery abilities.
Bashing
Trains the creature in the mortal strike, concussion, and disarm special moves. Also trains the creature in the Toughness & Stagger mastery abilities
Slashing
Trains the creature in the nerve strike, armor ignore, and disarm special moves. Also trains the creature in the Focused Eye & Onslaught mastery abilities.
Battle Defense
Trains the creature in the disarm and paralyze special moves. Also trains the creature in the Heightened Senses & Shield Bash mastery abilities.
Wrestle Mastery
Trains the creature in the disarm and paralyze special moves. Also trains the creature in the Knockout & Rampage mastery abilities.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They are in the Magic category. They give the abilities mentioned in the description.

Some pets come with one of these. You can choose one of these as a magic on some pets.

If you choose one of these before you put area or other abilities on a pet, you will not be able to put anything else on the pet.

They cost 500 points. You lose any magic that was on the pet.

The bad thing about them:

Pierce: Nobody likes bleed, paralyze lasts for a millisecond on any tough mob, AI only costs 100 points to put on if you choose it directly.

Bashing: Mortal is good. No one has proven concussion does any extra damage. Disarm is not good in general PvM.

Slashing: Nerve strike is fine. AI is good. Disarm.

Battle defense: Disarm and paralyze.

Wrestle: Disarm and paralyze.

Some of these abilities require Buhido or Nijitsu.

These are used to put disarm on A PvP pet.

I have not seen any tests on the effectiveness of masteries on a pet. Ex: Stagger, Onslaught and so on.

The lore screen from this thread shows you a pet using one of the masteries. Why build like this way?

The mastery descriptions are here: Skill Masteries – Ultima Online

The pet gets the extra abilities at a cost of 500 points. And you can choose no other magic ability.

Ossein Ram comes with Battle defense

upload_2017-11-29_19-17-2.png

I took it off mine to add a different magic.

upload_2017-11-29_19-17-50.png

Last edited:

Orlac

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I use piercing on one Naj and it works well...yes it comes with all those moves

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They are in the Magic category. They give the abilities mentioned in the description.

Some pets come with one of these. You can choose one of these as a magic on some pets.

If you choose one of these before you put area or other abilities on a pet, you will not be able to put anything else on the pet.

They cost 500 points. You lose any magic that was on the pet.

The bad thing about them:

Pierce: Nobody likes bleed, paralyze lasts for a millisecond on any tough mob, AI only costs 100 points to put on if you choose it directly.

Bashing: Mortal is good. No one has proven concussion does any extra damage. Disarm is not good in general PvM.

Slashing: Nerve strike is fine. AI is good. Disarm.

Battle defense: Disarm and paralyze.

Wrestle: Disarm and paralyze.

Some of these abilities require Buhido or Nijitsu.

These are used to put disarm on A PvP pet.

I have not seen any tests on the effectiveness of masteries on a pet. Ex: Stagger, Onslaught and so on.

The lore screen from this thread shows you a pet using one of the masteries. Why build like this way?

The mastery descriptions are here: Skill Masteries – Ultima Online

The pet gets the extra abilities at a cost of 500 points. And you can choose no other magic ability.

Ossein Ram comes with Battle defense

View attachment 74537

I took it off mine to add a different magic.

View attachment 74538
Would stagger work like it does for a player?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
the Sabertooth comes with Slashing is it worth keeping, would that work well in pvp??
Comparing to Triton only thing Sabretoothes can have is Grasping Claw. Rest is worse :wrestling , resist spells , overall intensity , no magic abilities.
I do only PvM but I removed slashing on my tigers :saw no benefits from it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would stagger work like it does for a player?
They are based on the 3 melee weapon abilities. They should work the same. None do anything a Pet can't do. Does wrestling act as the weapon skill to give more bonus? Who knows. They would be very weak if not.

The only one you could Lore and see on the pet is Toughness.

@PlayerSkillFTW would be better suited to answer.

And do pets get the Passive Warriors gift? You would be able to see the +5 Str. Do any of the pets with these abilities have 5 more Str. I dont recall what toon has my Black Tiger and dont recall if he has been changed.