• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Percolem Quests, Need Help Please!

Y

Yen Sid

I have moved up to the next level and I am having trouble finding the things I need to kill.

1.) Maddening Horrors- I read that they are in the Stygian Abyss, but does anyone have a specific location? Its kind of a big place to run around looking for them.

2.) Putrid Undead Gargoyles- There is no info on these in the Hunter's Guide or on UOGuide.com at all. They are not the same thing as Putrid Undead Guardians (I tried those in the King's Tomb). And I believe there are only Undead Gargoyles in the Champ Spawn.

Me and my guildmates are pretty frustrated looking for these so any info would be helpful.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maddening Horrors live near the alter to the medusa peerless .... deep in the snake-infested area.

There have been stories (which I haven't confirmed myself) that there are 3 putrid undead gargoyle statues in the lair of the medusa peerless that she can send against you, but the champ spawn in the main source of them.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, those are putrid undead guardians, not putrid undead gargoyles.

They are not the same and are not counted by the quest.

J

Jermosh

I did about 3 horrowers and gave up on the quest. Those things are entirely to hard for the reward with all those damn snakes and other badies.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maddening horrors are a pushover, compared to the other two, because for the others you have to go into the fel ruleset areas.

The secret to the maddening horrors is preparation:

1. Take orange petals.
2. Avoid the areas that have the Coil, and the Hydra.
3. Only fight one Maddening Horror at a time, bringing it up NW from where it respawns (and where other Horrors might join in).
4. Try not to leave too many snake corpses for the Horror to animate.
5. A single Horror is fairly easy for a full trained Greater, as long as you keep the undead the Horror raises, and revenants, off it. Especially try to keep the horror from animating a dead Horror, as that results in a Lich Lord.
6. Provocation is very useful, as you can provoke giant serpents that intrude on the fight onto the Horror, or its animates.
7. If the Hydra is to the NW of the Medusa entrance area, try swinging around through the thicker spawn to the north, and come in from the other side (past the broken bridge), and pick off Horrors from that side.
8. Take seeds from the silver sapling, and bury them in a relatively safe place nearby (fully dressed, you should be able to get back in fairly easily through the lesser snakes).
9. Consider it as a partner hunt. My tamer averages 1 death per 10 Horrors - but I'm sure if I wasn't solo down there, I wouldn't die at all. Two people should be able to make short work of the spawn, working together - and provide the ability to rez the other if one dies.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the level 3 percolem quests:

As far as I know, putrid undead gargoyles do not exist. (They are not the champ spawn undead gargoyles or the Tomb of Kings putrid guardians)

Dream wraiths can only be found in the Primeval Lich champion spawn (4th tier). If you have a group that can get to the 4th tier, odds are you have to do multiple spawns to kill enough dream wraiths to complete the quest.

The maddening horrors are exactly as Basara described. I only do it when I have a partner who can lead them away to my ambush spot.

But the reward for the tier 3 quests (1 relic, the same book and gem quality as the previous quests, magic items) aren't really better than what you could get from the tier 2 quests, so I tend to do the tier 2 quests instead.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My stealth mage has killed abmyssal Horrors with EV's and Focus 6 Nature Fuires, after cutting one of them out of the herd and "coaxing" ::: I would never lure:) ::: one NW like previous poster said. You get a greenish tentacle quest item off every 6 or so...

The Undamaged Undead Gargoyle horn thing only comes from the undead gargoyle statues animated by Medusa. I have gotten 2 so far, as well as 2 of the undead ?or goblin? medallions. Bothe times, the medallion and horn spawned on corpse. I would say I killed a dozen of them so far, so the drops are very rare. I intend to keep the item as semi-rare Deco items rather than turning them in for quest reward -- unless it is a really good reward???

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Maddening Horror and other level 3 quests give relic fragments - I'm only doing the quest myself a couple times a week, to get a head start, since I typically only train about 5.0 points of imbue a week and am far off from getting the ability to get relics from unraveling.

Y

Yalp

I do maddening horrors two times a day with two different toons. Rewards are as previously described. As previously reported the putrid undead garg's spawn inside the Medusa spawn, I've seen only 2 per Medusa run, so other than doing the fel spawn, they seem to be impracticable for filling the tier 3 quest.

My tactics for dealing with Maddening's (good for either bush dex or tamer/mage).

I use tamer mage/dread mare combo so I can mount. I run due south toward the Medusa bridge, but just to the west of the bridge there is a foot path that leads out onto the swamp area. I lure off the hydra via the eastern footpath toward the area where there are a few silver snakes, but far enough away so I can use the entire swamp area. Then I park the dread mare on the west side of the swamp area, run to the maddening spawn area, get their attention (fireball in the ear). Lure back to the dread mare. They love to animate corpses, with snakes it's mummies with previous Maddenings it's Lich Lords. If they pop a lich lord, I take the dread off the Maddening and kill the Lich immediately. Keep the excess spawn off the mare, dispel the rev's. and viola.... you've completed your quest. If I am not careful with the mare (using SW renewal and waiting for it to re-mana up), then I might loose the mare 1 or 2 times per quest. I rarely if ever die. There's plenty of room to maneuver in the swamp to recall and regroup. I loot everything for unraveling, gold for the bank, and as previously stated, there's a vile tentacle, which I am not sure it's use yet.

For the dexer, Honor first, fire weapon, demon slayer works wonders, keep the spawn down. I do prefer a partner, but I can solo the quest as long as I plan to die 2-3 times.