• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] People accepting real life only money off stratics posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Hello I wanted to see if we could get a discussion going, in hopes to get enough people caring that maybe the powers that be could change the rules.

Recently I came a crossed a post where it had something I collect and i was very interested in the item. then I come to find out they are only taking real life money at this time. So I was pretty disappointed to not be able to get the item with uo gold. I tried to make a post about to so others would also know about this, this is my fault not thinking and not using the boards alot lately, but I got a kind letter telling me that's now considered trolling.

Im not sure what the solution is but im hoping enough people don't like this that some rules or something can be changed. Honestly ive seen it alot where people do sell for rl outside of stratics and related to the postings, but up until recently i have not seen it to where they blatantly break the rules and sell for RL only not taking uo gold.

If they had said we want rl but we would take the equivalent in uo gold I probably would not be posting this. but honestly i think something needs to be done or changed. we either allow people to post it or not sit back when they do and count it as a "loop Hole" its not a loop hole the items posted here and u message them and they only take rl, imo that's the same.

genchattroll101

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
There is no loophole. Stratics doesn't take ICQ screenshots or anything, cash>gold. It's always been like that.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is no loophole. Stratics doesn't take ICQ screenshots or anything, cash>gold. It's always been like that.
The loophole is that our rules say Stratics cannot be used for real money transactions, yet since we cannot accept icq screenshots like you said, people just make threads selling items and say "icq me" then only accept real money when the person icq's them. Which is using Stratics for a real money transaction anyway in an indirect way that we have no way of stopping currently. By doing that they are technically breaking the rule by using Stratics for real money transactions, we simply have no way to do anything about it because we aren't allowed to accept the only type of proof available. It has been that way for years.

Stratics actually did allow real money sales originally, if you search through old posts you occasionally see some real cash offers for things. Real money transactions were made against the rules about 2008 because that was when the official fansite agreement between EA and Stratics went into effect. Real money sales are against the UO terms of service, so it was necessary to outlaw them on Stratics to have an official relationship with the UO developers.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the record, there is one exception to this. Even though we cannot use outside sources as proof to RMT, our Stratics PM system is NOT void of the rules. Stratics private messages can be reported for breaking the rules, including discussing RMT through our PM system. Similar to forum posts, there is a report option at the bottom of the private message.

We just do not and cannot be detectives regarding RMT sales that happen within the game and icq or other chat programs. That is taking things a little overboard. And in the same hand, we cannot allow public accusations of such. In so many ways our hands are tied in that regard. But again, if someone starts using the Stratics based PM system for cash only sales, please report it.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For the record, there is one exception to this. Even though we cannot use outside sources as proof to RMT, our Stratics PM system is NOT void of the rules. Stratics private messages can be reported for breaking the rules, including discussing RMT through our PM system. Similar to forum posts, there is a report option at the bottom of the private message.

We just do not and cannot be detectives regarding RMT sales that happen within the game and icq or other chat programs. That is taking things a little overboard. And in the same hand, we cannot allow public accusations of such. In so many ways our hands are tied in that regard. But again, if someone starts using the Stratics based PM system for cash only sales, please report it.
So you are telling them exactly how to not get caught.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So you are telling them exactly how to not get caught.
I'm 99.999% sure most people already know that the Stratics rules do not govern what they do over icq or other off Stratics chat programs... No?

And just making sure most people do realize they can report Stratics private messages. Its good knowledge to have =)

Last edited:

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm 99.999% sure most people already know that the Stratics rules do not govern what they do over icq or other off Stratics chat programs... No?

And just making sure most people do realize they can report Stratics private messages. Its good knowledge to have =)
I mean no disrespect, but werent peoples accountability and actions being questioned by things posted on another popular forum not too long ago?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I mean no disrespect, but werent peoples accountability and actions being questioned by things posted on another popular forum not too long ago?
No offence taken.

There are several websites that allow RMT transactions, however that isn't allowed here. It doesn't take a whole lot of footwork to figure out that the same posters exist and are active on Stratics as well. But with that in mind... they are still here. Any deeper reasons as to why a person is disciplined would stem from actions centered to Stratics in some fashion. We do not govern what people do off of Stratics, nor do we reveal Stratics disciplinary actions, and the reasons behind those actions to the public. That is between us and the poster.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I would like to see if the community who bought this site and support it, cares about it? really via likes or posts. thats really what im hoping for. im sure if needed someone might volunteer to be the official stratics detective in certain cases to find if people are using stratics as a medium to break the rules, if it was a stratics worker they where icqing it could then be used, I was told plain and simple by a stratics moderator they dont have time to look into icqs. so im wondering if the community as a whole cares about this or if it was just me. so if you could reply whether u care or not then stratics masters or the people that be could then take that into consideration for future. I for one dont like seeing items posted here, get excited about getting it then seeing its gold only. to me it seems this hasnt been a big enough deal for the powers above so nothing has been done. im hoping enough people dont like it.

I saw mentioned they dont have time to find peoples IP etc, well if a certtain icq is linked to a post then that icq says rl money only ban any posts with that icq. if the same items then sold other another icq yah then maybe look at ips.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would like to see if the community who bought this site and support it, cares about it? really via likes or posts. thats really what im hoping for. im sure if needed someone might volunteer to be the official stratics detective in certain cases to find if people are using stratics as a medium to break the rules, if it was a stratics worker they where icqing it could then be used, I was told plain and simple by a stratics moderator they dont have time to look into icqs. so im wondering if the community as a whole cares about this or if it was just me. so if you could reply whether u care or not then stratics masters or the people that be could then take that into consideration for future. I for one dont like seeing items posted here, get excited about getting it then seeing its gold only. to me it seems this hasnt been a big enough deal for the powers above so nothing has been done. im hoping enough people dont like it.

I saw mentioned they dont have time to find peoples IP etc, well if a certtain icq is linked to a post then that icq says rl money only ban any posts with that icq. if the same items then sold other another icq yah then maybe look at ips.
If you believe the Game ToS is being violated, you can report it directly to Broadsword / UO. Stratics enforces it's own Rules of Conduct, which can be found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics . Stratics is not in the business of acting as internet sleuths.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I definitely understand your frustration. However, we need to take a step back and look at the totality of what you are requesting.

Perhaps we could hire someone who does nothing but play detective. This person could add every single Stratics member on icq, and look for any sign of RMT. Sure we can also throw the IP searching in there that you mentioned. But where would that end? If we do that level of cyber stalking (and yes, that is cyber stalking to a point) to enforce our RMT rules, whats next? Should I be able to ban someone from Stratics for calling me the B word and telling me to go jump off a cliff through icq? Then what about the credibility of this detective? What if our little detective is someone who doesn’t like a specific poster?

Honestly, I don’t even think that level of investigating would be legal. It would be an invasion of privacy and an abuse of power. The Stratics board may have access to people IP’s and what not, but they are also trusted to keep that information safe, and NOT use it against our posters. Frankly, I would be furious if any forum I was a member of used any of my information to spy, investigate, or look into anything I was doing that wasn’t directly on their site.

So yes, while it is frustrating to find out through other avenues that someone is wanting real money only, that is something they are doing outside of Stratics. We are not able to or even allowed to do that level of investigation.

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello I wanted to see if we could get a discussion going, in hopes to get enough people caring that maybe the powers that be could change the rules.

Recently I came a crossed a post where it had something I collect and i was very interested in the item. then I come to find out they are only taking real life money at this time. So I was pretty disappointed to not be able to get the item with uo gold. I tried to make a post about to so others would also know about this, this is my fault not thinking and not using the boards alot lately, but I got a kind letter telling me that's now considered trolling.

Im not sure what the solution is but im hoping enough people don't like this that some rules or something can be changed. Honestly ive seen it alot where people do sell for rl outside of stratics and related to the postings, but up until recently i have not seen it to where they blatantly break the rules and sell for RL only not taking uo gold.

If they had said we want rl but we would take the equivalent in uo gold I probably would not be posting this. but honestly i think something needs to be done or changed. we either allow people to post it or not sit back when they do and count it as a "loop Hole" its not a loop hole the items posted here and u message them and they only take rl, imo that's the same.
WE ALL KNOW Ultima Online is a Pay to Win (P2W) game. The "so hard to get ítems" like... runic made weapons, the rares, the one of a kind ítems (UNIQUES), the castles against 7x7's. All is created to make you struggle from day one when you apear in UO with 1000 gold! and others have billions!

Its a pay to win game, we all know it and passively accept it. Otherwise we would play other games.

That attitude.... Either I get what I want or I make a post on stratics complaining. WT.... You play a play to win game.... GET OVER IT.

Its that simple.

When you play a Pay to win game you accept also that you wont have best ítems... at least if you dont pay for them which isnt allowed but we all know some guys do buy stuff with RMT.

Regards!

Jack_Uo

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it would be Legal for an RMT business to post items for sale here so long as they say ICQ me for price?

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So it would be Legal for an RMT business to post items for sale here so long as they say ICQ me for price?
Well I've been playing UO for quite a few years now and there was a time it wasnt illegal as far as I remember.

I don't know if it should be legal or not. But the cruel reality is that RMT are there all the time. And ppl are clever enough to avoid the rules. Why ban ppl for saying they are accepting money for their ítems. If some1 worked his a** to get an ítem... and he wants RL cash for it... what rule is he breaking or what moral or princple is he breaking for asking for money?? The ítem is his coz he worked for it.

I dont get why someone that has an ítem that other person need/wants should feel ashamed for selling it for cash. Is he being dishonest? IMO By acceptng money is creating the chance to a guy that cant play too many hours to farm a spot to get the ítem he wants/needs to play. And right now that is illegal but why? Why is that dishonest? Why should he hide?

I just dont get it.

Regards!

Jack_Uo

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly the only way to counter that is by something that has been ran through a few internal staff discussions, and that would be to forbid people from the whole "icq me with offers" thing.
In theory, we could make a Stratics rule forbidding people from taking offers off site. It would be more like a ebay style system where all offers and discussion must be made in the thread or through stratics PM's. But that would be a hard thing to enforce, and I'm willing to bet that a majority of the normal trade community would fight against it. But maybe its something worth discussing further.

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly the only way to counter that is by something that has been ran through a few internal staff discussions, and that would be to forbid people from the whole "icq me with offers" thing.
In theory, we could make a Stratics rule forbidding people from taking offers off site. It would be more like a ebay style system where all offers and discussion must be made in the thread or through stratics PM's. But that would be a hard thing to enforce, and I'm willing to bet that a majority of the normal trade community would fight against it. But maybe its something worth discussing further.
If you forbid offsite offers someone would immediately open a paralel site where those offers were legit and stratics would lose users. Not sure about that idea.

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The UO TOS rule against selling in-game items for RL cash is a bit hypercritical nowadays because the UO Store does exactly that! Also, isn't even discussing anything to do with this subject against your own Statics TOS? Personally, I'd like to see this thread locked and deleted and hear no more on here about this nefarious trade - anyone buying in-game items for cash is just hitting the easy mode switch - just play the game as it was intended and earn your stuff like the rest of us had too.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG ive been playing a PAY TO WIN [p2w] game for 17-18 years...no wonder iam NOT winning ....lolz....

Have a great UO day.... remember there are many ways/ reasons/styles to play UO.....XxxX

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG ive been playing a PAY TO WIN [p2w] game for 17-18 years...no wonder iam NOT winning ....lolz....

Have a great UO day.... remember there are many ways/ reasons/styles to play UO.....XxxX
When UO was 5 HOURS OLD there was already UO gold for sale online for RL cash.

Its always been a P2W game. ALWAYS! :)

Regards!

Jack_Uo

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, isn't even discussing anything to do with this subject against your own Statics TOS?
Nope, people can discuss the existence of real money transactions, strategies that could be used to prevent them etc. as much as they want without breaking the rules. The only thing that is against the rules would be actually conducting a real money sale on Stratics, advertising for a website that does it, or specifically mentioning prices items sell for in real cash amounts (not counting the UO Store) like someone posting what the current price of 1 million gold is in real currency.

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I studied law degree for 2 years and I can tell you this:

Legally the only two reasons why they dont allow RMT are:

A)so as not to have problems with any third parties buying stuff, coz if they allowed it they would be accepting a commitment to keep that ítem "alive" (not closing servers or anything like that).

B) To sell more stuff on the shop, coz if you buy somewhere else they are losing customers.

How do you call someone that forbids to sell ingame ítems for RL cash but has a store of them where they do exactly that (sell for cash)?

Last edited:

Lins

El Baja Panti
Stratics Veteran
i think its a bit ironic that their are some people who complain about RMT for items in game ....they are the same people who who used RMT to buy the gold to begin with. The only people who farm billions of gp's are mostly the same people who who sell it to YOU. players use RMT to purchase the gold to buy items - players have gold but cant purchase item because its RMT for item. so lets cry about it.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it more ironic that there is loads of gold sellers that farm and sell goods here and to top it off support stratics with that money.

Now that's ironic.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is Stratics stance on people promoting in game events (on Stratics) that are sponsored by 3rd party gold/resource selling websites?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is Stratics stance on people promoting in game events (on Stratics) that are sponsored by 3rd party gold/resource selling websites?
Forgive my naiveness, but I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, nor can I think of any examples. Regardless, I think that's a question a little too involved for a casual response from me. That is something that should be asked to the real big wigs =) Please email [email protected] with the details of that question.

Kas

Slightly Crazed
Virtual gaming for gold has been here since uo started it will never change until uo dies. And 99.99% of people can't say they have never used real life currency for this game... you are charged for a subscription or any expansion for this game. Kind of ironic they create a tos rule to prevent anyone else to make money instead of them. And it is even more ironic that rule carries over to a community that broadsword could careless for unless you follow there rules. Either way it isn't going to change. No matter if you ban accounts, there's always more. Ip ban sure but there ways around that as well. I don't agree with it but it's never going away.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are LOADS of examples on this website! They promote an in game event, you go to the event and are told to "check out our sponsors". Guess what the sponsors sell?
Yeah someone else enlightened me this morning as to what you were referring too. That is a very valid question, and one I simply do not have an answer for sadly. But yes, under our ROC we forbid RMT and all advertising of RMT on Stratics. So with that said, it is something worth looking into further. Its definitely something to discuss and hash out with the leadership board.

Last edited:

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its no secret players buy gold and items for cash. Many items I have posted, people really wanted the item, but didn't have gold to do the BO and/or keep bidding etc, so they offered cash. Not saying I took it... but it happens enough its worth mentioning. Currency is currency. If we got to vote on accepting gold only, or any currency the buyer desires, I would be hard pressed not letting the buyer decide whats right for their situation. If the seller will only take cash ,that only limits their target audience/sell-ability. I see nothing but upside to taking any currency.

It would be nice knowing whom your dealing with as a Stratics member, and all feedback on here aids in the safety of transactions. Especially dealing with cash transactions.

Happy Meal

Seasoned Veteran
I think the thread itself is getting off topic, but originally had good intent targeting the "worst offenders" who are changing the dynamic of this game forever.

I agree with some of the posts above that most of us players are guilty at some point spending $$ whether it be on gold from farmers, items from the UO store, etc, etc. It has become one of the only ways to play the game and have players afford the items necessary to be successful in game.

Here is the real problem. @Mesanna and the UO team have become more lax than ever when it comes to cheats. Someone once posted a screen shot of them asking Mesanna about cheats in PvP with a response of, "do what you have to do to win" from Mesanna. I couldn't believe this and wondered if maybe the photo was edited, but it would not surprise me.

But the larger problem is the people running endless scripts. And im not talking about the people that use these scripts for PvP to have "fun". Although that is bad, I am referring to the people using these scripts to exploit UO and profit tons of $$$. It literally has become a business for them, making thousands upon thousands of dollars. It makes me wonder myself if the UO team is behind this nonsense allowing their family members, friends, relatives, etc to participate in this behavior and profit on the side. Why else wouldn't they put a stop to it? And now they are granting amnesty to banned accounts? Go on the uo website and read this for yourself. So basically they ban no one.... and in the EXTREME chance they actually ban someone bc the cheats were so bad.... you can get your account back? Sad.

It is actually really easy to stop. It is the same players at every idoc. The UO team doesn't get suspicious when there are 100 players at every castle IDOC, and the same guy places 5x in a row?

This is who the thread was referring to, when the buyer went to go buy items from a recent thread here on stratics but seller only wanted real $$. I have ICQ logs of these guys admitting to clearing over 40 billion on one single IDOC. Also admitting to using scripts, saying "everyone does it". So to be clear, they madr over $4,000 on one IDOC.

Your telling me the UO team doesn't have the power to sit hidden at a large IDOC and see people running up and down instant looting with scripts without containers even opening? Come on...

And these players exploit us and play us against one another. They join multiple vents and look for the best prices. They lie about being in other conflicting guilds we don't get along with, when in reality they join every guild for additional contacts. So as players we only have one REAL option. Stand together and boycott buying any items from these 7 or 8 players who are cancer and exploiting UO as a business opportunity. I have seen pictures of some of these players they have submitted on group icq with 7 or 8 computer screens as if it's a picture of a military console. Sure, they will ALWAYS be able to sell their items. It is unrealistic to think someone won't step up and be willing to buy. However, if the serious players, collectors, etc who spend the most on items refuse to do business with them..... well it causes a huge problem for their "business". They will be foreced to lower their prices so much, that it really won't be worth spending the time doing what they do. They will be selling the event and server birth rares for next to nothing as all the people who collect or have large amounts of gold refused to do business with them.

I can tell you I know who these players are. I have refused to do business with them on any deals, talk to them via icq, or give them even 1 gold piece. I realized what a cancer they are to this game after a bad experience on my last transaction. They are destroying the game we all love.

Make them sell for pennies on the dollar, and I guarentee you it stops. If you are the guy who supports them, you are only adding to the problems we all hate.

Happy Meal

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone know whos WINNING in UO ....... is there a league table.....dohhhh

Last edited:

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the thread itself is getting off topic, but originally had good intent targeting the "worst offenders" who are changing the dynamic of this game forever.

I agree with some of the posts above that most of us players are guilty at some point spending $$ whether it be on gold from farmers, items from the UO store, etc, etc. It has become one of the only ways to play the game and have players afford the items necessary to be successful in game.

Here is the real problem. @Mesanna and the UO team have become more lax than ever when it comes to cheats. Someone once posted a screen shot of them asking Mesanna about cheats in PvP with a response of, "do what you have to do to win" from Mesanna. I couldn't believe this and wondered if maybe the photo was edited, but it would not surprise me.

But the larger problem is the people running endless scripts. And im not talking about the people that use these scripts for PvP to have "fun". Although that is bad, I am referring to the people using these scripts to exploit UO and profit tons of $$$. It literally has become a business for them, making thousands upon thousands of dollars. It makes me wonder myself if the UO team is behind this nonsense allowing their family members, friends, relatives, etc to participate in this behavior and profit on the side. Why else wouldn't they put a stop to it? And now they are granting amnesty to banned accounts? Go on the uo website and read this for yourself. So basically they ban no one.... and in the EXTREME chance they actually ban someone bc the cheats were so bad.... you can get your account back? Sad.

It is actually really easy to stop. It is the same players at every idoc. The UO team doesn't get suspicious when there are 100 players at every castle IDOC, and the same guy places 5x in a row?

This is who the thread was referring to, when the buyer went to go buy items from a recent thread here on stratics but seller only wanted real $$. I have ICQ logs of these guys admitting to clearing over 40 billion on one single IDOC. Also admitting to using scripts, saying "everyone does it". So to be clear, they madr over $4,000 on one IDOC.

Your telling me the UO team doesn't have the power to sit hidden at a large IDOC and see people running up and down instant looting with scripts without containers even opening? Come on...

And these players exploit us and play us against one another. They join multiple vents and look for the best prices. They lie about being in other conflicting guilds we don't get along with, when in reality they join every guild for additional contacts. So as players we only have one REAL option. Stand together and boycott buying any items from these 7 or 8 players who are cancer and exploiting UO as a business opportunity. I have seen pictures of some of these players they have submitted on group icq with 7 or 8 computer screens as if it's a picture of a military console. Sure, they will ALWAYS be able to sell their items. It is unrealistic to think someone won't step up and be willing to buy. However, if the serious players, collectors, etc who spend the most on items refuse to do business with them..... well it causes a huge problem for their "business". They will be foreced to lower their prices so much, that it really won't be worth spending the time doing what they do. They will be selling the event and server birth rares for next to nothing as all the people who collect or have large amounts of gold refused to do business with them.

I can tell you I know who these players are. I have refused to do business with them on any deals, talk to them via icq, or give them even 1 gold piece. I realized what a cancer they are to this game after a bad experience on my last transaction. They are destroying the game we all love.

Make them sell for pennies on the dollar, and I guarentee you it stops. If you are the guy who supports them, you are only adding to the problems we all hate.

Happy Meal
First of all. From day one there was GOLD to be bought online. The Owners of this game planned it as a pay to win game from day ONE. And its survived almost 20 years.

Secondly. In 1998 was even worse to play. A total pain in the a**. You couldnt even farm graveyards or go outside town without being killed.

Third. Nowadays you still come to Sosaria with 1000 gold which is absolutely unfair compared to the rest of players but it totally serves the purpose of the owners of this game to discourage players to farm like mad and directly buy ítems online to be sold for gold.

And now comes my point. You are totally against RMT you say they they ruin the game ... those 7-8 players you never buy from and to who you propose boycot.

Tell me one thing. I traded you 2 EM items of about 200-250m per or a 500m EM tree. And for what I know you have at least 7-8 other 200m each Em Ítems you posted you were selling them not long ago on this same fórum.

MY QUESTION IS DID YOU REALLY FARM THAT MUCH GOLD? REALLY? I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT.... AND THEN YOU COME IN HERE AND PROPOSE TO BOYCOT THEM COZ THEY ARE EVIL!?

C'mon buddy you are not the one to teach moralism. No offense.

Kind Regards

Jack_Uo

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can get proper help when starting, and If you dont rush it, you can still have fun starting as a successful pvm mage/warrior in group hunt with pre-reforging era gears.
"Pay to Win" is just a mis-conception that some folks are trying to sell to those new/returning players (ie. good for extra cash)

Cash for gold is ruining this game FURTHER. Dev team should form a project and get help from players to catch and ban those big time cheaters (ie. cross shard IDOC scriptor group).

Happy Meal

Seasoned Veteran
^^ I agree with @sirion

As convenient as it is, I think the shard shields hurt this game big time. It allows the IDOC scripter groups to go from shard to shard without spending any gold on transfer tokens to farm IDOCs. Also now allows people to farm event items on every shard and ruin the rare collector community. They did not think the shard shields through b4 putting it into the game

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can get proper help when starting, and If you dont rush it, you can still have fun starting as a successful pvm mage/warrior in group hunt with pre-reforging era gears.
"Pay to Win" is just a mis-conception that some folks are trying to sell to those new/returning players (ie. good for extra cash)

Cash for gold is ruining this game FURTHER. Dev team should form a project and get help from players to catch and ban those big time cheaters (ie. cross shard IDOC scriptor group).
There is no starting "groups" to which you refer to. They just dont exist after 20 years.

Most starting players are returning veterans without any gold or group. This being said if they dont join a guild that supplies them with basic stuff they cannot play.

But I dont understand why players must have an obligation to help returning players / new comers. But as game is set if we dont give some cash to beggars TO BUY BASIC LRC SUIT they cant play. And thats totally unfair. This needs to be fixed as soon as posible with an armor of initiation of something I dont know. Otherwise if thats you care (returning player with no gold or ítems or developed characters you have to be a miserable farmed and compete with scripts for 1 or 2 gold a board) *laughs*

Cash for gold ruins the game? But oficial store accepts you money, right?

Cash for gold was there to be an option since day ONE.

Lets be honest, once you've farmed for years to make some decent amount of gold and then you leave and for whatever reason what so ever you come back with no gold or developed characters (as a veteran) I bet you wont go back to the mine to start all over again. That does't happen. I know many people and still I havent met one f them that doesnt prefer the easy way which is buy gold.

Regards,

Jack_Uo

Jack

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^ I agree with @sirion

As convenient as it is, I think the shard shields hurt this game big time. It allows the IDOC scripter groups to go from shard to shard without spending any gold on transfer tokens to farm IDOCs. Also now allows people to farm event items on every shard and ruin the rare collector community. They did not think the shard shields through b4 putting it into the game
I dont think shard shields ruin the rare collector comunity. But IMO shard shields help the rare community to be bigger and stronger because more players can farm Event Items and not only a few "elite members" like in the past. That was unfair.

I'm against idoc looters if they use a script because thats unfair to other players. When you try to loot an ítem you either cannot pick it up or suddently you client crashes. That has happened to me. SCRIPTERS ARE THE PROBLEM.

Now you can farm other shards events which makes the rares comunity bigger and stronger but its true that old collectors wont be able to have so many and so rare ítems.

IMO that can be solved with more UNIQUE ítems and still other players that want to participate in events can see their expectations rewarded with a bunch so 1/10 -1/15 - 1/20 Event ítems once in a whle (what i would call nowadays a "semi-rare" coz its not UNIQUE but its rare still). I agree with this. Just dont forget old collectors and throw them some UNIQUE ítems once in a while so they will still play and not just leave forsaken by the devs.

Regards,

Jack_Uo

Happy Meal

Seasoned Veteran
@Jack_UO

Maybe you should read my post again. I will quote my post from above:

"I agree with some of the posts above that most of us players are guilty at some point spending $$ whether it be on gold from farmers, items from the UO store, etc, etc. It has become one of the only ways to play the game and have players afford the items necessary to be successful in game."

My message was in concern to people USING CHEATS to exploit UO for $$$. I am not entirely against RMT. I would rather see people sell their UO account for $$ and it go to a good home or another active player rather than the account get lost into the Abyss. RMT for UO gold never really bothered me, bc it was there since day 1 on Ebay when the game first came out. Again... my problem is CHEATING. Say what you want, but cheats were not even 1% compared to what they are today. Now, cheats have expanded so much further than just PvP. My problem is with the people running IDOC scripts or cheats to make $4,000.00 on a single IDOC. How is that possible? In theory if its a Trammel IDOC, everyone should be able to manually loot and get just as many items. So the people that are there honestly (such as myself)... can not even loot one item or bag before it is gone. There are tons of players that experience this, and now do not even bother with IDOCS....making the problem worse.... and leaving the IDOCS to the scripters. The cheaters obtain all the rares in game first (Scaffolds, 2 story statues, server births, uniques, etc) Once they have obtained the item, they can write a script to instantly loot the item from an IDOC. Before you know it, they have master copies and scripts to loot almost any item in UO.

Did you even read my post?

And you are 110% wrong about not being able to leave in 1998 without getting killed. If you took a group on a boat to kill Titans on the island, you could farm more gold than you knew what to do with. And no one would be at the island. The only problem is most people only ventured outside of Britain into the east forest, graveyard, or other largely popular PvP areas getting themselves killed. There were a LOT more players back then. Also, you could do wonders with 50k gold. You could buy armor from a vendor, join Chaos or Order, buy a house, and do very well in PvP.

Nice accusations, but yes I really did farm that much gold. I returned in April, and I have EASILY farmed over 15 plat by myself from doing TMAPS and the Roof. I have completed over 1500+ TMAPS. I can have over half a dozen people vouch for that as all they do is make fun of me for PvM. My hardest part is getting a group to go do these things, so I just play this game SOLO now for Tmaps or whatever. PvP is not as fun for me as it is all cheats and children running around with 11+ mods. I'd love nothing more than for Factions to come back. Actual reagents to come back. Armor that can be looted to come back. There are at least four or five times I have gotten an item that I sold for over 1 plat+ from the Roof or from a Tchest. The problem is the Roof and Tmaps are hardly worth it doing now....Why? BECAUSE OF CHEATS! The prices in legends or where I obtained most of my gold seemed to have fell off in about June. A bracelet that was worth 1 plat might go for like 200m now. Again.... people have found a way to use UOS and run scripts to farm legends while not even being at their computer. This is the reason for the EXPLOSION and kill off in the legendary items. I am just now starting to get back into PvP, as I would mostly just log into UO on the days I was free to do 15 T-maps or a couple Roof runs. None of my PvP characters even have masteries set up yet. I also do MANY buys and resells. For Example, no one bought Lin's hatchet on the uo tradeboard when he tried to auction it. I recognized a good buy. I bought the hatchet for 400million, and I sold it for 750 million. There are also many other good opportunities with vendor search, auctions on rare community, etc. I am not going to sit here and give away my secrets, but I can tell you I DO NOT cheat. No where in my post did I say I was against RMT. My problem is with people that exploit the game as a business. This game is meant for fun & entertainment.... not to make money in RL. I do not have a problem with someone making the occasional money on a RMT from a great item, as long as they are not doing it full time. There is a real problem with cheats in this game. If scripts are getting so advanced people can farm while being away at computer, set up additional scripts to respond to a GM if they appear, etc etc..... well.... we have REAL big problems.

I don't think I have actually ever seen you do anything but sit at Luna bank and gate or try to sell items? How do you even know what I do on UO?

So next time it might be a little wise to get the facts before accusing someone of something.

Happy Meal

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- RMT certainly has always existed, and people make their free choices. That's perfectly fine.
- OP wants to review RMT policy on this forum. This is perfectly fine as well.
- Helping new players or not, no one has any expectations. It is all freewill and choices. You are just trying so hard to sell your perspective.
- Root cause of driving RMT to a twisted level is definitely due to mass scripting IDOC.

The other day I pumped into what appears to be an auto bot that recalls/walks certain rail routes checking for house signs. I managed to record a clip. Amazing stuff.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many people have no idea how many schemes there have been to make real money off this game. Most recently, a popular player was buying game time codes off third-party websites for half the price regularly sold by Origin. He then turned around and sold game time codes for in-game gold. Finally, turning around once more and selling that in-game gold for USD. Instant USD profit, 0 effort required.

After a few more people discovered what was going on, the third-party website jacked up the price of the game time code because of popularity. They still sell codes a couple dollars cheaper than Origin, and I have no idea how they do that... just not nearly as cheap as they used to go for and that player made BIG BANK off that scheme.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Lets try to keep as close as we can on topic please also, Im not against people spending money for the game stuff. What did irritate me was being told from a post on stratics they are taking only real life money. if they want to take rl or the equivalent of uo gold then great.i would have never posted this, but this is full out blatant we dont care about the rules and we do what we want. Ive seen one good solution which i think solves alot of problems which is to only take offers on this stratics site. the other big reason i like this is, there is or has been people who say they have an icq bid when there is no way to tell if its real or not this would fix both what i think big issues.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Many people have no idea how many schemes there have been to make real money off this game. Most recently, a popular player was buying game time codes off third-party websites for half the price regularly sold by Origin. He then turned around and sold game time codes for in-game gold. Finally, turning around once more and selling that in-game gold for USD. Instant USD profit, 0 effort required.

After a few more people discovered what was going on, the third-party website jacked up the price of the game time code because of popularity. They still sell codes a couple dollars cheaper than Origin, and I have no idea how they do that... just not nearly as cheap as they used to go for and that player made BIG BANK off that scheme.
This one is simple - UO is played round the world. Cost to play in other areas of the world is cheaper than in the US. Exchange rates and medium costs of living matter, even in video games! Depending on where you purchase from, you can buy cheaper in other countries and sell for a profit to the US market. This is the "proper" way i've seen it done. The more aggressive way i've heard it done is based on in game cheats that give you codes free and you sell for a much cheaper profit.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ive seen one good solution which i think solves alot of problems which is to only take offers on this stratics site. the other big reason i like this is, there is or has been people who say they have an icq bid when there is no way to tell if its real or not this would fix both what i think big issues.
As a buyer, it is up to you to decide whether you want to deal with someone who is going to only accept Stratics bids (something you can ask when bidding or thinking about bidding on an item) or if they will also accept ICQ bids/buyouts.

It's not up to Stratics to regulate how sellers decide to hold their auctions, who they sell to, or for what price. Nor are we in any place to tell them what mediums they can and can't sell through or accept bids through. We can strongly suggest they post bids on Stratics, but it's on the seller and their own reputation ultimately.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They still sell codes a couple dollars cheaper than Origin, and I have no idea how they do that...
They have programs that constantly enter random sequences of numbers into the UO "redeem a code" section. Eventually the program guesses correctly and gets free stuff. The websites can then sell the stuff they got, like gametime codes, for cheaper than UO itself because they got them for free anyway. They have been doing it for years.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They have programs that constantly enter random sequences of numbers into the UO "redeem a code" section. Eventually the program guesses correctly and gets free stuff. The websites can then sell the stuff they got, like gametime codes, for cheaper than UO itself because they got them for free anyway. They have been doing it for years.
This is not how/where the batches of 60-day game time codes that are sold on "that site" come from.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figured they were foreign, just didn't know it costs less to play UO in other countries.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran

HAHAHAH @Captn Norrington You really went far now!! haha, That is Not true man, They are doing exactly as few people mentioned before, on some country's the dollar vs country currency is sooo different that become a lot cheaper to buy the codes!!, Nothing , Nothing Illegal on doing that!!.

and yes, it is true that couple years ago the "XXX website" was selling for 80% cheaper and the Devs deleted over 1k+ codes...

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The original post was designed to question Stratics stance on RMT and the reasons why some people still advertise through Stratics for their RMT sales. I believe that question has been answered, and this thread keeps veering into conversations that have nothing to do with the original question.
I am locking this thread before things spiral too far out of control. If anyone has any questions still regarding Strtaics policy’s, please email [email protected].
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.