• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Penalty using a shield?

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been a while since I posted on this thread. But with the reforging and changes to weapons and armour
my interest has perked up again.
I've decided to ditch anat and go with 60 parrying to get to 300 combined skills for lower mana use on the special moves. I went and checked on the main UO site concerning blocking ability and with out shield and parrying my ability to block was only 5% either with a one handed or two handed weapon.
But with parrying with out a shield and 120 weapon skill and 60 parrying my one handed and two handed
blocking chances go up like 4 to 5 times. With a shield it remains at 5% the same as with out the parrying skill.

My question is are there any other concerns if you equip yourself with a shield and a one handed weapon
besides the blocking chances with out it. Thus affording you the oppurtunity to have more mods on your temp plate such as SSI etc.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No potions, and if you have bushido it drops your chance to block to 0. What's your template and preferred hunting spot?

Deception

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing you lose by equipping a shield when you have parry and bushido is the chance to block. If you have 120 bushido and 60 parry, your 2-h parry chance is 22.5%, while your 1-h chance is 20%. Compare that to the 5% chance you'll have if you equip a shield. However, if you aren't having problems surviving melee opponents, then perhaps the SSI/DI/DCI etc you could get from a shield would outweigh the 15-17.5% extra chance to block. That is a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Hope that helps

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx for the input, that's pretty much what I came to as far as a conclusion on using the shield or not.
I have been fighting just some simply things atm such as the skele knights that give your bones in the grave yards. The ratmen in the cavern of the discarded for
imbuing ingrediants, and the clay golems in Shame for some of the new 10 SS rings or bracelets. Not to much of a challange there actually, but I did find on the next level down in
Shame that the Fire elementals were a challenge, I need to be better prepared for them next time I go down and faced them.
I'm in the middle of changing my fighting skills but basically this
sword 120
tactics 120
resist 120
chiv 75 or so but may ditch it
parry 60
necro 99
bushido 120

Going to try for 10 hci on woodland armour on gloves arms chest and gorget, curently have 5 HCI that I made when imbuing first came out
Resists almost all maxed out
like 34 lmc
DI with weapons at 35 comes to around 95 or so
HCI and DCI currently at 45 each partly do to rings and braclet but when I make the armour that will change
Str at 144 and HP at 147
dex at 150 and stamina t 183
int at 10 and mana at 59
with the correct weapons i can leech mana and stamina when i need it and being in vamp can heal pretty well with that along with confidence

Never really did much with the champ spawns or those elite monsters but held my own with most of the mobs in the abyss including the renowns.

I'll have to test now if I likie using a shield or not once I go with the 60 parry skill which I may increase to 120 and ditch the chiv skill. Being a pretty old player I tend to
try out the old areas first to test then move forward.

Thanx for the feed back!