• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Patching - Getting off on the wrong foot

B

Beastmaster

I downloaded the beta client on the 18th. It wouldn't run on my PC. Can't say I was surprised at that, though KR would at least let me move around my home. So I bite the bullet and go buy a new laptop. The specs all exceed Chrissay's recommended ones. I install the small beta client file and begin the patching process. Then I think, damn! another 3-4 hour patch process. So, I have a brainstorm and copy the files not yet downloaded while its still pulling in that huge animation2.uop file. I think AHA! I've gotten ahead of it and when it finishes that 470+mb monster it will see the rest there and only patch any that have changed. WRONG! Its totally disregarding them and downloading them all again.

It just plain sucks that you have to go through the entire patch download in cases like this.

So my suggestion is "make the patcher smarter!"

O

Omgbunny

I downloaded the client on my laptop, after 5 hours of downloading it failed to download the last file for some reason. Rather then restarting from where it left off or some type of file checking utility (like wow), it started to dl all over again.

I said f that .. Now I have no plans on trying the beta again anytime soon.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The patcher would've been smart enough... if you stopped the patching and restarted it. It doesn't (and shouldn't need to) check each individual file right before it downloads - it checks to see what you need as a whole, then queues it all up.

B

Beastmaster

I hope you are correct Gildar, but the post above yours contradicts what you said. At any rate, I'm patched up now and giving it a whirl. I've run around my semi-secluded home area and Luna and think I'll have to scour the threads here for the graphics settings tips for better performance.

Unfortunately UO has never had proper support through a well documented website. We have to learn from each other and are forced to make the same mistakes over and over. I intend to give SA a fair trial before passing judgement.

On a positive note, I greatly appreciate the graphics in SA over KR, so far.