• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Password recovery woes

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I tried to reactivate my accounts the other day, and I found that I'd somehow managed to forget the passwords to two of them. This wouldn't be a problem usually with UO's standard password recovery feature, but as I no longer have access to the e-mail they're connected to, this isn't an option.

So I tried to find out the best way to recover it, and I'm reliably informed that there's no direct support number to call within the UK, so I should fill out a webform on the EA support page.

I went through all the right categories, to accounts/billing, and password retrieval. The page told me I would need to provide my postcode, date of birth, and the last 8 digits of the last card I used to pay for the account - so I did.

Sometime later that day I got a response back, telling me that in order to recover my passwords, I would have to give my full name (easy enough), and both my account creation codes.

Now maybe I'm stupid for not hanging onto my original boxes/manuals, but this was 10 years ago. I understand that something is required to identify myself as the true account holder, but why exactly is my billing information not enough? Both of my accounts have been billed under my name (or at least surname, due to parents making some payments) for at least 9 years (one account is 10 years old but belonged to my rl friend for the first year, who lived about 100 metres away from me so his billing address would be virtually identical to mine)

I sent a reply to the support form explaining this, but it's been about 30 hours now without response (24 hours is the cited maximum time for responses).

Does anyone else have any recent experience with this process? I know one option would be to call the regular support number, but I don't have a landline in my home and I certainly can't call a premium rate overseas number from a mobile or a payphone ;)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, that kind of sucks. Billing information should be sufficient, but then again it could be stolen easily. Keep trying man. I sure as heck don't have my original code or box or whatever it was I used to create my account, lol.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Billing information can be stolen of course, but I still wouldn't be able to cite my accounts full billing history for 10 years, including the obscure first year friend owner who lives down the road from me* ;) I mean no hacker would know this.

*not that I know my friends' card number of course, but I know his full name and billing address :)

T

Tazar

It would be an expensive phone call, but 1(866) 543-5435 (US number) can get the problem fixed. Just ask for agent to get to a live person that can help.

Otherwise... keep working the "contact us" message system and be persistent!

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be an expensive phone call, but 1(866) 543-5435 (US number) can get the problem fixed. Just ask for agent to get to a live person that can help.

Otherwise... keep working the "contact us" message system and be persistent!
Arrrr, be there an "internet phone" option ta make it a free call?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not an option, or just expensive? If it is a canceled ISP account, I would consider paying for one more month, if I were you. :)
I agree! I recovered my old AOL accounts so i can play again. Support was no help....Lemme find that email.........Man i can't find that question i submitted but it went something like this:

"I no longer have the email address i used for my ultima online accounts. Is there another way to recover my account?"

"Thank you for contacting EA customer support. I see your Sims Online subscription has been suspended because your coupon queue is empty..."

At that point i decided not to continue any further and just work on getting my email accounts back.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you purchased a box or bought a code from the UO gamecodes store to upgrade one of those accounts (e.g., SE, ML, 9th anniversary, 7th char slot/more storage space), maybe the code from the upgrade box or that was in the e-mail would be easier to find than the original code and perhaps sufficient for EA to use to confirm the account is yours?