• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Passive Detect Hidden.......

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should only work if the player invested in the actual detect hidden skill.

<---Captain Obvious

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
stealthing and ninjitsu are both very overpowered as it is. As a thief and as a pvper, I don't think we need a tweak.

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care about ninjitsu this is related to the thief. Passive detect needs to be nerfed.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a thief, I'm telling you it doesn't need to be nerfed. Stealthing and Ninjitsu are currently overpowered. A prepared thief almost never dies anymore.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care about ninjitsu this is related to the thief. Passive detect needs to be nerfed.
Ninjitsu is very relevant to the discussion, with it you can nullify passive detect, having it on a template makes passive detect practically useless.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can use shadow jump to move, which does entirely remove the chance of being passively revealed. However, any PvP'er with a decent eye is going to see it and take measures against you. It is generally useful for going after fellow blues, as they wont be able to do squat to reveal you without a proper detective.

Nevertheless, while there is no overly effective way to combat passive detect...it is the only fun challenge left to us thieves. Or stealthers in general, for that matter. Perma-criminal is gone, step counting is gone, having to actively use the stealth skill is no-more, and insurance has meant that we can all wear insanely defensive suits.

I actually agree with Omnius. If you are properly prepared, it is damned hard to die, these days! I run my thieves in factions for the added challenge of mass-ganks. I've been running around on Atl, yesterday, with not a single skill GM'ed, a half-assed suit, and no smoke bombs...I was still getting away with too much. :/

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the constant nerfing to the thief profession has turned UO thieves into masochists. lol

I still think passive detect hidden is silly... unless of course if someone has actually invested points into Detecting Hidden.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the constant nerfing to the thief profession has turned UO thieves into masochists. lol

I still think passive detect hidden is silly... unless of course if someone has actually invested points into Detecting Hidden.
Not every theft requires stealth. Some of my most high profile, high end event thefts have involved hiding in plain sight to succeed.

Stealthing and ninjitsu are not just thief skills, as they stand, they're very over powered. It doesn't need love. We just need more stuff to steal.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use shadow jump to move, which does entirely remove the chance of being passively revealed. However, any PvP'er with a decent eye is going to see it and take measures against you. It is generally useful for going after fellow blues, as they wont be able to do squat to reveal you without a proper detective.

Nevertheless, while there is no overly effective way to combat passive detect...it is the only fun challenge left to us thieves. Or stealthers in general, for that matter. Perma-criminal is gone, step counting is gone, having to actively use the stealth skill is no-more, and insurance has meant that we can all wear insanely defensive suits.

I actually agree with Omnius. If you are properly prepared, it is damned hard to die, these days! I run my thieves in factions for the added challenge of mass-ganks. I've been running around on Atl, yesterday, with not a single skill GM'ed, a half-assed suit, and no smoke bombs...I was still getting away with too much. :/

Don't forget at spawns!, that little puff of smoke when you shadow jump matches the animation that appears when gold starts spawning. This gives you a chance to get in close without being detected a majority of the time.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hehe, yeah. That is by far the spells most useful example. Especially these days, when they all just stand around like idiots after the scroll drop. :D :party:

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't need love. We just need more stuff to steal.
Yeah... you are right.... just decided to star Shadow Jumping a lot more... very useful indeed. Just have to change my tactics then.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a thief, I'm telling you it doesn't need to be nerfed. Stealthing and Ninjitsu are currently overpowered. A prepared thief almost never dies anymore.
key word is prepared... doesn't this apply to all temps ? you say prepared like it's an exploit or something.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
key word is prepared... doesn't this apply to all temps ? you say prepared like it's an exploit or something.
I hardly think that being clear constitutes implying that being prepared is some dirty word.