• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Parry Skill with no Shield

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

If you have 120 Parry with no shield or Bushido, do you still Parry a certain percentage or is it zero?

Thanks, Katrena

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully someone else will confirm this.

But I think it's with a 2-hander, you parry at half. (So 60, if real Parry is 120.)

And with a 1-hander I'm also thinking it's at half, but it has not been that way for as long.

-Galen's player

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can find accurte block chance calculations here:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

They have never steered me wrong.
I do not understand the results from the "Chance to Block on Attack" calculator. There is no difference between a one or two handed weapon when no shield is equipped. I used 120 Parry and 150 Dex for these results. For some reason, it shows these same results when I add 100 Bushido, which I thought would make a difference. Also, is there a difference between Parrying and Blocking?

Chance of blocking with a shield: 35%
Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 20%
Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon:20%

Thanks, Katrena

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not understand the results from the "Chance to Block on Attack" calculator. There is no difference between a one or two handed weapon when no shield is equipped. I used 120 Parry and 150 Dex for these results. For some reason, it shows these same results when I add 100 Bushido, which I thought would make a difference. Also, is there a difference between Parrying and Blocking?

Chance of blocking with a shield: 35%
Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 20%
Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon:20%

Thanks, Katrena
The BLOCK CHANCE calculator may be borked! I was trying to remind myself what 80 dex, 120 bush/parry and two handed weapon gave as a block chance and the calculator wasnt working for me today. Have to retry it to confirm.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The BLOCK CHANCE calculator may be borked! I was trying to remind myself what 80 dex, 120 bush/parry and two handed weapon gave as a block chance and the calculator wasnt working for me today. Have to retry it to confirm.
It appears the calculator is not accepting entries for Bushido skill. The formulas/mechanics given below the calculator are accurate though.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With Parrying (only), the chance to block an attack is greatest with a shield. The chance to block an attack with either an 1H or 2H weapon is the same. Review of the formulas shows your chance to block with a weapon without the Bushido skill will always use the Legacy formula (since the New formula calculates to 0% chance at 0.0 Bushido). The Legacy formula for 1H and 2H weapon block chance is the same, this is why there is no difference.

The calculator appears to not be accepting Bushido input, at the moment. Given your above entries (120 Parry, 100 Bushido, >80 Dex), it should return:
Chance of blocking with a shield: 10%
Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 30%
Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon: 34%

Your chance to block with a weapon will increase with your Bushido skill, however your chance to block with a shield will decrease. With Bushido, your chance to block will use the New formulas, not the Legacy formulas.

Blocking and Parrying are synonymous. A successful block/parry prevents the attack from landing and doing damage (not including weapon Hit xx effects). This is an independent combat mechanic than the % Chance to Hit (given earlier on that page).

Stayin Alive,

BG

Cephas [V]

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Having read all that, and not to derail the thread, but what then is the special move Block? What does it do, and how does it affect/augment Parry?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Block Chance calculator has been fixed. Thank you Stratics Team. :thumbup:

Stayin Alive,

BG