• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Parry skill gain changed?

C

cademord

It's been a while since I trained my parry up to 115, the old Sheep pen/Bull pen method. Just got a 120 scroll, sat among the angry livestock and no gains for 30+ mins.

Has it changed? What's going on?

G

GFY

Not as far as I know.

Check all the standard problems;

Is parry set to gain?
Is another skill set to lose?
Are you using a weapon you have no skill in?
Are you using a suit with no DCI?

C

Connor_Graham

Not as far as I know.

Check all the standard problems;

Is parry set to gain?
Is another skill set to lose?
Are you using a weapon you have no skill in?
Are you using a suit with no DCI?
If you have Bushido are you equipping a shield?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Equip a weapon for which you have 0 skill (i.e. like a swordsman using a dagger). I had this problem too. Not sure why, but even tabbed out, when carrying a weapon of my skill type I would not gain against sheep... even after an hour of getting hit. I happened to put the wrong weapon type on and all of a sudden, my problem was solved. Make sure you have that other skill locked at 0.

-OBSIDIAN-

C

cademord

Yep, all that sorted. Same thing today. Got a GGS gain, then nothing. Same with healing and I used a lot of bandies.

30 mins without a parry point. I got to 115 in just a few hours using the exact same method in the bull pen.

C

Connor_Graham

Did you check to make sure you're not at your skill cap, either the total 720 points along with making sure you ate the scroll to raise the cap of the skill itself?

C

cademord

Yes. I've done several toons up to 120 in exactly this fashion and have checked everything meticulously.

I'm at the cap but with 14.5% in Focus to burn and 9.9 in Resist to burn. With the GGS gain I got, I'm at 115.2, so I ate the scroll. Using a GM ringmail suit with a store bought bladed staff while I'm a macer. No jewels, no talisman.

C

cademord

Yep, about 110. No shield equipped, bladed staff is a two hander.

C

Connor_Graham

Yep, about 110. No shield equipped, bladed staff is a two hander.
That's your problem right there then. If you have Bushido you MUST equip a shield in order to use this gain method. Equip a shield and give it another try and I'll bet you'll start seeing the gains fly.

C

cademord

Now I feel like a right bell end.
I was sure it worked the other way around. Thanks a lot, took about an hour.

C

Connor_Graham

Not to make you feel any worse, but that was the first question I asked.

It's usually the first question I ask and so far has been the reason every time. :lick:

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im having a similar problem with parry gains being very slow. Im at the animal pen and have 4 sheep and three rabbits attacking me. Im using a macing weapon which i have no skill in and using a skill because i have about 116 bushido. Am i doing something wrong? should i just have everything in the pen attack me? My parry skill is at 102.4 and i have gotten 3 gains in about 30 minutes

A

Arch Magus

If you have Bushido, put on a shield.

If you don't have bushido, put on a shield and a weapon you suck with.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently retrained parry from 110 to 120...I stood naked with 6-8 sheep attacking me. I held a knights kiss ( I am a swordsman). It took me 2-.2.5 hrs and a bunch of bandies.

Oh and for the record...I did this after taking bushido to 120.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im having a similar problem with parry gains being very slow. Im at the animal pen and have 4 sheep and three rabbits attacking me. Im using a macing weapon which i have no skill in and using a skill because i have about 116 bushido. Am i doing something wrong? should i just have everything in the pen attack me? My parry skill is at 102.4 and i have gotten 3 gains in about 30 minutes
Yes, I see your glaring problem. When you are working parry, your parry skill should ALWAYS be higher than your bushido skill. Always. I would stone bushido and then retry using a shield.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main reason being for what I said, is that the parry calculation when calculating your bushido will determine that your bushido is higher, hence you will have less of a chance to parry using your shield. Hence less chances to gain, because less chances to parry. That was the laymen's terms version.

In terms of the calculation, parry is always calculated before bushido. Theoretically, if you had neither parry or bushido above 100, and your bushido skill was higher than your parry skill, you would have ZERO percent chance to block with a shield.

But, since you have them both above 100.0, you have around a 6.6% chance to block with a shield. Hence a pretty low percentage. If your numbers were flipflopped then it would look like this:

percent chance = (116 parry - 102.4 bushido) /4 = 3.4% + 5% for over 100 + 5% for over 100 = 13.4% chance when blocking WITH a shield.

Consequently, because your values ARE what they are, you have TWICE as LESS of a chance to get a parry gain then say if your PARRY was higher than your bushido skill.

Hope that helps. Keep in mind, this is when using the shield trick.

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did this on 2 chars last night. One had bushido one didnt. The one that had bush I got a bunch of unarmed fighters at the jel pits and ad them hit me while using a 1 handed wep. On the char with no bush same thing just used 2 handed wep. I threw together a junk suit with high phys self repair and hpr on each piece and i was good. (braclet of health on suit)
PS: Be sure to use a weapon you have no skill in.

T

Turdnugget

If you're using female wrestlers, no need for armor/HPR... they do no damage. You're just wasting durability on crappy armor =)

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's your problem right there then. If you have Bushido you MUST equip a shield in order to use this gain method. Equip a shield and give it another try and I'll bet you'll start seeing the gains fly.
Nail on the Head (they should have an emoticon for that :D)

If you have Bushido, you want to use a one-handed weapon (that you have no skill in) and a shield for best gains.

T

Turdnugget

I guess the idea of female wrestlers is going over your head.

Get this... Female wrestlers do absolutely NO DAMAGE. Why would you need to wear armor or HPR items if you are taking NO DAMAGE? Doesn't make sense =/ Unless you're worried about someone walking by seeing you in your skibbies.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just trained parry again with a friend last nite. Naked, shield, no weap, and have bushido. Used females with no weapons, or disarm them if you can without killing them. Works good.
Get this.... cast divine fury and you will get the -20 DCI penalty and the gains fly with 20 females in Tram.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Get this... Female wrestlers do absolutely NO DAMAGE. Why would you need to wear armor or HPR items if you are taking NO DAMAGE? Doesn't make sense =/ Unless you're worried about someone walking by seeing you in your skibbies.
Yep exactly. I had said reason I always DID...meaning, lol I worked parry years ago. But, when I did do it, yes I used female wrestlers. Anyone with common sense knows that.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sorry. Since these replies aren't threaded anymore, I didn't realize he was standing naked next to a female wrestler.

All I know is I can go from 0 to 120 parrying in less than 3 hours using the farm animal method and they do 1 or 2 points of damage to you. they used to do no damage, but that was changed about a year ago. You might want to check and make sure the female wrestlers still aren't doing any damage.

P

peanutdance

I just trained Parry to 100 on farm animals with a 1 handed weapon I have no skill in with no shield. I also have the Bushido skill (70ish).

Why would you want to equip a shield if you HAVE the bushido skill? Won't that lower your parry % and provide less chance to gain? Don't you want the highest parry chance possible?

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just trained Parry to 100 on farm animals with a 1 handed weapon I have no skill in with no shield. I also have the Bushido skill (70ish).

Why would you want to equip a shield if you HAVE the bushido skill? Won't that lower your parry % and provide less chance to gain? Don't you want the highest parry chance possible?
Parry skill gain is based on difficulty. In other words, the less chance you have to successfully parry, the better chance you have to gain.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry. Since these replies aren't threaded anymore, I didn't realize he was standing naked next to a female wrestler.

All I know is I can go from 0 to 120 parrying in less than 3 hours using the farm animal method and they do 1 or 2 points of damage to you. they used to do no damage, but that was changed about a year ago. You might want to check and make sure the female wrestlers still aren't doing any damage.
Yeah good point. I don't know if that still holds true or not that the female wrestlers won't do damage now. That is, if they had changed that at the same time the animal method was changed.

T

Turdnugget

Unless they just changed female wrestlers in the last month... I just did it myself less than a month ago.

F

Flinnt

If you REALLY want to be efficient, head to New Haven. Grab about 3-6 spellbinders (depending on your healing skill) macro bandaging yourself. Put on a shield (one with high Self repair) and unarmed. No armor. Lock wrestling. Target one and start swinging away.

Went from 30 tactics, 50 parry, 0 resisting spells, 50 healing, 0 anat to

60 tactics, 115 parry, 105 resist, 85 healing, and 85 anat overnight.

Great way to start out a new dexer :D

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you REALLY want to be efficient, head to New Haven. Grab about 3-6 spellbinders (depending on your healing skill) macro bandaging yourself. Put on a shield (one with high Self repair) and unarmed. No armor. Lock wrestling. Target one and start swinging away.

Went from 30 tactics, 50 parry, 0 resisting spells, 50 healing, 0 anat to

60 tactics, 115 parry, 105 resist, 85 healing, and 85 anat overnight.

Great way to start out a new dexer :D
So, I hate what if questions, but here goes. What if you started at 90 healing (which is where healing FIRST becomes reliable), and then you start training? Could you have say more than 6 spellbinders or would that be ignorant? Interesting strategy I have not tried yet.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I am having troubles with Parry gains... and I just did this on another character like a month ago...

I am in the pits, have female fighters hitting me (about 10 currently), I am tabbed out, I had bushido 120 so I tried using a 2 handed weapon (spear) my character is swords that didnt work so I soulstoned bushido and went back with a dagger this time still no gains.

I have 40 real skill in parry, skill total currently is 590 parry is set up... I turned it down and back up, killed myself, logged out and back still no gains.. I tried it unguilded first, then made a guild for the character... still no gains.

This is my 3 rd character I have parry on.... the other 2 I worked the same way and went from 40 to 120 in less than 2 hours.

Has something changed with the most recent patch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... trying to finish up my sampire and Parry is the last of the skills I need to work up.

Thanks in advance....

C

Connor_Graham

I had bushido 120 so I tried using a 2 handed weapon (spear)
This is where you went wrong. If you have Bushido, in order to gain in Parry you must equip a shield and a 1 handed weapon you have no skill in in order to get gains.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought I tried that as well... cause I read through prolly a dozen posts about gaining and I read where you mentioned that earlier Connor. I will put bushido back on and go back down with a one handed weapon and a shield see how it goes.

But even without bushido how would I go about it?

Thanks for the help!

L

Larry

I must be bugged or something. I'm not at cap...

My parry is at 106, no bushido. I have a warfork equpped (i'm a macer) and I can't even get a damn GGS.

What should I do?

T

Turdnugget

Use a 2handed weapon Larry.

If you have ONLY parry. Use a 2handed weapon in a weapon skill you DO NOT have.

If you have parry AND bushido, use a shield.

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here I am again.. unable to gain even after trying what was suggested...

My skills are :
Bushido - 0 (120 has been stoned)
Chiv - 90
necro - 100
parry - 40 ( what I am trying to gain in )
Swords - 110
Tactics - 110

Standing in Jhelom Farms with a spear ( 2 handed weapon in a skill I have 0 points in). I have 12 female fighters hitting me and I have not got any gains. Anyone else able to gain off the fighters now? I fell like something has changed in the recent patch. I am also guilded... does this matter?

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just for $hits and giggles I went to the sheep farm and gained right away there... back to the fighters and no gain!

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well that worked till I hit 47.7 then nothing... tried going back to the fighters and nothing there either

this is bad