• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Parry mage

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys

Just a simple question. Is the parry mage still good in pvp? And if yes what would you squeak into his or her suit? And what should the stats be like?

Atm i am running a necro mage with magery eval int med ss necor and wrestle all 120

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys

Just a simple question. Is the parry mage still good in pvp? And if yes what would you squeak into his or her suit? And what should the stats be like?

Atm i am running a necro mage with magery eval int med ss necor and wrestle all 120
Parry mages will be vicious post pub 71.

The build I'm making are mixes of GM parry/scribe/aclh. I'm going to experiment with combining 2 out of those 3 and seeing which works best (reflected by temp1 and temp2 in template below).

mage 120
eval 120
resist 120
med 60
anat 100
temp 1 100
temp 2 100

Add skill increase to jewels to get more med in there if desired.

Suit needs to be 40 LMC, 10+ MR, 70 DCI, 25 HPI, max resists, 50 EP. I may or may not even use LRC, I haven't decided yet.

Stats you want to hit 85 dex after an agility pot if you go parry. 150 HP is ideal.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry mages will be vicious post pub 71.

The build I'm making are mixes of GM parry/scribe/aclh. I'm going to experiment with combining 2 out of those 3 and seeing which works best (reflected by temp1 and temp2 in template below).

mage 120
eval 120
resist 120
med 60
anat 100
temp 1 100
temp 2 100

Add skill increase to jewels to get more med in there if desired.

Suit needs to be 40 LMC, 10+ MR, 70 DCI, 25 HPI, max resists, 50 EP. I may or may not even use LRC, I haven't decided yet.

Stats you want to hit 85 dex after an agility pot if you go parry. 150 HP is ideal.
What about the classical 120 mage eval int parry wrestle resisit and med template? of course with your mentioned mods on the suit..interesting fact not even using lrc...hmm? the good ole days of carrying regs again ...another possibility saving a mod on each piece

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My all time favorite parry mage

120mage
120eval
100anat
100resist
100scribe
120parry
60med

I had a skill ring to get up to 120 resist plus I used the orc brute tali for a few more points.. I think it was more like 72 med or something.. but it was solid non disarmable defense with a bite.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My all time favorite parry mage

120mage
120eval
100anat
100resist
100scribe
120parry
60med

I had a skill ring to get up to 120 resist plus I used the orc brute tali for a few more points.. I think it was more like 72 med or something.. but it was solid non disarmable defense with a bite.
I assume that you dont have protection casted? Wont you fail quite some bit with gm resist as alot if not all your apponents will have a 120 spellcasting skill? I reckon you will need very high if not the highest possible mr mods on your suit? Another question is why 80 dex? Well i can see why you prefer gm anat over 120 wrestle. Can tweak those extra 20 points on med...Well I decided to go for the classical variant.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I assume that you dont have protection casted? Wont you fail quite some bit with gm resist as alot if not all your apponents will have a 120 spellcasting skill? I reckon you will need very high if not the highest possible mr mods on your suit? Another question is why 80 dex? Well i can see why you prefer gm anat over 120 wrestle. Can tweak those extra 20 points on med...Well I decided to go for the classical variant.
Parrys usefulness is directly affected by Dex, if you have less than 80 dex you lose out on the ability to parry at full ability.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A parry mage has great defense but lacks offense. I made the template work, with the idea of great defense with decent damage output. I use protection from time to time, it is a judgement spell, you use it when you need to. I do not roll around in protection exclusivly however. With the added defense from parry the idea is to not get hit by archers or dexxers, so if you go big combos, as scribe tends to make more potent, mixed with high defense you get kills. Scribe also helps to lessen the penalty for using protection.

I chose anatomy over wrestle because disarm doesn't help me much, I can "Stun Punch" with a spell called paralyze and I would rather have 10 extra SDI. I run a shield and an open hand so that I can't be disarmed and I can chug potions.

Parry mages are usually all about increases, the mana regen is always a must but the higher the mana pool the better, you use str and agil pots with ep to get your stats ok, and since you have an open hand it's not hard to keep your stats up. It's not a temp to really duel with, it's designed to fight disarm archers mostly.

As for the gm resist, I used a +15 ring and the orc brute talismen gives 5 resist and 7 anatomy, so I was 120 resist, but my real skill was gm. 120 resist is a must for pvp.

And as someone said 80 dex is where you get the most out of parry, I think lynk said go to 87 dex to counter curse which is a great idea since you will be cursed by any decent mage. 80 dex and 120 parry is 35% block with a shield.

The changes should make parry mages more effective, 30SDI with great defense is going to **** a lot of people off. But 40 SDI.. mmhmm sounds awesome I can't wait.

Oh I also used the lights rampart shield, it's the replica with 20 dci and like 15 cold resist, it really makes the suit easier and 20 dci is the best available on a shield.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the moment I'm running a template with (+skill items included)
GM Scribe/Parry
80 Med
120 Resist/Eval/Magery
97 Anatomy

My suit totals are 65-75-70-75-70 (w/ magic refl+reactive) LMC40% SDI30% DCI65% HPI30 HPR5 MR18 LRC100% +10 Dex, +17 Int FC2 FCR6 EP50%. Potted + blessed my stats are 150str (150hp) 82dex 142 int (147 mana).

Suit pieces used
Faction SDI Glasses/Orny/Crimmy/Heart of The Lion
Imbued Sleeves/Gloves
Pendant of the Magi
Slither
Imbued Ecru Ring
Spell-Woven Britches
Lt. Sash
Light's Rampart
+2 Int Boots
Conjurer Garb & Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation

I'm working on a wrest-parrymage currently, skills will be
120 Mage/Eval/Resist/Wrest/Parry/Med

Suit pieces will be
Faction DCI Glasses/Ornament/Crimmy
Protector of the Battle Mage
Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings
Imbued Ecru/Sleeves/Gloves
Light's Rampart
Slither
LT. Sash
Pendant
+2 Int Boots
Conj Garb/Shadow Cloak of Rejuv

Pretty much the same kind of suit as my parry-scribemage with the exception of a total MR of 19. I'm still planning if I can be arsed to add HCI to it's arsenal.. 15-30% HCI with 80 dex would make it almost unkillable by a dexer or two... or three.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM Scribe/Parry
80 Med
120 Resist/Eval/Magery
97 Anatomy

My suit totals are 65-75-70-75-70 (w/ magic refl+reactive) LMC40% SDI30% DCI65% HPI30 HPR5 MR18 LRC100% +10 Dex, +17 Int FC2 FCR6 EP50%. Potted + blessed my stats are 150str (150hp) 82dex 142 int (147 mana).

Suit pieces used
Faction SDI Glasses/Orny/Crimmy/Heart of The Lion
Imbued Sleeves/Gloves
Pendant of the Magi
Slither
Imbued Ecru Ring
Spell-Woven Britches
Lt. Sash
Light's Rampart
+2 Int Boots
Conjurer Garb & Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation

I'm working on a wrest-parrymage currently, skills will be
120 Mage/Eval/Resist/Wrest/Parry/Med

Suit pieces will be
Faction DCI Glasses/Ornament/Crimmy
Protector of the Battle Mage
Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings
Imbued Ecru/Sleeves/Gloves
Light's Rampart
Slither
LT. Sash
Pendant
+2 Int Boots
Conj Garb/Shadow Cloak of Rejuv

Pretty much the same kind of suit as my parry-scribemage with the exception of a total MR of 19. I'm still planning if I can be arsed to add HCI to it's arsenal.. 15-30% HCI with 80 dex would make it almost unkillable by a dexer or two... or three.
And shields? what shield do you guys prefer? Well i have a Defender of the magus..I think i will use that one..but not sure

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM Scribe/Parry
80 Med
120 Resist/Eval/Magery
97 Anatomy

How do you get the hpi to 30? I thought it was capped at 25? well i have an imber myself but i still reckon it will be hard to make halfway decent suit with those stats and mods you mentioned here

why would you want to have hci on that suit? for stun punch or paralyze?

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Light's Rampart on both of my characters (DCI20% 4-5-13-3-3 SC no penalty). HPI is indeed capped to 25 - my suit just happens to have 30 (crimmy +10, slither +10, sleeves/gloves +10 total). I'm just too lazy to get new sleeves/gloves imbued with something else (such as HPR or MI) since the current ones fit my suit perfectly.

As for the wrestle-parrymage some HCI would be nice but not necessary since you'll want 80 dex to get the maximum effect from parry. That gives you high enough swing but the HCI would add increased reliability to hitting with your specials.

I'd also like to test out a parry-wrest-scribemage with
120 Parry/Wrest/Eval/Mage/Resist
GM Inscription

The current suit I'm planning would have 19 mana regeneration which would give you 1.39 mana/sec passive regeneration (compared to 2.55 mana/sec with 120 med). It would definitely pack a punch - I just don't know if getting the +10% SDI from inscript is worth 1.16 mana/sec.

Might work in small team fights, in field fights or 1v1's you'd be manastarved pretty fast.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm training to test the following:

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resist
100 Parry
100 Anatomy
60 Skill 1
60 Skill 2
40 Skill 3

- Where Skill 1 is necro, Skill 2 is Med, and Skill 3 is Poisoning.
- Where Skill 1 + 3 are combined for 100 inscription; Skill 2 is Med.
- Where Skill 1 + 3 are combined for 100 inscription; Skill 2 is Necro (and I shove 40 Med on via Skill item).

I realize that the necro on some of the templates will prevent the spell focusing SDI bonus, but want to test its effectiveness with Evil Omen/Poison.

Thoughts?

-OBSIDIAN-

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm training to test the following:

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Resist
100 Parry
100 Anatomy
60 Skill 1
60 Skill 2
40 Skill 3

- Where Skill 1 is necro, Skill 2 is Med, and Skill 3 is Poisoning.
- Where Skill 1 + 3 are combined for 100 inscription; Skill 2 is Med.
- Where Skill 1 + 3 are combined for 100 inscription; Skill 2 is Necro (and I shove 40 Med on via Skill item).

I realize that the necro on some of the templates will prevent the spell focusing SDI bonus, but want to test its effectiveness with Evil Omen/Poison.

Thoughts?

-OBSIDIAN-
you intend to use jewellry to get to 120 Parry. How effective will neco be without SS?
'Well I just finished my parry mage yesterday

She has 120 parry mage eval int resist med and wrestle.. a bit conservative yes :) But I can always change her around a bit..I notice that quite a few want to tweak in inscription..I am just wondering if the 10% SDI bonus is worth the 100 skill points?
the hardest part on my temp was making a suit. Atm her stats are 135hp 72 dex and 130 ish mana..considering the fact that i had to implement for example the SDI and lmc cap on that suit..I am thinking about dropping dex a bit an rely on gd pots

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is this parry mage working out for yall vs the dexers and everyone else with this new release?