• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] Your opinion, what should be done about Colin?

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you who watch the news, you are no dout aware of the baby southern right whale that was abandonded and ended up in an NSW harbour. The decision has now come through to euthinase the whale as it is getting to sick to return to the wild successfully.

My opinion is, we should have acted sooner. I agree that now the best option is to put the animal out of its misery. But i feel it should never have been alowed to get to this state in the first place. When we first became aware of the whale we should have found a way to fed it, and then towed it out when a pod went past and done our best to get another mother to adopt it, as whales do this if a mother is killed.
However the naturalist in me feels otherwise. In the wild mothers abandon their young all the time. Animals have a better sence if there is somthing wrong with any particular animal. We dont know why Colin was abandoned, as far as we know it may have been becuase of some issue that may have turned up later in life.

Either way, we never should have allowed him to suffer for so long. We should have put him down immediatly or made better attempts to save him.

Id like to know how others feel about this terribly sad issue.

A

Amathist of PoC

At first I thought it was very hypercritical of us to want to put the wale down because it was motherless especially given the outrage expressed at Japan (rightfully so). But at that point I did not know the wale was suffering needlessly.

If they can not rehabilitate the wale in any way even via a zoo or even some Marine biology study group then yes do not let it suffer needlessly....wether we acted soon enough or not soon enough I do not know because I have not really heard the full story yet only passing glimpses on the news when I was busy doing something.

K

Katlene

i try not to watch the news cause stuff like this peevs me right off.
seriously as soon as it appeared and was in obvious distress, hoik it up on a truck n take it to a bloody aquarium and make it all better. grr to those idjits 'in charge'

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think no matter what was the 'right' thing to do, it should have been done immediatly. In the line of work im am just in training for now (RSPCA inspectorate) if somone had a pet dog and had allowed it to suffer like that for so long, the fact that they just 'didnt know what to do' wouldnt stop us fining them and prolly sending them to court for a criminal conviction.

A

Amathist of PoC

sadly collin has be euthanized now so it is no longer in debate as to what to do with him. But I agree action should have been taken sooner to try and help him if not end his suffering sooner.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Any of you guys offering to fund the cost of trying to feed the whale and then baby sit it while you try and get another whale to adopt it?

Life in the wild is tough, once it was determined the whale was not going to survive on its own, we should have put it down than let it suffer as long as we did.

Spending tax payers money to save abandoned whales when we have children under 12 on the streets of Sydney that are homeless is as far as I'm concerned not even an argument.

Cheers
Shane

A

Amathist of PoC

I totally agree and expensive task and not one I would push onto tax payers either given as you said our taxes could and should be used to help our way of life including those less fortunate.

But surly there are enough wild life organizations out there or even well wishing celebrities that could be petitioned to help. The main issue would be acting and acting fast not stalling till it is totally too late.

Fact.

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any of you guys offering to fund the cost of trying to feed the whale and then baby sit it while you try and get another whale to adopt it?

Life in the wild is tough, once it was determined the whale was not going to survive on its own, we should have put it down than let it suffer as long as we did.

Spending tax payers money to save abandoned whales when we have children under 12 on the streets of Sydney that are homeless is as far as I'm concerned not even an argument.

Cheers
Shane
Thread over.

F

Fink

It's an issue of 'jurisdiction'.

As it's a wild creature I think it should be left to fend for itself, as intended. If it were abandoned due to human interference, then I'd say there's a case for further involvement to correct the situation, then butt out.

Conversely, I believe animals in human captivity (pets, zoo, research, livestock and captive/endangered breeding stock) should be treated to the full extent of humane care, even and especially when those principles lead to unpopular decisions, such as euthanasia.

*edit*

Seems Colin has been euthanised.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well actualy three diff organizations were blocked from taking action on the whale. I think the moment the government did that they took responsibility for it.

As i said in the OP, i feel that we dont know why the mother abandonded it. Its highly likely that there was somthing wrong in the first place. Im just annoyed it took so long.

Should we have left nature to take its course? Well if it died where it was, would they have left its carcas floating around no dout ending up on a beach somwhere to rot for a few months to feed all sorts? I dout it.

F

Farscape

You are wrong if you interfere and you are also wrong if you do not!
But two wrongs do not make a right same as a glass half full or half empty
It is your choice

S

Septimus

Pet, Elwood, if you have nothing to actually contribute to what is a discussion, then stfu. Show some maturity however hard that me be.

Doesn't place like seaworld and that on the gold coast look after sick marine life? Kinda like australia zoo does, would have thought they would have jumped at the oppertunity. As for wasting taxpayers money we waste a lot whats another couple hundred thousand feeding a whale. We house and feed illegal immigrants, we house and feed criminals of heinous crimes. We play plenty of tax and mr crudd loves his surplus, spend some of that :p