• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*OT* Whats Your Gaming Rig's Spec's?

• Thread starter Blade_Thugluv
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Blade_Thugluv

So i was just reading about of Vista Bashing, Seems like everyone likes to bash Vista and im not sure why, It got me thinking about what type of systems people run. I mayself have 3 different ones i play UO on. So whats the specs of your set up?

~Blade

A

Azazel of LA

So i was just reading about of Vista Bashing, Seems like everyone likes to bash Vista and im not sure why, It got me thinking about what type of systems people run. I mayself have 3 different ones i play UO on. So whats the specs of your set up?

~Blade
Agreed alot of Vista bashers out there. I was going to school for CIT and some of the people in the class were bashing Vista and NEVER EVEN USED IT. I myself on the other hand have it on 2 of my 4 computers and have no problem with it at all. I think some people are just scared of change!

Now I will just list my specs of my main cpu I use.

2.1 Dual core AMD 64 bit
3 Gigs of Ram
580 gigs of SATA Hard Disk
20X DVD Lightscribe SATA Burner
Vista Home Prem. 64bit
512 DDR3 Video Card (plan on getting a 2nd one to set up crossfire again)

T

T_Amon_from_work

~Blade
Mine is a home-brew unit about 4 years old or more ...

Antec mid-tower case - 400 watt PS
Asus A7N266-VM/AA mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.9ghz??)
512 MB DDR RAM
ATi Radeon 9000 Pro AGP 4x vidcard (128MB vidram)
Western Digital 320GB HD - primary
WD 80GB HD - secondary
LiteOn LTR-52246S CD/RW
LiteOn LH-20A1H DVD/RW + CD/RW combo
Viewsonic VA1703WB 17" widescreen monitor
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech Optical Wheelmouse

Windows XP/SP2 (soon to SP3)
ZoneAlarm (free) running all the time

Connection is broadband via router

Like I said ... somehwat dated, but serviceable. And this is used for remoting into my office when I need to as well.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well from my work experience of Vista is that it takes a bit to customize it to be familiar to users, it handles profiles differently and there are issues with legacy drivers / applications. Other than that I’ve had no real problems using it myself.

My Two main towers are fairly low end – P4 3.2, 2 Gig Ram, 512 Video, DVD Burners, Win XP Pro. One has 2x 80 gig drives and other has an 160 and 200 gig drives (not including external storage) which is mostly for torrents / ripping. I run them through a KVM to a wireless keyboard and laser mouse, also they are set up so I can dual screen with my 19 inch lcd monitor and the 32 inch TV. Also I just bought last week a new laptop Core2Duo 2.0GHz,3GB DDR2, 250 gig hd, DVD burner, Vista home prem. This doesn’t include any of my older systems or work provided ones.

And I just happen to have pics of my set up cause we talked about this sort of thing at work a couple months ago (that’s what kind of things you talk about when you work in IT), the laptop shown is my old one (sold it to pay for new one).

B

Blade_Thugluv

PC 1:

Windows XP Pro
Pent 4 2.8Ghz
1GB 400Mhz RAM
500GB 16MB Cache IDE Hard Drive
ATI Radeon x1350 (dont remember specs think it was 128MB)
350w thermaltake Power Supply
Sound Blaster Live Sound Card.
3 1/2 floppy drive (Genric)
48x CD Burner (LG)
DVD Player (genric)
genric old pc case.

laptop:

Windows Vista 64Bit
Intel Dual Core 1.73Ghz
3GB Ram
320GB Hardrive
ATI Radeon x1400 Video Card

Nothing super fance but it works.

PC 2: (Main PC i use)

Windows Vista Premium 64Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz 12MB L2 Cache 1333Mhz
5.5TB Storage (5 1TB Seagate Barracuda 32MB Cache Sata, 1 500GB Seagate Barracuda 16MB Cache Sata)
8GB 800Mhz DDR2 OCZ RAM
3 LG 18x LIght Scribe DVD Burners (had 4 1 died ..hate lightscribe so bad when bulbs burn out )
Genric Multicard reader
3 1/2 inch floppy drive (dont laugh)
onboard sound (crys)
1200W Thermaltake Power Supply
2 Gigabite Radeon HD 3870's 512MB GDDR4 (Crossfired)
Netgear Wireless card (*crys* i hate it getting better card next week)
ATX Acrylic Tower
3 80mm Neon Blue LED Fans (hated the rainbow ones that came with case)
Monitors: (your gonna laugh)
19inch Dell M782 (CRT)
19 inch Emachines eView 17f3 (CRT)

things i want to do to PC 2:

i want to get 2 Gigabite Radeon HD 4870's

i Want to add a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

As soon as the Core 2 Extreme come down in price i want to replace my quad core

Want to get 3 LCD monitors

replace my Powersupply with one that has Neon lights.

all this will have to wait till after i mod my car and get more money.

As for PC 1 im leaving as is no use in updating a dated pc.

i also have a number of other pc's that range from Pent1-Pent4 and different specs. Last i counted i had 23 PC's (thats just towers not monitors keyboards and mouse. i have about 7 keyboards 13 mice and 3 monitors.) and yes i know that pent1-pent 4 are dated.

~Blade

*Edited to add the text below*

Most of whats in my main PC is OEM and was bought from local Computer repair shops to save a ton of money. If you are planning on building your own pc the best way to do it is buy OEM stuff from PC Shops not walmart or best buy. OEM normally are only in antistatic bags that are sealed but no instruction manual or box like you would get if you bought at walmart bestbuy ext. However the upside is this.. when i bought my 18x LG Light Scribe DVD Burner Drives to buy from store would have cost me $97 However buying OEM from pc store it cost me $35 (that was after my 10% student discount). Same thing with vista when i bought vista it was like $300 for full ver in stores yet OEM cost me 125 for a full Premium ver.

You might be asking what OEM is OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.
So if you want to save cash when building a pc ask your local repair shops for OEM Hardrives OEM OS's, OEM Burners or DVD/CD Readers. as for RAM, Video Cards, Power Supplys, Motherboards, CPU's, and sound cards.. Repair shops will normally have better upto date stuff then stores and sometimes are cheaper to. Also Newegg.com is a good place to buy stuff and they also sell OEM.

B

Blade_Thugluv

Hey Tek i have the same TV stand you do but mine is Black instead of brown however i never use it anymore lol. also love your set up but can i have the apple pc to blow up?

~Blade

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah the TV stand is cheap crap, good enough for now. The Mac is a old Powermac G4 I got free from work, its been there 6 months or so and I haven’t turned it on once. My GF is the Mac user she has a newer Macbook Pro of some sort. If you lived anywhere near me I’d get you one from work to destroy.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For game playing, UO now, was EQ.

I have two dedicated boxes. Meaning that is all they run, mostly, on Fridays I do a System Integrity check that takes about 2 hours and then 2 hours of backup/verify.

Both Boxes are identical (mostly)

Pentium 3.2GHZ
2GB Ram
GForce 6200 256MB DDR2 Ram | GForce 6200 128MB DDR2 Ram
300GB SATA Drive
2GB 150X SD drive (for paging) (= 20MB per second Read / 15MB per second write (B = Bytes b=Bits)).
Logitech G15 Keyboard

22" Wide Screen Samsung LCD. | 21.6" Wide Screen Samsung LCD.

All thse computers are for is Playing MMORPG(s).

OS = XP Pro SP3

Most every thing was bought from TigerDirect.com the two Monitors were bought from COSTCO.

W

Wraith One

Vista isn't all that bad. the only problem with vista is it can't run on older systems that XP can. Vista requires a lot more RAM to support its added processes. I would not suggest trying to run Vista on 512 RAM, it doesn't work too well. If your going to use Vista at least 2 gig RAM will do, 4 is better, but 2 will allow for the extra processes to run properly. Vista also offers features that no other Windows OS does. You can actually link your computers together now via a network usb cable that has a built on bridge. It also allows you to add temporary RAM through a USB port, I wouldn't suggest this for permanent use. On-board RAM generally runs faster than the USB. USB speeds are only 10-100 Mbps, whereas RAM can run up to 1ghz now provided the card you use supports that speed. The only thing I don't like about vista ( I currently use it on my laptop) is that it shrinks my game window. The window expanded in full screen the actual gaming part takes up less than half the screen. UO doesn't support higher than 800x600 resolution. I currently run on 1240x800 res.

My specs:
1.73 Ghz intel celerion
2 gig RAM running at 600Mhz
80 gig HD
built on-board 64 mb video card

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that resolution issue in both 2D and KR? I only run 2D on the towers and havent loaded UO on my new laptop yet which is Vista.

D

Desolation87

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but what I do know is that Angelina Jolie is HOT! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what you guys are talking about, but what I do know is that Angelina Jolie is HOT! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:

I almost too embarassed to say my systme however I have a very basic compaq computer I bought from Best Buy back in june.it has an intle dual core pentium prcoessor 1.80 ghz wiht 320 gig HD.I have built in video and sounds card for now with 1 gig ram.I am just wondering if I can add a new vid or card and if soo what kind?

I run uo just fine with this thing,I did play uo with my old p2 for 4 years and it wore down,the only problem I have playing uo right now is with my isp,it is a wireless provider and my latency sukcs mostl so I am going back to cable soon and hopefully I can finally play uo to my chars fullest potential.

But with all that being said. ANGIE JOLIE IS SOO HOT!!!!! and brad pitt is one lucky man.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
damn Raider I thought u were abducted by aliens or something

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raider,

If your running UO just fine with the built in Video and Sound, I would leave well enough alone and spend your money on other things.

The rate of evolution of Video Cards is so high, it is almost guaranteed what ever you buy, no matter how high end it is, will be obsolete before you get it put into your computer.

Having said that, I think you said you just purchased it new from Best Buy. I assume it has a PCI-X16 slot.

I have been a 3DFX/NVIDIA fan.

I run the NVIDIA 6200 card on my 2 computers . I would think the PCI-X version of those cards would be under $40 for a 256MB ddr2 board. I believe that card would exceed the specifications of the UO 2 Client(s).

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raider,

If your running UO just fine with the built in Video and Sound, I would leave well enough alone and spend your money on other things.

The rate of evolution of Video Cards is so high, it is almost guaranteed what ever you buy, no matter how high end it is, will be obsolete before you get it put into your computer.

Having said that, I think you said you just purchased it new from Best Buy. I assume it has a PCI-X16 slot.

I run the NVIDIA 6200 card on my 2 computers . I would think the PCI-X version of those cards would be under $40 for a 256MB ddr2 board. I believe that card would exceed the specifications of the UO 2 Client(s).
thanks for the input,Yeah It is a brand new one(3 month old now) and i run uo fine but I wanted to play cod4 and my built in video card won't run it.So I am going to try and get one of those forty dollar cards ext payay and try it.My old computer had the viper770 vid card that uses nvidia software and I loved it soo much that it was the only vid card I had for my system,so I am happy to be sticking with a vid card I know and love.

Don't get me wrong I love to play UO and will do so until they pulls the keyboard from my cold dead hands,but I still lie playing other games too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's my UO gaming rig....

Armed4Fun

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi EnigmaMaitreya,
could you icq me 271-125-598, or type here on how i can upgrade my xp pro to sp3 please? thanks, stryder

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi EnigmaMaitreya,
could you icq me 271-125-598, or type here on how i can upgrade my xp pro to sp3 please? thanks, stryder
Your wanting to upgrade to SP3?

I assume you already have XP installed.

Do you know if you have SP2 installed? (Can be found out by Start Button, then Right Click My Computer)

You can also go here and follow Microsoft's instructions.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Mostly try to use the link to the Windows Update they have on that page.

If you have problems, just reply back to this thread.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raider,

WOW you're a smart person.I looked on my computers manufacturer's website and it list my video card slot as:pci express x16. hehe.DO you have any sugestion as to a trstworthy site to buy from? thanks for your help.

I found this card,do you think it would be a good fit?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3636578&CatId=1560

B

Blade_Thugluv

The specs and the price seem to be great.

Tiger Direct has always been good to me so .....

Price yea but honestly i would buy it from newegg.com and spend $10-$20 more for a better Board. I wont go into the trouble i have had with Tigerdirect cuz maybe they have changed in the last 6 years i dont know. Personally i would get a Gigabyte or ASUS or even EVGA. Gigabyte would be the best choice IMO.

~Blade

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Price yea but honestly i would buy it from newegg.com and spend $10-$20 more for a better Board. I wont go into the trouble i have had with Tigerdirect cuz maybe they have changed in the last 6 years i dont know. Personally i would get a Gigabyte or ASUS or even EVGA. Gigabyte would be the best choice IMO.

~Blade
*Shrug*

I have bought a couple things through them that have had problems or wasn't as advertised. They have never shown any reluctance or isssue with returning them or replacing them.

I was going to say, I did not recognize that board manufacturer .... my problem is I do not know just how relevant that may be in the case of a NVIDIA chip set based card.

I mean $30 for that card is (my op[inion) dirt cheap, I would have considered anything up to $50 for it. So yeah, me personally, I would have looked to see if there was a Manufacturer I had history with in that list.