• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT - OK - who got shook by the quake?

I

imported_Desolation87

Lol, vibrated....

Did you check to make sure it wasn't a volcano? This film I saw like years ago, they had an earthquake. Well, thats what they thought!! It was actually a volcano and loads of poeple died. And the volcano was really cool and lava everywhere... And people going ahh its actually a volcano. They won't miss that volcano next time that happens. That was a big volcano.

I think the film was called, The earthquake that never was.

>.<

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, I think it was called "Volcano" starring Tommy Lee Jones & Anne Heche - and it was on American Movie Classics last night.....

But, seriously....

down here in southeastern KY, I heard a little bit of a rattle elsewhere in the house around that time (I was too busy filling BODs to notice anything much), but I thought it was either someone getting out of bed to use the bathroom, or maybe that mouse we've been trying to get rid of in the kitchen.

I have, however, been woke up by a 4.something much closer before, on several occasions (within 50 miles of where I was sleeping).

I personally find the events off Oregon to be a bit more interesting (volcano-type earthquake swarms in an ocean floor area not known to have volcanos - the nature of the plate boundries tend to have the volcanos fairly inland there)

I

imported_Desolation87

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, I think it was called "Volcano" starring Tommy Lee Jones &amp; Anne Heche - and it was on American Movie Classics last night.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, not a Simpsons fan huh?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
don't get to watch it much anymore - I play too much UO (plus I play D&amp;D on the nights it's on).

And IIRC the Simpsons episode was a spoof of the movie.

I

imported_Desolation87

No there was an episode once, where Homer says (forgive me die-hard fans if I get this wrong) "I got the idea from a movie about a bus whos SPEED, couldn't fall below a certain SPEED, and if the SPEED, fell below a certain SPEED the bus would blow up. I think it was called the bus that couldn't slow down..."

Heh, the episode was on while I read the post....

I

imported_lindylou

All of you who don't live on the West Coast don't know what earthquakes are really like! I lived through many (Sylmar, Whittier Narrows, Northridge, Tehachappi Quakes, etc.) when I lived in Southern California. What happened yesterday was just a little teaser. There are fault lines in every state but most don't produce quakes that are felt that often. Every so often they get frisky though.

G

This was a 5.4 in S. Illinois ... and felt from Chicago to N Louisiana if tales are true. Detection of it was a much wider area, natch. That's big for the Midwest.

N

Noie

Nah, the Illinois one was much more interesting than the ones we're having out here in Oregon, even if we have had about 700. At least they get to feel theirs...

I

imported_lindylou

Yeah, aren't we having the freakiest quakes, Kali? It's rather ominous if I do say so. Cluster quakes or what are they calling them? Shadow quakes? I forget now but there sure have been tons of them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing to consider, though - The Illinois quake is probably use part of the same old stuff. The Oregon quakes might be presaging a volcano rising out of the water off the coast.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was in Indy for a three week "school" for work. I was heading into the school at 5:30 am (started at 6) and the earthquake happened at like 5:35-5:40 range. I initially thought the shaking was just their rough roads up there until I saw the utility poles shaking. Was a little wierd for this Georgia native, no shaking round here except for when the little woman and I are going at it

There were a couple of people that were still in the flea bag hotel they had put us up in for the training. They said the hotel was shaking pretty bad stuff falling off the tables and the like. Then again a car could backfire and the concussion from the backfire would cause that raggedy place to shake.

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I live in North Central IN (2 hrs North of Indy - basically in the middle between Indy and the northern IN border), you know what I was doing during the quake??

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ........."

We were having some UFO activity in a nearby town recently, I think we got that one figured out though (it's by an Air Force Base, lol)

But ya we don't have Earthquakes here. I remember being a kid and felt a tremor from one on the west coast, freaked me out so bad. And that was just a tremor. I think I'm glad I wasn't awake yet, was still kinda freaked out about all the past UFO activity I've been finding in IN in the past handful of years...(and recently..)

Oh ya, it was 5.2

I

imported_Lustig Als'Holle

UFO activity in Indiana...Now THAT explains Larry Bird!!!

As for the actual topic, I too was sleeping when the shaking took place. But I did wake up at like 5:20 or so, looked at the clock, saw I didn't have to get up yet, and rolled back over to resume my comatose state. I don't know if I was woken by the quake, but it would seem kinda fitting that it would take an earthquke to wake me (and I'd still just go back to sleep during it...real life story to that, but I'm not in the mood to type it, but it involves co-workers coming to my home to make sure I was still alive because of not being able to wake me with phone calls, etc)...

I

imported_Tamais

That would just be my luck. I start planning to move to Oregon and it goes boom.
Might as well stay in AZ nice and safe except for our Phoenix lights.