• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

OT- Montreal

G

No Americans are really "tourists" in Montreal.

Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city, much like New York and New Orleans. In fact, if you will find sections of Montreal where, if you speak French, you will get the "deer in the headlights" look and will have to switch to English.

This is just a FYI however... no posts here or gone influenced this post whatsoever.

P

pellaeon99

Pretty weird how Dor just posted that and then pulled it.

You sure thats coffee 'ur drinkin?

G

Subtle is as subtle does... one does not have to be drinking coffee...

Coffee is good though.

G

Dor is cool in my books though... Snapping that hike post back to the back end of yesterday was a hilarious thing to do, regardless of what people said.

D

Dor of Sonoma

*grins*

Well, I...err, it's a long story, really. But aye, you are right. It's just that my friends there were French, for the most part, and they owned a shop that I would help out in, and it was very embarrassing (to me), when tourists would enter the shop and hear us conversing amongst ourselves in French; they would stare at us as if we were a buncha ignorant mules and SPEAK VERY LOUDLY AND RUDELY...It just made me more determined to improve my French, being the perverse soul that I am. :)

But then again, my French didn't gain me any kudos in the Greek section, so, whatever. *grins*

P

pellaeon99

yeah, i like dor, and for that matter most of the mods and admins. They, sometimes, are the only ones who will answer a gameplay question that I have, while other people give me great answers to questions that I dont ask.

G

That's how I lost my French accent in English, by my English friends making fun of me...

Like I was about to post, there are many French-Canadian dumbasses, but they are many who will appreciate you trying to learn their language. (Actually, I'm probably offending many Quebec residents now by referring to them as French-Canadians... well!)

G

But supposedly Montreal is the second largest french speaking city in the world.

I have only passed threw it twice, never stopped. The Traffic at the tunnel is insane at rush hour.

And yes its really funny when Americans come to Canada and talk really loudly and slowly so we can understand them,

I have lots of fun just saying "eh?" after they do that.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Oh, definitely!

I had taken four years of Parisian French, before I headed up to Canada...pfft, what a waste of time! "Dis donc, ou est la bibliotheque?" Hahahaha *laughs* I did have the great, good fortune to travel the breadth of the country (hitchhiking from Vancouver to Montreal) with a French-Canadian couple (Francine et Francois, heh) who were kind enough to not laugh at me VERY much, and patiently corrected me for 3,000+ miles.

And I had the same reception from any French-speakers I met. They all respected and encouraged my attempts, once they understood that I was serious about it. I met some snots, aye...but not in that regard. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Most of us know better and avoid the Hypollite-Lafontaine tunnel.

G

*fires a bunch of tennis balls at baraka66*

Was stuck there for almost 3 hours heading to Ontario.

G

hehe

Well Parisian French and Canadian French are way way different(as you found out).
I can barely speak any Canadian French let alone any Parisian. So consider yourself lucky now you speak 3 Languages(plus any others you have not posted).
I speak English, I use to speak French, Japanese(not too much, just the basics), German and some Spanish.

But I have drank all those away, now I can barely speak english. Been wanting to relearn French and Japanese though.
I stopped learning all but french and english after grade 2, stopped learning french after grade 9.