• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) How did you feel about the new Star Trek movie?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not have any Trekkie friends in real life, so I am wondering how you liked it? I will admit I put off seeing it for a long time because I was afraid I'd be pissed off at it.

I'm SO glad they decided to use a different timeline, and they did do a decent job of pulling that off. I did hate the 'humor' they put in (a bit over the top a few times) and the battles were too flashy for me (old school I guess). A big problem I have is if they are dealing with a different timeline and all of that, couldn't they have worked with Kirk being killed on Veridian III and let us see James T. Kirk on the big screen for probably the last time ever?!

Oh, and why did Hikaru Sulu have a Katana, and they did a poor job (IMHO) of explaining the relationship between Kirk and Bones... okay okay, I'll stop nitpicking.

So my final thought is all in all it was an enjoyable flick. It could have been worse, and I will admit when you see the back of Spock and realize it's him, it was a bit powerful.

I do hope this gives us a chance to reach a new generation of Star Trek fans, and maybe, just maybe produce a new series that will redeem itself from Enterprise!

Sorry for my vent, just had to get that out :)

Grading it based on it being a Star Trek film? I'd say a D-

Grading it with the thought in mind they were trying to reach a new generation, I'd have to give it a flat B

So what about you?

Trageon

Adventurer
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
over all i thought the movie did well on defining the "characters" it was set in an alternate universe so any relation to the original time-line and history did not apply. An original time-line and history would have been great and that is what i think most people thought they would be seeing. I too was somewhat disappointed when it turned out to be an alternate universe. Hopefully in the next film (if it isn't to late) they will give us something that is more of a history to the original series. I will continue to play the MMO and be a "Trekkie" until i am beamed home...

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I definitely liked the Star Trek movie. Given this film was a franchise reboot... they pulled it off well.

• Plot - B
  • Casting - A
  • Acting - B+
  • Dialog - A-
  • Humor - A-
  • Direction - C
  • Editing - A+
  • Sound - A+
  • CGI - A-
Overall... a solid B+, maybe an A-. The big downer for me was the director JJ Abrams, very talented and creative director... but even for a Star Trek film he couldn't break his habit of the "I do it for realism" camera shake (even though he did less of it for this film than usual, the gimmick has gotten old for my tastes).

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was entertaining that's for sure. I guess a B or B+. It's hard build the relationships in just 2 hours, whereas in a TV series, they have a lot of time to develop and explore them.

The katana? Some hand to hand martial arts might have been more realistic.

L

lance23

Very entertaining. Star Trek has a lot of humor but very serious in its premise. No wonder why it became a blockbuster hit.

Trageon

Adventurer
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the Star Trek writers added humor to show the "human" side of Earthers in space. humor is also part of how we deal with complicated subjects or stressful situations. Something as common as a fender bender where your first reaction might be to say, oh great! that in itself is contradictory to what you are really feeling but helps to release stress and relax the situation.