• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OT] Age of Conan

• Thread starter UOPODCASTING.COM
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Any one from OCeania playing Age of Conan?

If so what server as I have the client downloading as I post this?

Cheers
Shane

A

Azureal

If so what server as I have the client downloading as I post this?

Cheers
Shane
Theres a guild I was part of during the beta, 100+ Aussie guys and gals, theyre playing on the official Oceania server, cant remember the name though.

Youll really enjoy AoC if you can appreciate...

...really small rooms connected by really small corridors that lead you further on into a "world" you can only explore really small amounts of at any one given time. These corridors are also one way, as you have little rerason to ever return a second time. AoC's catch phrase should be:

Think WoW. Think DAoC. Think Level-Based. With Nipples.

S

stumpy

I have wanted to play AoC, just wondering overall if it would be worth it. I dunno if it would work on my laptop anyway lol

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad thing that i heartd tho is it takes 32g of memory for the game.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Bad thing that i heartd tho is it takes 32g of memory for the game.
32 gig of memory, if only my 32bit PC had the ability to address that much memory.

I think you mean hard disk and it sits at about 25gig.

The client download which is the option I went is 15gig and after 20 hours is still only 60% down.

Well at least they have Free For All Open PvP servers. Oh I cant wait to be a newbie that gets ganked every 5 minutes :))

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When your all set and playing, can you post some screenies? Ive heard good things about that game. However id need a proper PC, not my laptop im guessing.

D

Dain

Bloodspire is the sever the majority of oceania player's are on.

I'm not sure if that's the official oceania server or not.

AoC is an AWESOME game, the combat is extremely detailed, leveling is very fast and the game is all about the battles and games at the end. Crafting is pretty cool and it's having a pretty good launch.

Housing, city building, siege weapons and guild warfare are the main aspects of the game. To give you a hint of how easy leveling is, the game is 3 weeks old and my guild (a guild i have played loads of MMO's with for the past 6-7 years) has about 14 lvl 80's (max level).

Only reason im not playing heaps is cos dad is on it constantly lol

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

When your all set and playing, can you post some screenies? Ive heard good things about that game. However id need a proper PC, not my laptop im guessing.
Will do, I have a decent rig so should be able to run it at high res.

Bloodsphire is the server I will be starting on if this dam download ever finishes.

Am using the time to bank all my **** in UO so I can pack up my houses and close UO down.

Just need pub 53 to hit so I can trade all my **** I have been storing for 10 years in. Then I think UO will be over for me finally. I cant see me coming back because Oceania doesn't have the population and I wont play a yank shard due to ping.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

I just wish EA would make a new UO with same gameplay, so it would actually have a player base.
Its never going to happen. Just look at the abortion called KR and you will realise that the UO that most PvPers love is a thing of the past.

AoC is not yet a month since launch and from what I have heard its not the most brilliant, however its a blood good base to start from.

S

Sneaky

A few of OMG are playing it now a fair bit of the time; Dragod, Taylor, Gobble, Gasket etc...

From what I have heard (and watching the trailer) its like WoW except with (much) better graphics and is more PvP orientated.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Well I finally got into game and have to say so far its been great.

First open PvP area I was in I was ganked several times by someone 5 levels above me. After they got bored they moved on. Man I have forgotten what its liked to be a newbie and get continually griefed by some ****er.

It reminded me of the days in UO when reds sat just outside of say Vesper and ganked you as you headed to Corvetous or somewhere like that.

However I have the say the game is gorgous and thank god I have a decent PC to view it in all its splendor. I like the combat system and think it has alot of potential.

Death at this stage (Im level 8) appears to have no impact as far as I can see, other than to send you back to your res point.

PvP deaths also appear to have no penalty other than the inconvienance of being killed, which when your trying to complete a quest can become a pain. Especially when the mentally challenge sit at the res point and just keep killing you.

Leveling seems has come easy, however I am only level 8 and therefore dont expect it to be challenging just yet.

Anyway, back to being ganked while I try and collect some gems at White Sands.

S

Sneaky

Bloodspire ... that for pvp or pve?
PVE? Person vs Enviroment?
Yes. In UO Tram would be their equivalent of a PvE server (PvM etc), although there is a lot of PvE in Fel too. The main difference being that we only have to walk through a moongate to change from PvE to PvP whilst most of those games (WoW etc) have completely different servers for PvM and PvP.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

It makes you realise that being able to afk macro every aspect of your chars in UO is such a great thing, and the pvp system is far more dynamic than keys 1 to 9 without even getting disrupted.
No one will ever dispute the fact that UO PvP was the best ever in a MMORPG.

My limited experience with AoC PvP and I do say limited, I have 4 kills, it appears to offer that if you mash your buttons and use your combos and shields more effectively you can be better than the average button masher.

Being able to macro unattended in UO is one of the only reasons I kept going back to it, I didnt need to spend countless hours grinding. Man I had scripts that used to log my character in when the servers went down and continue macroing.

I even started a project that would completely automate the building of characters. As long as the resources required were in the bank, the script would build all seven skills.

I only got halfway to completing it when soulstones arrived and therefore it wasnt really needed.

A

Azureal

Being able to macro unattended in UO is one of the only reasons I kept going back to it, I didnt need to spend countless hours grinding. Man I had scripts that used to log my character in when the servers went down and continue macroing.

I even started a project that would completely automate the building of characters. As long as the resources required were in the bank, the script would build all seven skills.

I only got halfway to completing it when soulstones arrived and therefore it wasnt really needed.
Wow. I hope AoC works out for you. Admittance of unattended macroing and script building....totally awesome.

/boggle

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Wow. I hope AoC works out for you. Admittance of unattended macroing and script building....totally awesome.

/boggle
Its not the first time, I have said it a number of times through the podcasts I made.

I just never used scripts for PvP or Gold Farming. I used them for training only.

You would be surprised the number of people that use scripts of some sort.

D

Deano

Already quit the game. A short summary of my experience on Hyperborea (Oceania Recommended) RP-PVP server.

-Funcom downloader locked at 50 kbps meant I paid $5 for early access but was unable to participate because the download did not finish till after release.

-Still cannot claim one of my pre-order items, Funcom has not replied to a single call for help in nearly 3 weeks.

-None of the patches have fixed my out of memory, assertion failure or random crashes. I crash every 30 minutes. Minimising freezes my PC. My system specs smash the recommended for the game.

-Extreme amounts of downtime during Aussie peak time have meant 12 out of 30 (so far) days have been unplayable. THey have now scheduled 2 days of this per week claiming it will not impact anyone's peak time. In addition to this, the Oceania recommended servers are ot actually labled so in-game.

Besides the above technical issues which make the game practically unplayable (I've been able to log 15 hours roughly with all the crashing), it wasn't too bad.

The combat system was great. It's far more intelligent than the typical auto-attack (it wasn't a problem with UO but it was for just about every other MMO that followed). It makes fights a little more interesting. However at higher levels with a focus on lots of abilities, it starts to feel like the old auto-attack button mashers again. Where I focus on my hotbar rather than the gameplay.

The starting area is EXTREMELY linear. It's a very heavy story based element that really destroys any sense of being in an MMO. It starts to improve once out of the starting zone, but it's still the same Everquest style questing/leveling/combat only gameplay.

Besdies player cities, there is very little social interaction. I don't feel the same sense of community as UO and the virtual world immersion is just not htere. THis is a typical action RPG.

Content vanishes at level 50. Same thing that happened to Tabula Rasa. Cost a lot of subscribers.

Quite frankly I'm sure if I could play it I could post something positive, but between the downtime and the poor technical performance, I just can't endorse this game. Doesn't really mean anything, all I can recommend is try it yourself. But for those looking for something true to UO, this isn't it. Whether that is a bad thing is up to you.

Personally I'll not touch any more MMOs without local support. After the disgusting service I'm receiving here, I'm now sticking with UO's Oceania server (when I get back) and Warhammer Online's upcoming serer for Australia. We deserve better.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Funcom downloader locked at 50 kbps meant I paid $5 for early access but was unable to participate because the download did not finish till after release.
Yeah I had this experience, the downloader started off at 500k and slowly trcikled back to 50k It took me two and a half days to download.

-None of the patches have fixed my out of memory, assertion failure or random crashes. I crash every 30 minutes. Minimising freezes my PC. My system specs smash the recommended for the game.
I havent had this experience, in fact I have been impressed with the quality of the client in that behaves exceptionally well on my machine. I can switch between the client and the OS without issues and I have had 3-4 hour gaming sessions without serious issue.

I have noticed the client does have an issue in that after several hours play my character appeared to not have any armour. When I zoned it fixed itself.

But thats been the only issue so far.

-Extreme amounts of downtime during Aussie peak time have meant 12 out of 30 (so far) days have been unplayable. THey have now scheduled 2 days of this per week claiming it will not impact anyone's peak time. In addition to this, the Oceania recommended servers are ot actually labled so in-game.
I guess there is pros and cons to this, some other popular MMO's didn't bother fixing things in a fast and timely manner at launch and therefore suffered from it. I see the downtime at this stage as Funcom working as quickly as they can to fix issues and help flesh out the areas of the game that are lacking.

The combat system was great. It's far more intelligent than the typical auto-attack (it wasn't a problem with UO but it was for just about every other MMO that followed). It makes fights a little more interesting. However at higher levels with a focus on lots of abilities, it starts to feel like the old auto-attack button mashers again. Where I focus on my hotbar rather than the gameplay.
The combat system in theory has a lot of potential on paper. What I want to know is that not only using your combos effectively for offense, does using your shields effectively for defense increase the gap between good PvPers and the average button masher?

The starting area is EXTREMELY linear. It's a very heavy story based element that really destroys any sense of being in an MMO. It starts to improve once out of the starting zone, but it's still the same Everquest style questing/leveling/combat only gameplay.
I noticed this, but I also noticed that I can get into PvP very quickly as well, first five minutes at White Sands and I was attempted to be ganked by some dude. It was a good experience for a second as I killed him, then his mate 5 levels higher than me ran over and nailed me. They then proceeded to do this for the next 10 minutes until they became bored and moved on.

Ill give AoC another couple months and see how it and Funcom progress in fleshing the game out. The games less than a month from the public launch, lets hope the potential of the license is realised.

I like the fact that they have an M rating and therefore NPC's are not afraid to tell me they will shove a sword up my a r s e or when I kill them theres blood and gore everywhere :gun:

S

Sneaky

I like the fact that they have an M rating and therefore NPC's are not afraid to tell me they will shove a sword up my a r s e or when I kill them theres blood and gore everywhere
Yeh, this is one of the worst things ever done to UO, taking it from an M to 'Teen' rating... one of those 'EA management' decisions that just sucked for the game, its right up there with the worst of them (however Trammel still takes the cake). The bounty system owned :(

A

Azureal

Much like Vanguard, this game was far too full of high expectations as a "mature, next gen MMO" and during beta it was nothing but junk. repeated calls for major bug fixes went unheard from around the 60 day (till Gold) mark and in the end I just had enough and gave my beta account away.

Yep, hardcore PvP-I-Gotta-Prove-My-Worth-From-Behind-A-Keyboard types will love it. Theyll sit around claiming/denying who has the bigger e-peen till theyre blue in the face.

Meanwhile Funcom will wonder WTF they should do 3 months from now when subs slow to a trickle.

Oh, and no content after 50 doesnt surprise me one bit. There was none from the start, the Devs were too busy coding in sailors having a leak and nipples.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So can we get some screenies pls? :postpics::please:

and ofcourse please explain what we're looking at in the pics.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Much like Vanguard, this game was far too full of high expectations as a "mature, next gen MMO" and during beta it was nothing but junk. repeated calls for major bug fixes went unheard from around the 60 day (till Gold) mark and in the end I just had enough and gave my beta account away.

Yep, hardcore PvP-I-Gotta-Prove-My-Worth-From-Behind-A-Keyboard types will love it. Theyll sit around claiming/denying who has the bigger e-peen till theyre blue in the face.

Meanwhile Funcom will wonder WTF they should do 3 months from now when subs slow to a trickle.

Oh, and no content after 50 doesnt surprise me one bit. There was none from the start, the Devs were too busy coding in sailors having a leak and nipples.
Ill borrow money and bet you are wrong.

People that expect the game to compare to WOW on launch have unreal expectations and therefore are understandably frustrated.

I played Anarchy Online when Funcom released that and that game was doomed from the onset. Age of Conan to me is 100% more polished than AO and the rate of changes and fixes Funcom are making says to me they learnt some valuable lessons.

Those that are frustrated about content and the bugs should consider closing their accounts and coming back in 6 months. The game will be fleshed out a lot more then.

Complaining the games not fleshed out on release shows you have either no understanding of how these games are developed or you have never learnt anything from all the previous MMMO releases.

Deano: The problems I think you are seeing are more than likely your end. I dont mean your hardware isn't specced, more than likely you are having a driver issue. You didn't mention you how much RAM you have. If its 2 gig then I heard under Vista this would not be helping.

The forums are not full of people screaming about the client crashing like the way you are, only a small percentage when you consider the number of units sold and then take a reasonable guess at how many of those are playing the game.

Me personally I have the client runs like a dream and has not given me any issue bar once. I am running it at the highest settings.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

So can we get some screenies pls? :postpics::please:

and ofcourse please explain what we're looking at in the pics.
Here you go, here a site that shows AoC videos.

http://aocmovies.com/movieview.php?id=341 This video shows a Duel Welding Barbarian in PvP.

Click AOC HQ Stream to see it streamed.

To see the video without it stopping every two seconds, let it play, walk away and come back and play it again once its played once and downloaded.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Coolies! Its downloading now. Gunna go watch my parents cut down a 100ft cyprus tree, ill be back after the carnage! woo!

D

Deano

Deano: The problems I think you are seeing are more than likely your end. I dont mean your hardware isn't specced, more than likely you are having a driver issue. You didn't mention you how much RAM you have. If its 2 gig then I heard under Vista this would not be helping.
Not a chance. Because as I said I have another PC with teh same specs with a different video card, different operating system, different model RAM and different power supply and it still has the VRAM, RAM and pagefile memory leaks.

I also mentioned that I have 2 Gb of RAM and can take the rest from the other system, doubling it to 4 Gb and it still suffers extreme memory leaks. All that does is double/triple the time between out of memory crashes.

It is not a driver issue also. As I said I've formatted my PC, tried otehr operating systems and all drivers are up to date and I have NO issues with any other game.

I've been contactign technical support and posting on the official forums. There is a sticky there for the VRAM leak. So far the only thing that helped slightly with performance was to lower all the visual details to medium. But that's not a solution, that's an unacceptable concession.

The forums are not full of people screaming about the client crashing like the way you are, only a small percentage when you consider the number of units sold and then take a reasonable guess at how many of those are playing the game.
But it's no suprise that the small percentage that are expressing themselves on the forums (keep in mind, no-where near hte amount sold will ever visit the forums) all have extremely high-end systems.

What also is suprising is that the 8 series GeForce cards are out performing 9 series. Sometimes cards which have a 30-40% increase in performance.

My entire guild has left the game due to the memory leaks.

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

But it's no suprise that the small percentage that are expressing themselves on the forums (keep in mind, no-where near hte amount sold will ever visit the forums) all have extremely high-end systems.

What also is suprising is that the 8 series GeForce cards are out performing 9 series. Sometimes cards which have a 30-40% increase in performance.

My entire guild has left the game due to the memory leaks.
I agree, UO is definitely the game for you and your guild.

My warning is you wont want to try the Kingdom Reborn client if you think AoC client is a killer, wait till you try that piece of crap.

Ill go back and play AOC on my system that has not crashed and is the complete opposite of the experience you describe.

I'm sure Funcom will be happy your gone as well, you sound like one of those customers from hell that thinks everything is someone else's fault because it wont work on two of their machines.

You should ask them to refund you some money for your time in having to format your machine and reload a different OS, if you really did that.

D

Dain

I am yet to experience a single crash or graphics glitch and i have close to 90 hours played on my main char.

Content is pretty good in my opinion, sure it's not as good as UO but it ****s all over any other MMO for what they had at release.

PvP system is awesome and i think it gets more complicated as you get higher if you actually know what you're doing.

Those people that claim it's all a big keyboard mashing obviously don't know how to PvP to their characters potential. It's all rather complicated once you add up your resists. damage types, shields, direction, movement, buffs and debuffs etc it really makes fighting each different class a unique experience.

I agree that there's isn't that much social interaction yet, but i think once the hype to get to make level finishes that crafting gathering and guild diplomacy etc will pick up.

ATM most people just care about leveling as fast as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.