Orvago likes Kats.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

Total derail here but I have a question for you.
Your a LOTR mod and I tried to find the answer on the lotr site but failed.
The name Eowyn (this is starting to sound like the Cassie Darksong thread in UHELL) can a player use that name?

G

Not a mod
But yes, I do the LotRO stuff on the LotRO Stratics Site.

Any players using historical (Tolkien) names or close variations there-of, will find themselves getting their name changed to something else by a Game Master, if you're able to get it past their filters.

LotRO actually has a very smart naming filter. One of the things is too many vowels and it will block it, so you'll never see someone running around named "IIIIIIIEEEEEEEEOOOO" and stuff like that.

Names are strict in LotRO and must adhere and be along the Guidelines given when creating a character. I just built some pages on the Races that shows all the naming Guidelines. Now, don't take the guidelines too literal. You may have a dwarf who has an elvish type name, and vice versa. Just don't expect to last long with names like "KoRn" and "A Real Pimp" as well as names from historical figures in our Real World either, like Lincoln or Hitler, ect.

The Game Masters are quick to act upon names that do not befit the world of Middle-Earth or are clo9se facsimiles of historical Tolkien characters. Players are also quick to page on such players. I have bore witness to many many names being changed right before my eyes.

I saw on guy with the name of Mithrainduer (You know, a likeness of Gandalf's true name), get changed to something like Mythrader. (not exact but a close example for my memory)

Go to http://lotro.stratics.com and under "Character Knowledge" section, take a look at each of the Four Races there to see LotRO's naming "Guidelines".

The reason for such strictness is that the Game is like the Story, but Playable. It continues down the Storyline, following the Lore so close it is like Tolkien is here creating the world around us while we play. The events and Books continue to stay in the Lore and Storyline. You'll find that most all the servers are filled with Role-Players. You'll usually only find the PvPers in the "Monster Play" areas.

The "Unofficial" Role-Play Server is Landroval, although you'll find Role-players on all the Servers.

G

wow It got moved and a brand new thread

The reason I asked is my RL name is Eowyn (parents liked Tolkine).
If I have to suffer through several years of school with teachers who can't pronounce my name I should at least be able to use my RL name in a game; it's on my drivers licence, birth certificate and passport.

G

Oh wow! That is an awesome real name to have! *cheers*

Yeah, unfortunately, your name will not get past the filter even I do not think, for I am sure the "Tolkien-Real" Eowyn exists in the game, most all the "NPCs" do or are part of the Story somewhere or will come with later "Books" (Free Content Updates).

You might be happy to hear, Eowyn's horse has its own Server named in honor: Windfola Server.

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Windfola

<blockquote><hr>

wow It got moved and a brand new thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured my windy reply would have really thrown it off-topic. *chuckles*
You can rename your subject line in your new OP if you like.

G

Re named and I am sure some will giggle.
Bahhh!
So many HS teachers who could not pronounce my name... very sad. Lets not even get into the teachers who flunked me. My sister had the same problem
with her french teacher.