• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ore elemental slayer temp?

O

Order

what is a good setup for a miner that can take on all types of ore elemntals hopefully without much difficulty? what weapon types should i go with?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OK...

First of all, it depends on whether you have Blacksmithing on the miner, or not.

Without Smith, I suggest

124 STR
66 DEX
40 INT
(your choice of Dex or INT for stat scroll bonuses)

100-120 weapon skill (depending if your template is 700-720 skill)
100 Mining
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
90 Healing
70 Chivalry
70 Bushido
70 Parry

Pet: Fire Beetle.

For a fighting Miner/Smith, replace the Bushido with Smith, and wear jewelry and Tokuno artifacts to lower the other skills to get the skill space for 120 smith. I personally have 806 skill points on my miner/smith, as follows

120 Macing
120 Blacksmith
100 Mining
100 Anatomy (well under 100, with about +20 from jewelry)
102 Tactics (90+Arms of Tactical Excellence)
100 Parry (85+Ancient Samurai Do and Dupre's Shield)
84 Healing
80 Chivalry (considerable amount from jewelry)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Basara I have been thinking of moving my mining from my crafter to my ABC archer and taking resist off and using earth slayer bow would this also be a good template?
curently would be as follows
115 archery
115 tactics
115 bushido
100 anatomy
75 chiv
100 healing
and would be removing 100 resist for 100 mining

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, it should work pretty well, for when you encounter copper and valorite elementals. If you're going to do most of your garg pick & prospector tool use to GET to Valorite, it's your best option.

With the Copper and Valorite elementals, it's better to be able to back off and kill them - the only danger is getting caught by a couple quick hits, because an archery template doesn't have parry. Just make sure to load up on DCI for an archery template, and be ready to back up a screen width if you KNOW those two ele types are possible from your mining spot - ESPECIALLY if you're in Ilshenar.

Most other metal types, a melee character works better because the ele can be killed so quickly, and it actually takes longer to back off and kill them with archery than a precast Enemy of One and a quick Armor ignore or two (in fact, with my template, unless it's a copper or Valorite Ele, I never stop mining, even while fighting the elemental(s) - yes, I've had up to 5 at once from one spot). So, I tend to recommend melee for someone that is trying for all ores (especially if they have a really good, fast, ele slayer like the Blackthorn's Kryss).

O

Order

which is better to have archery or a melee skill? which can be reflected by val elementals? also where is a good place to get gargoyle pickaxes?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I noted with my post, posted same time as yours, if you're gonna be digging for all ele types, melee is better - but if you're gonna specialize in looking for Valorite eles, archery is better.

As for Gargoyle pickaxes, look on on the floor in Luna, on the Luna NPCs (some people sell them to the blacksmiths or tinker instead of dropping them), or turn in a lot of exceptional iron smalls (half the rewards will be GPA).

If that's still not enough, hunt gargoyles in the pass between compassion gate, Ilshenar, and the ice fields, or in Hythloth.
Ilshenar champ spawns that are running the Semidar champ (start as imps and & mongbats - picks can be gotten from gargoyles in second stage, fiery gargs in 3rd) are fast, but furious (since the bodies decay quickly you have to be on the ball).
Another favorite spot is the Chaos moongate (stone gargoyles), and an area down the pass to the SE of it (north of the Rock dungeon, a mountain pass off a small section of desert, that has 3 stone gargoyles spawn in it).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
well just checked my abc archer i only have 5 dci bit can easily bump that to 30 or so and if i sacrifice other mods 40+ mainly would be after val and verite i have 40+ garg picks and prospecting tools so i can pretty much pick and choose i have 80 to 100 di built in to suit and could either preset ls or ar ignore with my bows! I have like 100 bows with diff stats to choose from and several el slayers i have been hording for this ! the only thing i am missing is my fire bug i have a tamer guess i need to go tame one and get someone to swp it for me or better yet use my sons account maybe :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
normal valorite or copper ele? If they have 120+ STR, (i.e. 110 HP or more), and a resist suit, yes.

However, it would be wise to stop digging the second one of these spawns, because TWO of them might not be as survivable, in melee.

Using a life leech weapon (or casting gift of renewal) also increases one's ability to survive such a fight. Also remember to start a bandage the second you're hit.

Currently, my macer uses the Blackthorn's kryss, as it is Use Best Weapon Skill (and has some life leech), but will switch to something else if he ever makes a good macing elemental slayer.

Also note that a verite or valorite elemental can break anything worn or wielded, if it isn't blessed, insured or cursed.

On the other hand, if you're mining in Ilshenar and get a PARAGON copper or valorite ele, you're gonna have to use all your combat experience to survive - and that means a lot of "hit bandage macro while running away, then stopping to hit the ele once - then repeat as needed". it's possible to stand and fight (and kill) a copper para - but not a valorite one. The closest you might come is if you can somehow manage to get the ele to target your fire beetle, then use close wounds to heal the beetle while you attack the ele (since the beetle will be doing no damage, and taking a lot - be prepared to mount the beetle and run)

O

Order

so they can break armor and clothing if they are not insured? is it the gas attack or its melee attack?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it might just be "when they inflict damage"... It's supposed to be melee attack, but then again, look how slimes do durability damage to your weapon, even from you only hitting them with the "hit area" effect of a weapon.

I'd insure everything not easily replacable (for example, over the years I've lost 3 +5 mining gloves).

F

Fink

That's some good info, thanks Basara. I know what mods I'll put on my first imbued bow now. :thumbsup:

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There once was a bug where I thought it would be a feature. Since its gone now, I suppose it was a bug. :D
Coper and val elementals do full reflect on archery damage these days. With a precast eoo it was nearly a one shot myself down (and nearly a heart attack too for me *g*).
I go for a plain lumberjack for those elementals (swords, tact, ana, heal, lj, mining, some chiv + focus) after them. But I also hope that there will be somewhere in the future something like a 'lumberjack gargolye tool'. I have given up on using (earth) elemental slayers and eoo when hunting for random ore elementals. it simply kills my miner too fast and other than copper or valorite elementals going down fast enough with consecrate. (But I havent tried paragorn ones yet, maybe after some improvements to my miners equippment.)

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK...

First of all, it depends on whether you have Blacksmithing on the miner, or not.

Without Smith, I suggest

124 STR
66 DEX
40 INT
(your choice of Dex or INT for stat scroll bonuses)

100-120 weapon skill (depending if your template is 700-720 skill)
100 Mining
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
90 Healing
70 Chivalry
70 Bushido
70 Parry

Pet: Fire Beetle.

For a fighting Miner/Smith, replace the Bushido with Smith, and wear jewelry and Tokuno artifacts to lower the other skills to get the skill space for 120 smith. I personally have 806 skill points on my miner/smith, as follows

120 Macing
120 Blacksmith
100 Mining
100 Anatomy (well under 100, with about +20 from jewelry)
102 Tactics (90+Arms of Tactical Excellence)
100 Parry (85+Ancient Samurai Do and Dupre's Shield)
84 Healing
80 Chivalry (considerable amount from jewelry)

I would suggest replacing Macing with Lumberjack. Lumberjack works as if it is swords skill so you can swing Axes for dmg and you also have LJ on the character. :)

And yes, you can gain LJ by whacking on a Golem with an axe.

One of my favorite methods for gaining was to whack a golem while I axed trees for wood. I'd wander the forest looking for Frostwood trees with Golem in tow. Ah, memories.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest replacing Macing with Lumberjack. Lumberjack works as if it is swords skill so you can swing Axes for dmg and you also have LJ on the character. :)
umm ... NO!

Really ... as i stated before, i have lumberjack on my miner(s), but it is only an addition to the swordsmanship skill. So it cant replace macing.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
???

Where did you get THAT idea?

Lumberjack does NOT act as a weapon skill - all it does is give extra DI when using an Axe.

K

Kallie Pigeon

My character while not the best elemental killer, can kill them all reliably. He uses strength, agility, heal, refresh, cure potions and does a jousting run at the tougher elementals. He runs in hits a couple times runs back and heals up then repeats. I am thinking of stoning off the arms lore for another skill but haven't got around to it yet.
smith 120
mining 100
tactics 100
anatomy 100
macing 100
healing 100
arms lore 100

P

pgib

My miner has 100 swordsmanship, 60 chivalry, an Elemental Slayer Ornate Axe with 34 DI, 125 strength and a 70-60-70-70-70 suit with 45 DCI. I never had any problem killing ore elementals (hit and run).

O

Order

the hunters guide says that val eles can destroy blessed items like the crimson is this true or just out of date?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's probably someone reporting something on their own, if it's in the comments section.

The devs have stated that items with blessed, insured or cursed tags are immune. I've not lost anything blessed or insured yet...

C

Charlton

Here is my Elemental Combat Miner set-up, and it seems to work very well for me;

120 Anatomy
120 Archery
120 Healing
70 Magery
100 Mining
50 Resist
120 Tactics

Base stats: 245
100 Strength
100 Dexterity
45 Intelligence

Using jewelry to boost Strength/DCI/HCI as well as a runic-crafted Yew earth elemental slayer bow and Quiver of Infinity. Suit is a full 100LRC/70 Resist.

With this set-up I can pretty much handle anything around that I gate into, and can gate both my fire beetle and pack horse.

I've played around with my combat miner template for years but always seem to come back to that one.

I've switched out healing so many times it's not even funny trying different variations, but again just never felt right with other template designs, such as dropping Healing (using Magery to heal instead) to include Blacksmith but since we also need Arms Lore with a Smith it pretty much trashed the combat miner template IMO, so no go with that. Also dropped Healing for Focus at one time so that I don't get caught overburdened with ore when an elemental pops up and unable to move (quite a few harsh lessons there), but was unhappy with that arrangement since it added clicks to combat.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid), which is also why my template is pretty old school.

Would love to find a way to possibly switch out Healing for Veterinary for those annoying instances where the beetle or pack horse gets caught in the crossfire, but just not possible without practically switching out the whole template to an Animal Tamer one just so I can raise Vet to the point where I can rezz my pets...and not too thrilled about the prospect of building a whole new character just so I can soulstone siphon Vet onto my combat miner.

Minor grievances though. All in all, the template listed above is the one I seem to be happiest with and keep coming back to.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I wasn't aware you still needed to gate pets. I thought they just went with you when you recalled.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have any fighting skills on my miner. I just use the pickaxes at my houses. As soon as I pull one, I log out and grab a different char that I parked at the respective house and beat it down. Easy stuff :)

C

Charlton

I wasn't aware you still needed to gate pets. I thought they just went with you when you recalled.
Aye, they recall with me when bonded, but after losing a few and not having anyone around Luna who could rezz them I don't bond my pack horses anymore.

Less worry and trouble to just have a tamed one and buy another when/if it goes down.