• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Optimal Rune Beetle Stats?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm looking to tame or purchase a rune beetle. Could someone give me an idea re: what kind of stats I should be looking for?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread may be helpful:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=117890

Personally, I look for a minimum of 95% of perfect resists, as well as high eval skill (110+ is nice) and high poisoning skill (120+ is nice). At 95% of max, resists would be 62 / 48 / 48 / 90 / 57.

For any pet, if you go to the pet power calculator at http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-power-calculator/ , pick the pet, then put no numbers in and hit submit, at the bottom of the results it will give you a list of the stats, resists, and skill values at 95% of maximum. That way, you have a high end to shoot for on any pet.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks so much for introducing me to the pet calculator. Helped me determine that the time spent training my greater, cu and dread were well spent. My mare, on the other hand, needs to find a new home, lol.

I tamed my first rune beetle. It registered 3.6 stars freshly tamed, which is a keeper to me!

Thanks, again, for your help.

K

Kazumi the Wild

I personally don't like the "Just get it within 95% of maximum" approach to pet-searching - it inevitably leaves out some aspect of a pet's strength or weakness.

For Rune Beetles, I look for a few things.

Stats:
HP: 345+
Dex: 160+
Int: 425+

HPs are obviously a buffer, and important for almost any pet. Dexterity is another thing I focus on - it affects pet speed (probably important if you're facing any PKers) and it gives a greater stamina buffer for max swing speed (so if your beetle is beaten up really badly, it will still swing at cap, or closer to cap). Intelligence is nice for that extra FS or EXP, and for the extra damage casting does. Strength has such a small range that, while I'd like high strength, it really only makes 1 or 2 points of damage of difference per hit.

Skills:
Poisoning: 134+ (pretame)

How often a pet poisons can make a pretty big difference when finishing off a pet - if its wasting its time curing instead of Greater Healing, that means my pets have the time needed to melee it to death before it can come back from the brink. Eval Int is a nice perk to have, but I really don't think its necessary for a good Beetle - I don't think the difference in damage is really that huge.

Resists:
60+ phys, 45+ fire, 40+ cold, 85+ poison, 55+ energy

Phys, fire, and energy are important against a huge majority of NPC enemies you face, and poison at 85 is plenty enough to deal with those poison-based enemies. Cold is pretty much non-essential - there are better pets to use against cold-damage enemies.

Frankly, you need to figure out what stats for which pets suit your playstyle best. i personally like exceptional resists over str/int, and sometimes put more emphasis on some skills and less on others than other people. My philosophy is that almost all pets pack enough punch at higher levels to kill whatever you want killed, and the best way to make sure they get the chance is high resists, high hp, and high wrestling (if applic/possible) to make their survival as likely as possible.

For some purposes, I'll hold the opposite true: If PvPing, I'd put even higher emphasis on poisoning and dex, and my choices for what makes a good Greater Dragon would vary widely.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ok, I hear ya. Obviously, not everything can be reduced to a formula. So, how does this one look? Keep in mind, this one is fresh tamed - no fighting till he's bonded.

333 Hits
426 Str
154 Dex
448 Int

51 Phys
47 Fire
45 Cold
95 Poison
58 Energy

63.9 Wrestling
73.7 Tactics
95.8 Resist
8.1 Anatomy
121.5 Poisoning
93.3 Magery
94.5 Eval
91.0 Med

K

Kazumi the Wild

Personally, no, I wouldn't keep it. Its relatively low HP, combined with that 51 phys resist, means its going to die way too fast... sadly, because its poisoning is superb and it has great stats and resists otherwise.

If you'll be using a bake it tank for it anyway, i suppose it'd be fine. Im a bit of a perfectionist, though. :D

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My beetle:
305 hits
128 stamina/dex
412 mana/int
457 str

resists 63/50/49/86/60
skills over 100:
poison 120.9
EI 101

Honestly, I want the same beetle with a lot more EI. But it took me three weeks to find that one, and I wasn't waiting any more.

My first beetle had low poisoning and high EI and had a damage output which dwarfed my current beetle.

K

Kazumi the Wild

Might as well share my beetle, too :D

Beetle von Doom

342 hp, 451 str, 170 dex, 430 int
100 wrest/tac/anat/med, 93 MR, 98.7 Mage, 110.6 poison, 110.8 eval
Resist 64/45/50/92/45

I'd have rather had 120 poisoning (i'd have traded 110 eval for that, no questions asked), and energy resist could be higher... but for the most part, the resists are as good as they need to be, he's got lots of HP, he hits fast and hard, and he casts like a maniac.

I also have a pretty damn good bake tanking for him, generally.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, if someone's selling a nice one on Atl, I'll pay handsomely for it.

A

Anxiety

I started my first tamer, ever, and worked my skill up and up until I was able to start taming the good stuff. Here is my first Beetle, ever.

Vas Corp Por

Hits - 356
Stam/Dex - 129
Mana/Int - 399
Str - 401

Poison - 116.5

Phys 63
Fire 36
Cold 47
Poi 88
Energy 47

Low fire and energy resist, str and int, but good in places where I want him, I *think*, such a physical resist, poisoning and hits.

Anyways, I'm going to keep him and raise him up, because he's my first. Hope he's good enough.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good job on your first beetle tame. Them's not easy to get.

Why I remember when I first tamed my Pall (Short for Pall Mall, very deadly. But I didn't want a two word name because you can't claim it from the stable as easily. That extra click is sooooo annoying! His stats are listed above), I spent several weeks looking for just the right beetle. I looked once or twice a day and eventually found the alpha-beetle among a herd of six other beetles. It was quite the trick to pull him out, knock him down then lead tame it without attracting some of the other beetle spawn.

Anyhow, good luck with him. As long as you avoid the spellcasting opponents, you should do quite well.

R

RichDC

Im very fussy when it comes to my pets, but imho not one of the aboves beetles is a keeper...much to low on resists, int and Str and WAY too low Eval...

Poisoning is no different if you have 110 or 120...Eval will intensify the poison spell beyond recognition as well as increasing the overall damage output of your pet...

Personally i would say, Stop focusing on poisoning (120 pretame is fine) and start focusing on Eval Int

K

Kazumi the Wild

Im very fussy when it comes to my pets, but imho not one of the aboves beetles is a keeper...much to low on resists, int and Str and WAY too low Eval...

Poisoning is no different if you have 110 or 120...Eval will intensify the poison spell beyond recognition as well as increasing the overall damage output of your pet...

Personally i would say, Stop focusing on poisoning (120 pretame is fine) and start focusing on Eval Int
I'm honestly a little confused about what the poisoning skill on a pet actually does - Admittedly, I simply assumed it does SOMETHING of benefit the higher it goes.

Does it affect how often poison is applied by the pet's melee? It doesn't seem to affect the strength of poison applied at all.

What was the cutoff of magery + poisoning to get the higher level of poisoning from the Poison spell? Could that be a reason to have at least X poisoning? (Edit: Found it - GM Magery and Poisoning gives you Deadly, aka lvl 4, poison, which is the max, so higher poison doesn't have an affect if your beetle is fully trained, casting Poison wise)

Eval Int's bonus to spell damage is as follows: [(Eval * 3)/100] +1

This means, between 100 evaluate int and 112.5 (the max), the max eval does an additional 37.5% base damage, a difference in ~6 damage.

The only really LOW resist on Beetle von Doom is Energy (he's withn 1 of phys, 5 of fire, and 3 of poison) - he otherwise fits all your requirements, including near max eval int.

We've established we have different playstyles, Rich, and so look for different things in our pets. Care to share your own beetle? What tradeoffs did you have to make when taming it?

I can tell you that finding a beetle that matches anyone's "near-perfect" conditions is a helluva shot in the dark. I compromised on energy resist and the poison skill, and I don't feel I've got an unacceptable beetle by a longshot (though, hey, it COULD be better, just like my greater COULD have a few more points in wrestling and a few more HP for a little extra fire breath damage, but finding such a dragon or beetle would be exponentially more difficult to do than the ones i've already found).

So did you find a beetle that actually fits the stats you suggest (aka my beetle but with 55 energy resist)? If so, how long did it take you to find it? Or did you compromise with 1 or 2 stats on an otherwise extremely good beetle? If so, what stats did you compromise?

R

RichDC

Missed your beetle...its a nice one,

I dont compramise lol the one i have atm is only a filler which most people would consider a keeper i cant tell you stats im at work atm and cant log on,ill post when i get home though.

It will take me a long time to find my keeper beetle(took me about a month non-stop to get my bake and mare!) beetle will probs take longer than a month dues to the many different stats. ill need to find basically 1 or 2 of every stat (except poison resist 95 is really not that important they still get DP'd)

On the poisoning, the higher eval(and poisoning total) the higher chance you have of DP from the spell but it also will increase the intensity of melee poisoning (you can get to level 5) however as i said its not that big a difference in my experience from 110 -120, that 6 damage from eval is alot when you consider thats per spell and they have 450 mana to dump!

K

Kazumi the Wild

Missed your beetle...its a nice one,

I dont compramise lol the one i have atm is only a filler which most people would consider a keeper i cant tell you stats im at work atm and cant log on,ill post when i get home though.

It will take me a long time to find my keeper beetle(took me about a month non-stop to get my bake and mare!) beetle will probs take longer than a month dues to the many different stats. ill need to find basically 1 or 2 of every stat (except poison resist 95 is really not that important they still get DP'd)

On the poisoning, the higher eval(and poisoning total) the higher chance you have of DP from the spell but it also will increase the intensity of melee poisoning (you can get to level 5) however as i said its not that big a difference in my experience from 110 -120, that 6 damage from eval is alot when you consider thats per spell and they have 450 mana to dump!
Fair enough. Don't take this personally, but I don't think you know for certain the effects of the poisoning skill on the chance to poison when meleeing either.

And it is only 6 points of damage on flamestrike, where the base damage is so high. It could be as little as, oh, 1-2 points of damage on weaker spells.

I think my point was that not everyone is uncompromising, or can reasonably be assumed so. I do like pets as good as I can get them... and i actually DID camp the Rune Beetles for a month (or more) to find Beetle von Doom (I was lucky enough to be around during the Tokuno Arty drop time), and BvD was the best that came up (According to my standards, anyway - at the time, i apparently put more stock in eval int, which i'm starting to warm towards again).

R

RichDC

Fair enough. Don't take this personally, but I don't think you know for certain the effects of the poisoning skill on the chance to poison when meleeing either.

And it is only 6 points of damage on flamestrike, where the base damage is so high. It could be as little as, oh, 1-2 points of damage on weaker spells.

I think my point was that not everyone is uncompromising, or can reasonably be assumed so. I do like pets as good as I can get them... and i actually DID camp the Rune Beetles for a month (or more) to find Beetle von Doom (I was lucky enough to be around during the Tokuno Arty drop time), and BvD was the best that came up (According to my standards, anyway - at the time, i apparently put more stock in eval int, which i'm starting to warm towards again).
Nothing personal taken

I agree with you that BvD is a nice beetle, i missed him on the first scan of the posts, im just very fussy :p and i wont stop until i am basically 1point in everything of max my bake for example still needs to be better and its 350hp 130dex 425 mana 215str...59/89/58/57/59 (needs more dex and str!)

Your right im not 100% certain about the melee poisoning, but judging from when i used to run a nox dexxer, 80 poisoning with 120 tactics was enough to hit lvl 5 poison pretty much every time. Which makes me think that it works the same as magery (200 combined skill) therefore only gm poisoning on a trained beetle would be sufficient, but as you said i dont know for certain.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I already have a pretty nice bug, but was looking for another for one of my other tamers. I just happened to pop in to check out some bugs and the fourth one I lored wound up in the stable. It's stats are as follows after taming:

Hit Points 356
Strength 447
Dexterity 150
Intelligence 410

64/47/41/93/59

Wrestling 65.2
Tactics 80.3
Resist 96.3
Anat 0.0 (obviously hehe)
Poisoning 123.5

Magery 94.6
Eval 112.4
Med 94.6

I think he's a keeper.;) It's a 4.2 on the Pet calculator, my previous one is a 4.0 so he's a slight improvement. Yeah, I'd love 10 more dex, and another 5 on cold, but I really don't use them where cold damage is an issue. I think this one will be an ass kicker.

K

Kazumi the Wild

It ranks a 4.2 for a reason... that's a helluva beetle.

If only I got pets like that for every 4th potential pet i looked at... ;P

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If you decide you want to get rid of it - or that you need an extra 15 mil - icq me.

B

bigpapi

Hey guys, i know this is an old thread but i am a new tamer and was wondering if this rune beetle was worth keeping/training up?

Pet Calc says it is 3.7

Post-Taming Stats:

HP 356
INT 422
STR 455
DEX 135

64/47/45/77/58 RESISTS

WRESTLE 68
TACT 81.2
RESIST 92.5
POISON 125.8
MAGE 95.2
EVAL 108
MED 93.9

I know the DEX and Poison RES is a bit on the low side, but all the other % look pretty high. Thoughts?

Thanks!

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your beetle, bigpapi. The lower poison resist doesn't worry me, as there aren't a ton of monsters that do poison damage.

The poisoning skill is a very sweet spot - 125+ is excellent.

Stay tuned, as there will likely soon be an update to the calculator that takes into greater account pet skills that train over GM. Your rune beetle's score would then be likely higher due to its great poisoning skill.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
How did you find this thread? o_O

As an update, I've been taming for two and a half years since the OP . . . and I have a couple nice rune beetles . . .

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think rune beetles are by far the hardest pet to find really good quality ones of. I know the rune beetle I have on Atlantic was the product of three years worth of searching, and it doesn't even rate all that highly. It just has what I am looking for in a pvp beetle.

B

bigpapi

How did you find this thread? o_O

As an update, I've been taming for two and a half years since the OP . . . and I have a couple nice rune beetles . . .
I was googling Rune Beetle stats.... I dont have a ton of UO time and my tamer is like 95% done skill wise, so i have started looking for keeper pets. I wanted to see if this Beetle was worth the time investment to train - given my limted play time :)

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys, i know this is an old thread but i am a new tamer and was wondering if this rune beetle was worth keeping/training up?

Pet Calc says it is 3.7

Post-Taming Stats:

HP 356
INT 422
STR 455
DEX 135

64/47/45/77/58 RESISTS

WRESTLE 68
TACT 81.2
RESIST 92.5
POISON 125.8
MAGE 95.2
EVAL 108
MED 93.9

I know the DEX and Poison RES is a bit on the low side, but all the other % look pretty high. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Yep he's alright. I like dex a little higher myself, but I have a similar bug on one of my tamers on another shard I occasionally play. Poison resist, as Kit mentioned, is no big deal as you won't find too many poison damagers.

N

NatalieVain

I got this beetle:

HP/Sta/Mana: 345/170/426
Str/Dex/Int: 427/170/426

Resistances: 63/44/50/80/43

Poisoning: 120.8
Eval Int: 93.9

It has poor EI and Energy Resist but im going to keep it

N

NatalieVain

just tamed another one