• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[OOC] What do you look for in evil guilds?

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am doing research and trying to find out what the people of Baja/UO look for in an evil group of people (like an evil based guild).

1. Are you into any type of RPvP (Roleplaying Player vs Player)?
(example: this would be PvP but with an RP reason for it)

2. Maybe just acting out the fight?
(example: *Lord Dirk Dinkwind weaves his blade through the air & swings the blade down at your leg*)

3. What is your favorite kind of bad guy/girl?
(example: i like how Scar from the Lion King acted as if he was a friend but then turns around and stabs Simba in the back! Or you like then being very verbal how evil they are and how much they want to kill you)

4. Would you always want the good guy to win? Or let the bad guy win every so often to keep things more exciting? Or would you like the bad guy to win?

5. What kind of evil story would you like to see unfold?
(example: like how darth vader is lukes father or see a gang's slow rise to power)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember you...

but I can't recall... where.

I was a prominent member of two of the most evil groups on Atlantic, FoA and OeS.

I was considered part of the seer team in FoA, and I even wrote parts of the story. And in OeS... it got very philosophic, and full of archetypes.

The interaction between the "actors" is what interested me most in roleplaying evil.

But then the evil got so evil that it flabberghasted all of us. But maybe I shouldn't speak about this in public anymore, if I don't want to be censored again, hm... moderated I mean.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I did play on Atlantic for a short time...but I did not use the name Ceno.
I used the name Robin Hood.
I was playing on a friends account since we couldnt afford to pay for my account so I went to play on Atlantic under the name Robin Hood.
This was back in 99 or 00

I did join a guild while on Atlantic but I do not recall the name

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't anyone have any input at all for this subject?
I think a lot of RP communities on other shards would be able to benefit from this kind of thread where we can talk about how to RP evil chars.

You can't have a good story without conflict and you can't have conflict if there is never any evil. I have noticed on Baja that people shy away from evil RPers because they dont understand why we are mugging them or other things. No one ever plays the person stricken with fear except for one person that i've seen so far. Everyone else plays the fearless hero but when they lose they become mad.
So I think this would be a good way to find some sort of boundries. For if no one will play the evil guy, who will?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Often when I organize an RP event, I have to provide the villain. Usually it is in the form of one of my other characters who belongs to the thieves guild. They will use the disguise kit and roleplay a henchperson that the heroes must vanquish, sort of like the stormtroopers they beat along the way though they know Darth Vader is behind giving them their marching orders.

Usually, I'll dress in substandard gear and typically the heroes will triumph. Mind you, we are rebuilding the RP community, so it's more about telling a story than anything. Sometimes the unexpected happens and the villain does better than I might have imagined, but that keeps it fresh for me too, not knowing what will come next.

As the story progresses and the RP community gets more comfortable with it all, I'll arrange more challenging encounters.

One of the big things I want from our evil folk is some depth. Too often, I've seen evil guilds/characters who are evil just because and that basically gives them free license to be a jerk (in an RP sense). We've gone to great lengths with our villains to give them their backstory and their motives moving forward.

If you want, I can share some of them with you, but be warned, I can get long-winded.