• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Onslaught

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally i got my LV III primer and now i have a question. I did rikktor yesterday and didn't like it.

There is no debuff Timer where i can see the duration and obslaught doesnt refresh just like Divine fury so you have to wait til it ran out but again i can see no timer.

Well it works aus long as i do nothing Else than onslaught and ds but thats seldom the case. Recasting df or casting close wounds/ confidence leads to some Kind of chaos and dmg loss.

Anyone got an idea how to better handle it?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Onslaught has a cooldown timer of 2 seconds to recast again, and lasts around 6 to 8 seconds at level 3.
Usually, you use it then do 3 DS in a row and re-apply it. Or cast everything else you need before re-applying it.

I don't use it against Rikktor, though. I prefer to joust him with AI instead. He hits much too hard for me to stay a lot of time standing in front of him.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i did that. Onslaught-ds-ds-ds-onslaught

But the next ds after the second onslaught hit did dmg against the unmodified monster resistance. So i had to cast onslaught again. I guess you have to 4xds?
That is:
Onslaught -1,25- ds -1,25-ds-1,25-ds-1,25-ds-1,25-onslaught
That would be 6,25 sek. Am i right here?

But if onslaught lasts 6-8 sek and the debuff timer is not visible there is always a source of failure. And dmg loss. I miss a ds and get a ds with less dmg.

I really dont understand why again like df this skill is not refreshable while the effect lasts. Spamming cant be the answer because it makes no sense, onslaught does not do enough dmg.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know if onslaught is that good. Maybe for doing medusa or Chief Paroxysmus or those cpts in blackthorn dungeon with much hp. But for the Rest i think for now ill go for armor ignore.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Onslaught is good against anything with 60 or less lowest resist. You'll do more damage. DS hitting twice also has double the chance to apply hit lower defense and slightly more consistent/reliable life leech and mana leech because each swing has its own chance of leeching life/mana. Downside to DS is missing the 2nd swing and spending the mana for it. Not that big of a deal since I haven't encountered any 200+ wrestling bosses that also have low resist.

Here's a list of bosses I would use Onslaught/DS against:
Baracoon
Jounar
Virtubane
Belfry
Dreadhorn
Paroxymus
Narvey
Medusa
Lady Mel
Abyssal Inferno

Here's what I use armor ignore against:
Niera (undead champ spawn boss)
Ozy
Anon
Travesty
Scali
Corgul

Last edited:

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes i thought so but i really mess around using it.

@Kyronix
Can we get a debuff timer and / or make it refreshable while its still running

Last edited:

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By now everyone realizes that onslaught does not stack with special moves.
That is, you trigger onslaught and let your toon do a normal/single swing (without specials).

Therefore onslaught only offers benefit to warriors who dont/cant spam specials frequently, or if your sword weapon special is not useful. Onslaught can provide extra damage here.
(just to clarify why people still talk about onslaught+DS, which can be confusing)

However, if you can spam DS frequently, onslaught does not help further when damage output/time is compared.

For example, me vs dragon:
- normal hit: 100hp
- onslaught: 140hp
- double strike: 180hp

So when you have optimized your armors/weapons, you wont really bother with onslaught.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another problem is you always need the right element. Sure bosses have some weaknesses and you can craft the right double axe, BUT the resitances arent fix there is some kind of min / max they can have, so sometimes bosses are weaker, sometimes stonger.

And using specials + spells makes the battle more complicated. You have to count how many doublestrikes you made to refresh onslaught at the right time, watch your health and mana, be aware of the boss and environment recast some spells, drink pots....

So in theory the skills truely does more damage, but in the current state its probably a damage loss, at least for me.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
By now everyone realizes that onslaught does not stack with special moves.
That is, you trigger onslaught and let your toon do a normal/single swing (without specials).

Therefore onslaught only offers benefit to warriors who dont/cant spam specials frequently, or if your sword weapon special is not useful. Onslaught can provide extra damage here.
(just to clarify why people still talk about onslaught+DS, which can be confusing)

However, if you can spam DS frequently, onslaught does not help further when damage output/time is compared.

For example, me vs dragon:
- normal hit: 100hp
- onslaught: 140hp
- double strike: 180hp

So when you have optimized your armors/weapons, you wont really bother with onslaught.
Did this change in the most recent patch? When it was brand new, each strike from a DS got to hit the lower resist, though I suppose they could have changed this in the most recent patch. Unless this changed, basically 100% of your post is wrong.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always used 100% elemental weps, and I have never noticed any DI bonus from onslaught+DS+DS (vol 3 + 120 sword/tactics).
I read from other threads that onslaught does not stack with speicals. Is that statement correct or not?

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No onslaught does stack with speacials. The double strikes are stronger. thats not the problem,

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How odd. I've done many tests...Onslaught does not work for me with specials. Same for my buddy.

Can anyone else run tests?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can't use onslaught at the same time you use an special. But after you land the onslaught, I can guarantee to you that your next 3 or so double strikes will deal a whole bunch more of damage.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
How odd. I've done many tests...Onslaught does not work for me with specials. Same for my buddy.

Can anyone else run tests?
Why don't you describe your testing methodology? Perhaps you're simply doing something wrong.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Certainly not the same time.
Onslaught-DS-DS-DS: nope (no waits between each step)
Onslaught-normal hit-DS-DS: nope (no waits between each step)

edit.....OK...finally got it figured out. You need to see a 2nd message saying "you deliver an onslaught..." from the first hit (without specials). Oh well :eek:

Last edited:

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ya i dont need to cast spells so its pretty chill and straight forward. Definitely a huge increase in dps for me. Its a lot easy tanking and soloing jounar and virtubane when im doing more damage. Pretty much stay at full hp/stam/mana after ever double strike.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
OK, did some serious testing against miasma today.
4 is the magic number if you are running 1.25s swing speed and level 3 swords mastery.
You land the onslaught, you have the next 4 hits to deliver painful double strikes.
Regarding casting, divine fury, enemy of one and consecrate weapon (the last one is useless with onslaught) don't reset your swing timer anymore. Confidence does, though, so it can screw up your count.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It'd be nice if I could ever get my hands on a level 3 mastery for it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Onslaught stacks with Corpse Skin, for ridiculous amounts of damage. It brings just about any enemy to below 60 in Fire or Poison Resist, where DS > AI. Plus, the -Resist from Onslaught not only applies to your damage, but to the damage that anyone does against the Onslaught victim. So it can increase the damage output of an entire group of people, as does Corpse Skin.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My guildies love it when i use Onslaught on a boss like Medusa, Chief Paroxysmus, Lord Oaks or Navrey. Especially when i Corpse Skin them beforehand.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Onslaught + corpse skin is almost broken. :D
It is just too damn good.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My guildies love it when i use Onslaught on a boss like Medusa, Chief Paroxysmus, Lord Oaks or Navrey. Especially when i Corpse Skin them beforehand.
Onslaught + corpse skin is almost broken. :D
It is just too damn good.
Are you guys running templates with Chiv to do onslaught + corpse skin? If yes, do you find that you have to regularly farm karma to get a reasonable duration out of EOO?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are you guys running templates with Chiv to do onslaught + corpse skin? If yes, do you find that you have to regularly farm karma to get a reasonable duration out of EOO?
Nope. Most of my chars that can use onslaught don't have necro or spirit speak. But I often hunt with people that do.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use a template with 120 Swords/GM Tact/GM Necro/GM SS/GM Bush/GM Chiv/GM Resist or GM Parry (soulstone depending what i'm hunting). Even with negative Karma, Enemy of One lasts several minutes, and is easy to refresh. It takes me about 15-20 mins to go from -10k Karma, to 10k positive. Karma is easy to get.