• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Once again nothing for Bards

• Thread starter Luke Carjacker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Luke Carjacker

Ok, so I'm going to whine and complain a lot in the post - if you're not interested you can stop reading here.

The boards are abuzz with new content from the SA expansion...except of course the UO Bard forum, which hasn't had a new post since Sept. 9th. Why is it that bards get so little love?

First a little bit of history. I've maxed out pretty much every useful skill in this game (and some non-useful ones) including combat, crafting, support, whatever, I've done them all but I'll always think of myself as a bard. My main character is a 6x legendary bard/mage (never did like peace much), and I also adjusted my tamer with 120 discord and music and it's a killing machine. My days in UO go back to when bard skills were a strict percentage test - meaning 100 provocation + 100 music equaled 100% success chance. At that time, bards were considered among the most powerful in the game, along with Tamers & Mages. Let's see what has happened since then.

Bard skills became difficulty based - which means that one day you could provoke/peace everything in the game 100% of the time, and the next day you couldn't even make an attempt! You had to get to 120/120 to become relevant again - the new skill cap was an out-and-out penalty for bards.

At the same time, let's consider if you were a mage, tamer or other character at the time. If you were a mage, one day GM magery was all you could hope for, and a 50% success rate on 8th circle spells. The next day, you could become a legendary mage, with 100% success on 8th circle, not to mention 120 eval which meant a lot more damage, and 120 med. For a tamer, one day you had great difficulty as a GM Tamer taming requiring 20 attempts for dragons and nightmares. The next day, you could work towards legendary taming, which meant much higher success in taming and control. For warriors, higher weapons skill and tactics meant far more damage.

Beyond the change in skills, all other classes were rewarded with new items and abilities as well. Mages got mage armor (as opposed to leather, cloth or nothing) before. They also got items that could help with faster casting, faster recovery, lower mana cost, spell damage increase, slayer spellbooks and more. I'd say Mages these days can cast 4x as many spells and do 3x as much damage (12x better total) compared to the good old days. Tamers got a nerf with control slots, but eventually they got Rune Beetles, Greater Dragons and new tameables time and again. Warriors got damage and swing speed increases, enhanced bandages, specialized damage types, and more.

Let's see, what have Bards received over the years. Well, I am thankful for flutes of renewal - those were a nice perk - but let's face it every other class got access to super slayers as well, and renewability with powder of fortification. Then as expansion after expansion passed with bards receiving nothing, we were finally rewarded with with the Dreadhorn Flute. It's doesn't give huge bonuses compared to a ring of the elements, jackal's collar or any of the dozens (nay hundreds) of weapon and armor pieces that benefit other classes, in fact it does nothing different at all but I was excited - only to learn that it's not even an exceptional item making it totally useless. So at this point, while every other class has benefited from marvelous new equipment, skills, pets, etc., bards have exactly what they had for the past decade - a lute or drum or tambourine just the same as always.

Honestly, I'm not asking for ways to make the bard class more powerful. I believe that it is still among the most powerful in the game, and I'm happy to see a variety of templates having success at champ spawns etc. (I have an additional rant regarding how bards are not properly credited for kills - confirmed by an EM - that I'll address in a separate thread). Although I would like to see some type of benefit like faster recovery, or as a guild-mate suggested perhaps a positive buff ability (kind of like the opposite of discord) to friendlies, but overall I think bards are strong enough. What I am asking for is a little creativity and love. For example, snake charming was added in the new expansion - and isn't limited to bards! How about some nice (not necessarily more powerful) equipment so I can carry something other than my GM tambourine around?

I'm sure there are others out there who would like a little love. Thank you.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see ...
- remove of shared timers for barding skills (lets have each skill its own timer)
- lrc working with/for fire horns

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
what the hell are you guys talking about!!!!

we, as bards are so overpowered!!!!

WE RULE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!

wait..... its 1998 right?

it's not?

so ill add a little more bard haters onto your list.
what about new haven when it came along.
all skills got begining tutorials and got increased gains for training..... except all bard skills.
that right there tells you that the dev's dont even want new players to become bards.

ah well, they can hate on us all they want.
on the last day of UO it will be a bard sitting there on the log playing a nice ditty when they unplug the last server.
unfortunatlly that bard will fail the barding difficulty check and the Mongbat will kill him, meh.

C

Capt.E

I love playing a bard, and I would love to see something itemwise to make him more powerful. The new abyssal spawn is almost tailor made for bards(you can even Provo the monsters onto players in there!), which is hilarious by the way. It's too bad all it takes is an invis to get them off of ya :(. I am going to work in a 120 resist into my template so I can survive pvp for a little bit. Thinking Mage eval med music Provo resist. Now if only the devs could put tracking and auto-attack onto provo'ed creatures :p.

N

Naigen

its amazing how tamers get new pets and a greater dragons, we used to be able to do destard
but nowadays us bards have been pushed out. even for peerless provocation is virtually useless, discord is useless for trav

to be honest id like them to change the mechs of bard skills like lowering monsters difficulties

J

Jermosh

Well said, I have not really played my pure bard in almost a year. I finally dusted him up and went to fight in the cave of Dispair, only to find out that I fail like crazy on the upper ratmen.
Lets face it, barding skills are really just a secondary skill anymore. Yes they are still fairly powerful, but still need some love.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the pure bard is hard to play these days.
specially as a stand alone.

i cant remember that last time i took one of mine out.

but the bard skills MIXED with other skills is still the ruler of all.
i took my disco tamer out last night and took over a couple spawns from people.

i love watching a tamer with a greater take 2 minutes to kill something.
then i come in, disco it and put my greater on it and its dead in seconds.

there was a time a couple years ago where (and i hate to say it) you could..... get around the barding timer.... eeeeh..... it has since been fixed, but when it was around it was a very easy thing to do, took all of a millisecond if you had it set to a hotkey.

now THAT was a fun time to be a bard.
you could roll in and unload the BARD UZI on a spawn.
disco disco disco disco
provo provo provo provo

but its just so hard now with the long ass timers.
disco.... wait 10 seconds.
provo.... wait 10 seonds.
disco.... wiat 10 seconds.
INVIS!!!!!!! run run run run run run, invis, heal heal hea... ah crap!

run to shrine.

not that im saying it was a good thing.
cause it was cheating.... even though it was game mechanics.... but it does raise a interesting point.

and that is, why do we have a timer between skills.
i see why the timer between say disco attempts.
but why if you go disco, provo.
each of the barding skills should have its own timer.

thats my take on that.

L

Luke Carjacker

Yeah, except for certain limited situations, it is unfortunately a support skill now. I used to be a Bard with mage skills, but now it's more the other way around. Discord and taming is a devastating combination.

The one situation where I'm still very happy to be a bard is during levels 3 & 4 at champ spawns. When the spawn levels up and everyone takes off running, I can just invis (OK, I'm still nothing without some mage skills) and start my provokes. Within a minute, I can have 5-6 fights going on, and since they are high level creatures, the effort is worth it. Depending on how heavy the spawn is, I'll just invis/provoke or throw in a few EVs to clear things out. Bards can advance the spawn at most champs faster than anyone else (disco/tamers are strong too).

But like I said, it's only for limited situations. Once the champ comes out, bards get the shaft once again. A disco on the boss makes it 75% easier for everyone else, but the bard himself/herself will get no credit for it. Advance the spawn and make the boss easier to kill so everyone else can get drops and scrolls.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco tamer is my favorite for killing monsters but i also have provo and peace on stones. If i remove vet Disco/provo tamer is fun too.
I also have a chiv/disco archer he is fun too.