• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

older player returning...

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(this turned into a bit of a long read, sorry guys! TL:DR = can you check out my template idea near the bottom and give it C&C please?)

Hiya guys.

I've played since 1999 if you ignore some of the glaring gaps in my sub, but my account is still some 84 months old. I last played in 2010 for 10 months or so and I easily turned my old dexxer into a sampire and sorted out a few other characters, got into doing some champs and such, made some money for some decent suits and then eventually stopped playing again.

I came back a month or so ago and I'm not really feeling my old characters. I can't seem to get to grips with my ABC archer, I tore up my tamers template (had been working towards an eval/mage/necro tamer, decided that sucked but can't think of ways to improve it) and miasma gets pretty boring on the old sampire.

I looked at making a thrower but decided I didn't have the money to do it, even though people seem to suggest it as being pretty uber pvm these days and my mage/Thunter is feeling a little stale, though I love that character.

Anyway, I decided that I'd like to try skills that I've never really dabbled in which are throwing and mysticism. I kinda talked myself out of throwing for the time being as I don't think I can afford a whole combat suit and don't want to butcher my sampire or ABC suits for parts.

So I came up with an idea and wondered what people thought??

Magery 100 (115 with scrappers)
Meditation 80
Provocation 90 (120 with jewels)
Discordance 90 (120 with jewels)
Music 120
Mysticism 120
Focus 120

720 cap.

reasons for this are because I already have the suit with the scrappers and jewels from my Thunter mage character and will just use the same character... I'm thinking I can soulstone off the carto/lockpicking/120 med and start working on mystic/focus/80 med.

Is this going to be an effective pvm template? How far could it go? I'm only likely to be playing solo/duo unless I manage to find a guild that'll take me.

Also, is the 80 meditation worth it? I wonder if there's something else I'm missing that might be a better choice? I figured probably not, and everyone loves mana, right?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
template looks good!
i think youll like that template.

you wont be able to use the bard masteries to their fullest as your gonna be 90 real skill, but you still will get 80% out of them, and there is nothing wrong with 80%!!!!!!

with that template you should be very effective at pvm.
i know i am with it!

roll in, disco the mob, provo some stuff onto it, drop a RC and turn on the provo mastiers.
the mob will take the -28 to its resists and -28% to its skills then your RC will get the HCi/SDI/DI increase plus the STR/DEX/INT buff and the auto healing of like 10-22 per second.
couple that with your cleansing winds and you dropping bombards and nether bolts and hail storms over its shoulders and you should have no problem eating up bad critters.

the 120 focus will give you full meat to your myst spells.
and the 80 med will help you keep your mana up.
40 LMC on your suit with MR and your laughing all the way to the bank.

cheers bro!

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Poo!

I don't know much about the masteries so I'm gonna check the stickies for info on those. I could always change the suit around to accomodate max real skill disco/provo. I'd just have to get jewels made with +30 each to other skills (magery and mysticism perhaps). Still cheaper than buying a whole new suit. (though then it may take a substantial amount of time to train disco/provo to near 120)

Anyway, off to read about masteries, thanks for the response so soon Poo :)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im home sick with a cold..... a man cold!

but i was just thinking.... you said that making a thrower is expensive?
i disagree.
i think out of all the melee players a thrower is the cheapest to make.
why?
first off the suit.
you can make a top shelf suit for a thrower with next to no special stuff.
why?
because garg armour comes with double to triple the resist points that human and elf stuff does.
so if you sink 30 minutes into making the peices you can map out a suit and you wont need to imbue any resists onto it and it will be all 70's
that will leave you like 5 slots PER PIECE to add HPI, MR, LMC, SR and dex.

so now your sitting on a 70 suit with all the timmings.
so now you need a 120 throwing scroll.
cheap like pudding!

so now you need weapons.
again, cheap to buy, cheap to make.

im not sure where the expensive part of making a thrower is but i think someone has been lying to you my friend.
if i was on a budget i would make a thrower before i made a archer!

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aaaah. I didn't know :) I never really dabbled with gargoyles last time I played so I wasn't aware of the resists. My sampire suit was pretty pricey.

The archer I already had, and his suit isn't greeeaaaat, but it's ok. covers all bases.

I was thinking I'd probably have to spend... 20-30 mil on a suit plus a few weapons. I might ask around on Europa and see if anyone makes suits these days could give me a quote on a garg suit and some weapons. I might go that route next. I was going to start training mysticism tonight as I'm quite excited about this bard/mystic build.

Plus I wasn't sure what a thrower could accomplish that my sampire can't already.

I found the info on masteries in the stickies. Quite interesting, I'm fairly sure that didn't exist last time I played. Either that or I was just that ignorant. I'm thinking that maybe it'd be worth me having (for example) 30 mystic and 30 magery on my jewels and training disco and provo to 120 real skill each. Though I can't help but feel that might take a while. Not sure what training those two skills is like for 90-120.

Hope you're not too ill :)

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as with making armor and weapons its all on if you can get the stuff ya need for cheap.
powder of fort on smaller shards is usually the nut buster.
cause ya usually need like 2 per weapon and piece of armor.

the rest of the stuff you can get easy enough by hunting in the abyss for supplies and you can hunt in the new dungeons and get a imbuer to meld down all the loot for essence and relics.

so really all you would ever need to buy for a suit is seeds of renewal, powder of fort. everything else you can get on your own by hunting with either a sampire or tamer with ease.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm. I'll look into that then. I've only been into the abyss once or twice so not really looked into it much, but getting boat loads of magic items to unravel is easy as everything drops lots (can always do thunting for buckets of em too).

Currently working on disco using masteries, haven't got many gains yet, but it's a lot of pressing the same macro over and over ^^ I get distracted :p

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if your getting stuff to melt down into essence and relics id suggest the new/old dungeons that have the new loot, as they pay out MUCH higher then the old loot.

shame, covetous, wrong.
they all have the new loot and it melts down for much better results then the old loot from T hunting and any other monsters.
like you can pull a bag out of shame in like 20 minutes and get 20 relics and 200 essence.
from doing a level 5 chests your lucky if you get 1 relic and 20 essence and 200 residue.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aah ok, that's great to know, thanks poo.

I've managed to go from 90 to 92.6 disco while at work today (pressing the button between customers lol)... this is gonna take a while :p I might get bored and take the lazy route and just raise mystic (assuming that's any easier than disco + provo from 90-120)]

Edit: quick thought: which is better for raising skill? Tribulation or Despair?

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Tribulation MANA 24
vs Despair MANA is 26

so Trib would be the cheaper mana one to use.
couple that with 40 LMC so your down to like 14/15 mana per cast.

i usually put my pause in my uoassist macro so that it matches with my med/focus/suit so that im never dropping in mana while training.

law696

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll play about with that, cheers.

I decided to put the provo/disco on hold for the time being and raise mystic to at least GM as then I could prolly go out and do stuff with the character. Gives me time to sort out replacement jewelery to swap the two skills around aswell.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 2 accounts its also really helpful to have another bard buffing your bard in training with resilience for the extra mana regen.