• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old OrB members?

• Thread starter Piccolo(UO:R)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
P

Piccolo(UO:R)

Hey guys.
Its been about 7 years for me and im just wondering if theres any OrB guys hangin around?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Given that Big Kev, the last 'holder' of the OrB Guild GM's status, let his last two Castles on Ice drop to IDOC status 2 nights ago, I doubt it.

Another vet bites the dust. R.I.P

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry, perhaps a bit misleading. Really no idea what happened to Kevvy. But his accounts certainly died :(

Never thought he would let his stuff IDOC given how he hated the whole idoc scene, so watching it happen was a bit sad.

He was of a similar opinion to me on idocs, I would rather put my stuff in the bin rather than let it fall, that is however, before the cave of the discarded, now I would let it decay in a locked house before letting it fall in an idoc.

I attended perhaps a dozen in the 7 years I played full time, very few considering how many houses on our shard have fallen, was something I could never get into. It always seemed to me like picking over someone's carcass. I would rather work for my stuff than do that, although I appreciate the opinions of those who think differently. I just never liked the fact you could get rich in this game off the work of others. Time management by a clock on when stuff was dropping was never my idea of 'earning' your stuff. *shrugs*

I guess it is easier to let the vulture's have at it rather than bother with it I guess.

F

Fink

Since they changed the rules on house refreshing IDOCs represent a closed account rather than just maintenance neglect, so I can see from where that 'vulture' sentiment may stem. On the other hand, when people forgot to refresh their house it was usually stuff they wanted to keep. Now when an account finally falls it's because they don't want it anymore.

Regarding "earning" I used to hold a similarly dim view on people who would strip my vendors and then resell my stuff at 800% markup. I really don't care anymore but years ago I let it irk me but, meh, it's just a game after all.

Mungo of Minoc

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piccolo, you will forgive me for this long post. I don't post often but on this occasion I would like to take the time to inform you about ORB, reinforce Miss Echo's comments and pay tribute to a truly great player on this shard, Big Kev.
A tribute also to morn the passing of truly great and legendary Castle.
This year is the 10th year of my account. In 2000 standing outside a small marble down from Minoc stables a character walked past called Kevyn. We chatted, we hit it off, we were the same age, too old dudes in a game full of young ones.
Back then his character was a mule for his son who was an accomplished PvP player when every moongate into Fel was dangerous at every hour of the day.
Screw that I said, make a fighter and come with us to Covetous tonight.
Next thing Big Kev turns up yelling "Im excited". We go to Covetous, we keep forgetting he was with us. Our group would always say to each other before a dungeon run "Cross heal, nobody dies tonight and we share and share alike"
I felt guilty about forgetting Kev that night..where's the new guy? ... "dead on level 2" ...."I saw his bones on level 3". I went around to his place next day to apologise but he was back in Covetous. He never looked back.
His son Bowen, became a member of ORB when Sir Ram was guild leader. Bowen took over the guild from Boric around 2003 and built the famous dueling house below Trinsic and some old players may still remember the great "bash and bury" nights held there. Practicing PvP. About the same time Kevyn obtained his castle, the Ice Mall. He wanted to stock
every item available ingame and did so, in spades, with much work and dedication. Miss Echo has been one of the few players since that Ive seen provide a shop that surpassed the Ice Mall.
Bowen handed the guild leader ship to Big Kev about 04 or 05. Right through till early 2008 there was about eight very active Orbie's with Big Kev as our Guild Leader.
In March of that year, Kev on closing all his accounts also closed the guild and due to a commitment made to Sir Ram many years ago he guild should close forever. The remnants formed OLD (Oceania's last Defenders) with Lord Farrow as guild leader. They will be still be here in Oceania when the lights are turned out and Elvis leaves the building.
So Piccolo thus ends the story of the great guild ORB.

I don't know why I had decided to go by Kev's old castle last friday night. I mean I don't log on much into my own place as it is. But I did.
I was totally stunned to see those two castles had gone IDOC. I tried an ancient email and icq ... but zippo, both bounced back.

So I sat outside in hide and shock. Was I there that night to grab his riches with the ever gathering pack?. Didn't need to. He had already got hold of three times what was in that castle and given it away to us guild mates and others. You didn't have to ask. we would be going to some dark and deadly place and he would say "what are you wearing and what are you fighting with?" After showing him he would say "That's crap" and hand you some awesome artie's that would take you right up to near all 70s and a serious weapon. A passing comment on thanking him would be "oiy, I don't want to be rezzin you all night"

Watching the jackals scavenge and scatter and tread all over each other in a mad scramble to get part of one of the richest IDOC's this shard has seen in a long time was a real hard thing for me sitting there in hide.
After all the pack rats had left I did cruise around and pick up enough name marked items to represent the characters I have played with and respected all these years. Would have loved to get the statue of him but was not to be.

Don't get me wrong IDOCer's and murderers have always been a part of our OU world, its a game style that suits some. When not a housing space could be found in all our shard the IDOC sitters were many and rapacious. One told me at Brit bank he had earned a car in real life by sitting, raping and replacing IDOCs then selling them to players on EBay for real dollars. He is probably living out his days now in Second Life.

Its tough however to watch an IDOC when its a mate who you know would never let a castle like that go outside death or misadventure. I'm with you Fink, I freaked out, I thought the dude must be dead. Its more like he is off grey nomading with his wife somewhere and his son (Undertaker) who took over with a mate Kev's last two accounts, simply stuffed up and forgot to pay. Either way we are never going to know. I know what I am going to keep believing.

He was a Legendary player in both skill and style. His great castle may be gone and his riches scattered back into the keeps and castles of those who will never have the skill and dedication to earn them for themselves. Sometime, someplace on some vendor a soul seeker named Big Kev will pop up I'm sure. So I say parting hail and well met, Big Kev. Thanks for the memories.

F

Fink

Oh I wasn't freaked out by the IDOC or anything. I thought missecho was saying he died when she said R.I.P.