• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Old account, new miner. Template question

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all... :)

My main account is old (12 yrs) and has chars with lots and lots of high level skills and many soulstones. There's one skill that I have neglected and that is Mining (preferring to buy ore for my Blacksmith), and have decided to have some new fun and get my 60 miner up to GM.

My question is this:

Since I have access to my other char skills that include taming, magery, fighting, etc. - what would you put on a char to keep him protected and focused on mining?

All input will be enjoyed... :)
:scholar:

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi there,

There are many many different options that you can use for both protecting your miner, as well as having a little fun digging up colored ore elementals.

Personally, I have almost always just used my sampire. I swap out anatomy for mining, and go out using gargoyle picks to dig up the elementals for the added ore and crystalline blackrock possibilities. Brings a little excitement to mining, especially if you do it in ilshnar.

Another option that I've seen a few of my friends use is their tamer. Either a dread mare and a couple packies can be used. While the Nightmare and fire beetle combination can have it's benefits as well. I could even see a nice rune beetle being a fair companion while out and about.

So many options, really just depends on how you choose to play it.

G

Gowron

I use archery with mine. I'm not a fan of taming because shadow ellies don't take damage from pets or summons (at least that's how I've been led to believe). I'm not sure if copper and valorite have those issues as well. I'm not sure about the melee weapons because copper and valorite have reflect damage, and a few have some pretty hard punching.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Valorite have all the abilities of ALL of the lesser ore eles.

The pet/summons/spell immunity of the Shadow (earthquake is one of the few damaging spells that work)
The Damage Reflect of the Copper
The Ranged attack of the Bronze
The Strength of the Gold & the resists of the Agapite (or is it the other way around?)
The ability to break items that don't have an "Insured", "Blessed" or "Cursed" tag, of the Verite.

Note, though, that you can do damage to shadows and valorites by provoing other wild creatures on them, or by having them chase you to an area with blue spawns (that's why many feel the best place to mine for valorite and shadow eles are near sacrifice or spirituality in Ilshenar, as you can run to the Meer or the Oaks champ spawn, and let them kill it for you, then you loot, if you can't handle it).

The best weapon against the coppers & valorites is a fast, low-damage weapon (if you use a slayer, you want to use an earth elemental slayer for all other types, but either the Elemental super slayer (double, instead of triple) or no slayer at all against copper or valorite, to prevent a suicidal creature attack/yours reflected combo).

Archer works good, but you got to make distance.
Melee works better, but you best have a high-resist suit.
Tamer is ok, as long as you aren't going after shadow eles or valorite eles.

Axiam: note that the Vollem from the SA bonus gift crystal can replace the nightmare in the Nightmare/Fire Beetle combo for non-tamers, as it's literally a reskinned nightmare that can't be ridden, and no taming skill needed to own. Plus, it's bonded and can be rezzed, unlike the crafted Vollem (golem). So, you can have the firepower of a fully trained Vollem (nightmare) and a fully trained Fire Beetle, in addition to your weapon skill of choice on any flavor of warrior miner.

You can also play around a bit with equipment and make a template that is dedicated. My main blacksmith has 120 Smith, 100 mining, and about 600 points of combat skills (tactics, anatomy, healing, chivalry, parrying and macing, with the 120 macing being all real skill - I could actually have modified 120 by replacing my jewelry and have even more). A similar template with no smithing could add bushido (replacing chivalry with necro is optional)

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my blacksmith:
120 Smithing
115 Taming
110 Lore
110 Magery
100 Mining
100 x
65 Veterinary

If I'm hunting ore elementals I soulstone on 100 tactics and carry a mage weapon, earth elemental slayer heavy xbow. I put on +magery ring and bracelet to bring my magery back to 100. I'll occasionally forget to soulstone on the tactics and leave either arms lore or meditation. It just takes a bit longer, but even the valorite eles are no big threat then.

The taming, lore, and vet generally aren't necessary or useful while mining, but I don't need to take them off to be effective killing ore elementals. If you're going to Ilsh (I always mine in Fel) you may benefit from heal/anat or meditation instead. I'm planning to start mining for saltpeter so they may come in handy for defensive purposes there.

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Axiam: note that the Vollem from the SA bonus gift crystal can replace the nightmare in the Nightmare/Fire Beetle combo for non-tamers, as it's literally a reskinned nightmare that can't be ridden, and no taming skill needed to own. Plus, it's bonded and can be rezzed, unlike the crafted Vollem (golem). So, you can have the firepower of a fully trained Vollem (nightmare) and a fully trained Fire Beetle, in addition to your weapon skill of choice on any flavor of warrior miner.
This is what I do when I expect danger. My tamer is a lame fighter, but I can bring both the fire beetle and the crystal vollem and they can help take out anything but the valorite ellie.

The only time I take on valorite ellies is when I'm mining in the Abyss, in the area where the fairy dragons spawn. When the coast is clear and only the fairy drags are out and about, I will use the garg pickaxe against anything and everything, including valorite ellies, and when I spawn a val ellie I lead it into the fairy dragons who make quick work of it.