• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ok... what in the heck did they do to the drop rates?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix's statement might seem a little contradictory, I admit. But then he says they didn't make any changes. Turning down drops outside of Eodon, thus penalizing old content, is illogical and poor game management. Tuning up drops in Eodon would encourage more play there...not that I think they did that either. :confused:

Only @Kyronix can settle this.
The last major change to global loot generation was way back in Pub 86 when we rolled out "shame loot" game wide. The goal of that change was to address concerns over some of the negative properties as well as normalizing loot distribution game wide. We receive a lot of feedback along the lines of "I wish they would do something to [insert favorite hunting spot here] to make it worth while to hunt there again. In order to address that concern, "shame-style" loot was rolled out game wide. As a result the unique nature of the drops in Shame were not so unique anymore, nor, as the individual who asked the question pointed out from their experience, as frequent.

My point was that you cannot expect one hunting spot to remain the bees knees forever. We try to limit power creep as much as possible, but after almost 19 years we have to be realistic about the natural evolution of content to keep it enticing.

When we released Eodon we did not nerf loot outside of Eodon, and in fact the global loot in Eodon works the same as global loot in the rest of the world. When it comes to specialty drops, such as artifacts, there is a hodgepodge of drop mechanics that is the result of nearly 19 years worth of Devs implementing content. None of those were changed with the introduction of the Time of Legends.