• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oh SCORN, how could you.....

G

….…I do believe I have the experience as a “Siege Vendor” to know when someone is taking a cheap shot of another. I agree, I’ve been away and honestly have not followed the boards, but this just irked the he## outta me.

If your gonna run a vendor shop, have the balls to create your own crafts.

“Your” wares, trapped boxes, runebooks, etc etc that you’ve dyed orange, funny how it all has Maleeka’s craftsman mark on em.

Don’t run a shop of others crafters goods. There is this unwritten rule of honor between vendors of which you obviously could care less about. Sell your own crafts. Sell you pvp collections, but DO NOT buy up a vendors craft goods & resell them as your wares.

Siege Perilous player base is group of UO player base that always had a higher level of class than other shards.

I may have little pull with the player base of Siege, but I would ask that those who frequent this “fronted shop of vile & filth”, honor those who spent their time to create the craftsman that support Siege. Even the deepest of reds have honored the crafters code. Please again step up and support those who have supported the Siege community for years, not weeks.

Maleeka, you’re a lady of honor, it saddens me to see your hard work defiled.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i thought i saw she was quiting??? maybe she gave him the items to sell off???

M

Maleeka

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not quit the game...just closed the shop and no I did not give away anything. *smiles*

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not quit the game...just closed the shop and no I did not give away anything. *smiles*

[/ QUOTE ]

thats for sure

*looks for a new shop*

G

as a shop owner cybernickel what do you really care what happens with the items once its bought off the vendor as long as its bought off the vendor right?

if he found a nitch buying and selling then its called being a middle man and plenty of other people have done it in the past, and when i see someone selling something below price then i often do buy it and throw it right back on my vendor with a bump in pricage cause i know itll sell in 1-2 days only cost me maybe few 100 gp in vendor few and ill have made maybe 5k maybe up to 100k+.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

as a shop owner cybernickel what do you really care what happens with the items once its bought off the vendor as long as its bought off the vendor right?

if he found a nitch buying and selling then its called being a middle man and plenty of other people have done it in the past, and when i see someone selling something below price then i often do buy it and throw it right back on my vendor with a bump in pricage cause i know itll sell in 1-2 days only cost me maybe few 100 gp in vendor few and ill have made maybe 5k maybe up to 100k+.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is why siege is the way it is, the ole no big deal policy
least some try to correct their wrongs

like ud say gg its the principal of it

G

There's always been a difference of opinion over resellers.

For those of us who keep vendors to provide a service, rather than to make our fortune, the issue usually isn't just that they are parasites profiting from our hard work as crafters.
The main problem is that a re-seller will buy out your entire stock, leaving none for anyone who genuinely needs your product.

You try very hard to build a reputation for reliability, for being the place people can come to and be sure of finding what they need. Then a re-seller discovers your shop and destroys that.

It's very hard to keep up a motto of 'no empty bags' when someone is clearing them out as fast as you can fill them.

I'm 99% sure that Maleeka has the same attitude to vendoring that I have. It's nice that they provide a steady income, but their main purpose is to provide for the needs of our fellow players.

Being hit consistently by a reseller is disheartening, and if this is the reason Maleeka is closing her shop I'm in sympathy, it would upset me enough to do the same if it was happening to me.

G

i can understand why he would do it, when there is a profit to be made then it might as well be you doing it or someone else will.

and puffy tsk tsk shut your mouth talking about "the ole no big deal policy" when you havent the biggest ole no big deal policy on the shard scum.

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

For those of us who keep vendors to provide a service, rather than to make our fortune, the issue usually isn't just that they are parasites profiting from our hard work as crafters.
The main problem is that a re-seller will buy out your entire stock, leaving none for anyone who genuinely needs your product.

You try very hard to build a reputation for reliability, for being the place people can come to and be sure of finding what they need. Then a re-seller discovers your shop and destroys that.

It's very hard to keep up a motto of 'no empty bags' when someone is clearing them out as fast as you can fill them.

I'm 99% sure that Maleeka has the same attitude to vendoring that I have. It's nice that they provide a steady income, but their main purpose is to provide for the needs of our fellow players.

Being hit consistently by a reseller is disheartening, and if this is the reason Maleeka is closing her shop I'm in sympathy, it would upset me enough to do the same if it was happening to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally. People who condone this sort of thing certainly don't understand the work that goes into keeping a vendor stocked daily.

G

Well, here's something you might understand. Resellers push prices up, because usually the only way to stop one is to price your items high enough that there's no profit for them in buying from you.

You set a price that you consider fair, taking into account materials used and time spent. Then the reseller arrives and you have to put your prices up, sometimes double or more.

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally. People who condone this sort of thing certainly don't understand the work that goes into keeping a vendor stocked daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had experience in this as I had a huge vendor many years ago that I works so hard to keep stocked and give my steady customers a good deal... But my good deals were taken advantage of by many and I mean many other vendor shops until I realized what was happening.. They would come in and wipe out my stock while my hard earned customers would come through disappointed I could not meet their needs... So to stop this practice.. I had to raise my prices to make it unprofitable for them to clean me out... and I kept my customers because they trusted me to keep restocked...

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

i can understand why he would do it, when there is a profit to be made then it might as well be you doing it or someone else will.

and puffy tsk tsk shut your mouth talking about "the ole no big deal policy" when you havent the biggest ole no big deal policy on the shard scum.

[/ QUOTE ]

storytime... ive turned over a new leaf apprently u missed the memo.

S

Sir Ha-ward

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful there goodguy, didnt you just come back from a vacation?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
So care to clarify the situation? Some people are getting a bit heated over this .

G

<blockquote><hr>

Some people are getting a bit heated over this

[/ QUOTE ]

Like sands through the hourglass, etcetcetc...

C

Chessy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes me laugh even more is the fact that this is the "Vet" shard. LoL.

OMG is there anything these crybabies will not whine and cry about....

vendors/tamers/rot... any one else starting to see the pattern here... ROFL's

G

I may be way off base with this but cant you ban players from a vendor shop?
It may not be simple to do so but, if you were able to would that solve the problem?

Just brain storming on it here, I know its not the siege way but every once in a while I like to work towards a solution rather than a spinning wheel of griping.
If that cannot happen any other ideas?

G

you can only ban someone from your house/shop if they are on the premises. How many siege shops do you actually go inside rather than shop from outside?

As a crafter, with no fighting char, or ability to use one even if I had, there's nothing I could do if a reseller did this to me other than put the prices up, which would penalise my regular customers, or shut up shop.

Apparently, as a 'vet' I shouldn't get annoyed at something like that. I should suck it up, uncomplaining and just work harder to supply the idle parasite that's using me like a slave? Sorry, but I'd close down before I did that, supplying friends through meets arranged on icq.

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bags are being emptied that quickly, your prices are too low. I understand that you want to give your customers a good deal or sometimes shop owners just aren't aware of current pricing, but this has been a common practice in game and in the real world. The opposite can be said as well. If an item remains on your vendor too long, the price is probably set too high.

IMO, it's just as bad to set prices too low. I know people who used to sell repair deeds for 20 gold each and I felt that was undermining my profit margin to the point where I no longer stocked repair deeds. It simply wasn't profitable, so why bother? The result for a while, was that people had difficulty finding repair deeds once that supplier ran out of stock. IMO.. That type of situation isn't good for us either.

M

Maleeka

There will be those that understand and those that don't. That's life. Every shop owner is now aware and can make the appropriate decision regarding their goods. Mine were not the only items being resold and if you're a vendor owner and would like the location of the shop, you can PM me.

On a lighter note, my customers and friends know they can just ICQ or PM me and they will have what they need. *smiles*

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had experience in this as I had a huge vendor many years ago that I works so hard to keep stocked and give my steady customers a good deal... But my good deals were taken advantage of by many and I mean many other vendor shops until I realized what was happening.. They would come in and wipe out my stock while my hard earned customers would come through disappointed I could not meet their needs... So to stop this practice.. I had to raise my prices to make it unprofitable for them to clean me out... and I kept my customers because they trusted me to keep restocked...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it... if your vendor is selling out, would that not mean you are helping in meeting someone's needs?

Do you folks understand that bestbuy doesn't manufacture a single product? nor does wal-mart. They buy the product from a manufacturue, then sell to the consumer.

If a reseller is buying from you, then selling to the consumer, how is that any different from the consumer buying from you? The customer gets what they want, and your revenue is the same. Someone else just manages to make a bit of profit by using good marketing or salesmanship. Its all part of an economy.

That is actually a goal you should strive to achieve- not having to do any of your own sales. If you can build a network of affiliates and resellers, you do not need to spend as much time marketing or selling yourself, and instead you can focus on production, reliability, and quality. You do not lose any income, and your goods are still floating into the consumerbase. In fact, you could even decrease your costs (increasing your profits) by skipping the vendor part all together, sell directly to the reseller in bulk. If they are willing to pay your original retail price then what is there to lose?

G

<blockquote><hr>

There will be those that understand and those that don't. That's life. Every shop owner is now aware and can make the appropriate decision regarding their goods. Mine were not the only items being resold and if you're a vendor owner and would like the location of the shop, you can PM me.

On a lighter note, my customers and friends know they can just ICQ or PM me and they will have what they need. *smiles*

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes wonder if the UO vendor system, despite its charms, has really outlived its usefulness. So many of us make all of our arrangements outside of the game now, for various reasons, it destroys the immersion &amp; fun of the virtual world just that much more. I wish there was a better in-game system for contacting merchants/players and arranging for delivery &amp; purchases, but I guess we work with what we have.

-Skylark

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes me laugh even more is the fact that this is the "Vet" shard. LoL.

OMG is there anything these crybabies will not whine and cry about....

vendors/tamers/rot... any one else starting to see the pattern here... ROFL's

[/ QUOTE ]

I think buying low and selling high is part of the attritubes of a businessman and when a vendor see this happening to his stock... only option to keep himself from working himself to death to keep his shop restocked and his customers coming back for their needs... is to raise the prices...or simply take orders... No biggy...problem solved...

rofl at you for wasting your time rofl at us ... silly boy. hahahaha

P

prostkr

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bags are being emptied that quickly, your prices are too low. I understand that you want to give your customers a good deal or sometimes shop owners just aren't aware of current pricing, but this has been a common practice in game and in the real world. The opposite can be said as well. If an item remains on your vendor too long, the price is probably set too high.

IMO, it's just as bad to set prices too low. I know people who used to sell repair deeds for 20 gold each and I felt that was undermining my profit margin to the point where I no longer stocked repair deeds. It simply wasn't profitable, so why bother? The result for a while, was that people had difficulty finding repair deeds once that supplier ran out of stock. IMO.. That type of situation isn't good for us either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kat hit the "nail on the head" with her post

I dont bother to sell half of the stuff i could, just for the simple fact that the second i seem to make a profit from it some other joker is going to do for half what i was selling it for.

Perhaps the free market crafters need to go to order only sales? We have several very dedicated crafters who put there heart and soul into selling there wares.....this kind of buy/resell is not going to make them wanna stick around and do it for long. The consumer needs to realize that buying the cheapest thing you can find isnt helping out your fellow player or even yourself.....

G

Maybe we need a way to allow a discount to our best or wanted customers.

Lets say we got this options on the vendor
[] allow a discount to Friends (of the house) __%
[] allow a discount to guild __%
[] allow a discount to alliance __%

This would allow crafters to sell cheaper to friends, guilds or alliance

I would like to add
* target customer you want to allow a discount
* set customer discount __%

But the customer discount will need a list of good customers on each vendor and that may add to many data to the game.

I

imported_MoonglowMerchant

<blockquote><hr>

….…I do believe I have the experience as a “Siege Vendor” to know when someone is taking a cheap shot of another. I agree, I’ve been away and honestly have not followed the boards, but this just irked the he## outta me.

If your gonna run a vendor shop, have the balls to create your own crafts.

“Your” wares, trapped boxes, runebooks, etc etc that you’ve dyed orange, funny how it all has Maleeka’s craftsman mark on em.

Don’t run a shop of others crafters goods. There is this unwritten rule of honor between vendors of which you obviously could care less about. Sell your own crafts. Sell you pvp collections, but DO NOT buy up a vendors craft goods &amp; resell them as your wares.

Siege Perilous player base is group of UO player base that always had a higher level of class than other shards.

I may have little pull with the player base of Siege, but I would ask that those who frequent this “fronted shop of vile &amp; filth”, honor those who spent their time to create the craftsman that support Siege. Even the deepest of reds have honored the crafters code. Please again step up and support those who have supported the Siege community for years, not weeks.

Maleeka, you’re a lady of honor, it saddens me to see your hard work defiled.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are seven vendors at the little Moonglow shop.

One sells HCI jewels. One sells 1/2's. One sells 0/3's.

There is never much stock, just enough so that if someone needed one they could get one.

There is a vendor selling mage and necro spellbooks, mage and necro regs, and a few arcane pieces.

The spellbooks are re-sells. Moonglow graveyard and the trees nearby are hangouts for new players. The books are stocked so that new players have an opportunity to get those items without risking Luna or some other far away shop.
There isn't a big margin in re-selling spellbooks that sell once every 2 weeks you know?

There is also a vendor for armor. That armor is loot. It is overpriced but like the apple vendor next to it (also re-sells) those vendors started as extra storage. They still have that function to an extent.

Finally, the trapped box vendor, again re-sells. Again, that was primarily storage. Some sold occasionally, but not often. Those particular boxes have been taken down now since Maleeka isn't making them anymore. They are stored in another house.

Sorry if you take offense to reselling.

Those vendors have always been a service to the community rather than a way to make gold.

G

*smiles*

Well now Cyber.............depends sometimes whom doing what when and well, there are ways to get back one's own control of their inventory *to some degree* sometimes.

Sight for example at Mythic Treasures, Aeric let me set up an alchemy vendor cuz he was getting tired doing em all and I was gm'ing my Hughes to do so, thus made sense let me do some of em give Aeric a break. When I first opened up my vendors for finally gming alchemy here at Mythic Treasures, I stuffed them vendors up full. Lo and behold, I felt I would price them a bit less than all my neighors out there ie Ody Sid even Kat's vendors as my own introductory prices temporarily just to say.. another new grandmaster alchemist is on Siege.

Guess whom bought those first kegs of mine..SID next door slapped em on his if he was out or had no time and for his prices. I then got Miranda out to *engrave* all my kegs made by Hughes of Gray...to try to ID em where they were going....some few I seen ON other vendors shops WITH my engraving some just RE ENGRAVED EM.
In the end I priced MINE same as everyone else in the hood but twas comic as my introductory pricing even Aeric said too low, I said just for fun temp, they will COME they will BUY...traffic will hit, I will be in business and I was...and then after folks knew another alchemist was ON this shard... each keg went UP in price comparable to everyone elses no more (Introductory lower prices on full kegs).

Venture to say IF I reopened em all again.......every one of my Hughes vendors be they bombs apples or kegs and bottles be busy as hell again..at the ongoing prices of everyone else's kegs but it still is a pain in the arse to spend the TIME to make up stuff if it is bought out and resold too often ya just opt to make it for those whom ya wish then privately at times. *less hassle* still get income. But for the most part I usually try to price like nearly every one else does cuz I dont make it all for others to resale for lots more gp, all the time either.

But I also am logical, just yesterday I seen a vendor with Addon deeds/shipwreck paintings for 20 gp on *that other shard lots of items, for chicken feed prices............DOH ! Did not take a rocket scientist to tell me buy ALL their elven forges smithed forges beds looms for 100gp EACH on a shard where they get 5k or more in LUNA ..and I sell em all in Moonglow for *normal prices ie less than Luna malls but way more than those that give em away* TIME is money too...saved me TIME to buy someone pricing their addons so cheaply..........in all wood types TO PUT on MY own vendors for *normal prices* and if someone buys these now from ME that owns a luna mall well I still getting 400gp to 2k Per addon OVER the price of 100gp I found them for elsewhere.............

Hard to dictate merchant logic coming and going I do not like my stuff bought and resold *depends on what it may be though* yet I too will buy stuff I see some price way too cheaply for the time involved and resale em for more..yet never as high as LUNA !

Guess I am a built in capitalist yet artesan combo ..some things just logically dictate...it is a bargain they giving it away..buy it ..resale it.

There are times I myself will even put vet rewards on vendors for *LESS* than Luna malls charge ...knowing they WILL buy em cuz no one else would want the 20th lizardman statue.............
I know they hunting for em and I need to get RID of em ..maybe I found it for 20k sold it for 150k ....they resold it for 475k ...anyone dumb enough to buy a liz statue for 475 k probably is too lazy to shop out of luna or too dumb to know *look around* get a bargain. duno.

IF something takes me lots of TIME to make like alchemy I myself dont sell it ever too cheap.......tis damn time consuming. . yet it may not be as high as some mega malls prices. I guess if they still buy mine for hardly any profit ..soo be it............ and my GM stuff as armor or carpentry though...I get damn pissed to see MY MARK esp if tailored on someone elses vendor cuz they are NOT my gm tailor or better mark............ *I AM* and I would venture to guess most feel that way too..OUR MARK is OURS but then we should price em to make sure others dont resale our mark.

I had a shop pull that on the GM mark of Queen Zen back in the day..they wanted to feature it cuz it was popular but NEVER asked my permission, I bought all my stuff back and tossed books all over their porch...........if you wish the TRUE GM MARK OF QUEEN ZEN.......my mall is HERE do not buy from those that resale my tailoring they could be sellin you WORN armor..buy from me you know it has max uses PERIOD better safe for ye gp than sorry !

IT worked they bought ONLY from the vendor that had the right to that mark for leather armor.......cuz it is all still buyer beware esp tailoring smithing..those marks belong to their creator whom will be selling the tunics weps unused ..ya see a gm or better mark sold elsewhere it may just be looted crap in need of repairs may be in tip top shape even..better to buy those items tailored smithed wares directly ... FROM the crafter not from "second hand" stores !

No real way to prevent it I guess but one can fight for their *mark* too up the prices or picket and boycott the shop or shops taking ye mark to sell for more.. I have done both picket boycott and upped my prices depends on what items were/are to begin with.

I have NO vendors up atm on Siege, people do get tired worn out if they strongly believe in restocking then they DO that and sooner or later time for a long arse break till the fever hits again to...........slap up vendors cuz merchant crafting is in their blood.

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it... if your vendor is selling out, would that not mean you are helping in meeting someone's needs?

Do you folks understand that bestbuy doesn't manufacture a single product? nor does wal-mart. They buy the product from a manufacturue, then sell to the consumer.

If a reseller is buying from you, then selling to the consumer, how is that any different from the consumer buying from you? The customer gets what they want, and your revenue is the same. Someone else just manages to make a bit of profit by using good marketing or salesmanship. Its all part of an economy.

That is actually a goal you should strive to achieve- not having to do any of your own sales. If you can build a network of affiliates and resellers, you do not need to spend as much time marketing or selling yourself, and instead you can focus on production, reliability, and quality. You do not lose any income, and your goods are still floating into the consumerbase. In fact, you could even decrease your costs (increasing your profits) by skipping the vendor part all together, sell directly to the reseller in bulk. If they are willing to pay your original retail price then what is there to lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you but at that time I was having fun competing with other vendor houses to have the best vendor house and lots of customers... really was not about being the field hand/sweat shop..
... That was just the hard work to achieve the reputation of favorite vendor shops of the shard..

I

imported_Goron

fair enough. My eyes see $$$, not happy customers
So to me, having my stock sell out every day to one person who uses it all by him/herself is the exact same thing as having my stock sell out every day to 100 different people is the exact same thing as having my stock sell out every day to one person who sells it in turn to 100 people. I experience no difference in any way other than direct relationship with customers.

G

*giggles*

Some of us do not see gp but other things first.
Comic example some of my best created smoke bombs were bought up by them few, daily oft 4x daily restocking oft 4x a day, whom dirtnapped your faction peeps ............ie my alliance ! HEHE My thought was not on gp..........nope took said vendor down to shut down THEIR SUPPLYLINE of killin yall ! HAHA Aint all about gp sometimes sir !

I can put it back up again.. just to see all me KOC customers/faction, just kick yalls butt ! HAHA

Laughs I see customers ...over gp no matter their tags or hues but sometimes comically I see nothing but irony ! HAHA Now Ima just making bombs and apples in our supply house........ya get em FREE there btw Goron !

Irony makes me chuckle.........I still have me customers just no visable vendors ! one way or another Ima still crafting just not as rich as I was.
barter and trades works too.

G

<blockquote><hr>

you can only ban someone from your house/shop if they are on the premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, this is incorrect.

Many's the time I've banned folks not even standing on a public lot, just running by, and it works just fine.

Try it, you'll see...

I

imported_Krystal

I have a vendor shop almost same setup as ur shop, where people dont need to come inside to buy. I can ban people that are outside my shop pretty far. people dont need to come inside the shop to be banned:)

G

hmm, either I'm misremembering or it's been changed. Banning someone isn't something I do very often, I have to be severely provoked to do it.

People who have killed me, or tried to kill me, at the tower aren't banned.

Thanks for the information. I'll remember it in future.