• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

odd question about durability

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so ive asked this of a couple long time players but no one seems to know so ill ask here.
i know what the bottom durability is on an item, the one at the bottom of the gump that shows like 100/255, but what is the top durability?
the one that you can imbue onto items?
the other day i was making a luck shield (just a cheap one) and i had room to kill and ran out of stuff to put on it, so for giggles i hit the durability button and cranked it up to 900%.

so now i have a shield that has 900% Durability on it.

so what is this 2nd durability?

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always assumed the % was how fast (slower to be more exact) it loses the points of (bottom line) durability?

now ya got me wanting to test if high numbers do some sort of "self-repair".

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it impact initial durability - I.e a base item with 15/15 durability turns into like 135/135 with 900% increase to durability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a very good question. I always believed that the % Durability had to do with how "strong" an item was and it's rate of breakdown... as in losing the XYZ/255... so how easily it became less durable. So if you had an antique item... and upped it's durability % would that make it less fragile?

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I think the old durabilities (Durable, Substantial, Massive, Fortified and Indestructible) were converted to 20%, 50%, 70%, 100% and 120% after AoS. Then Self Repair (1-5) came on top of that. But I don't know exactly how it works.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If I remember correctly without looking this will increase the base durability by the % indicated

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
example you have a shield with 50 durability base and you hit add 50% it will then be 75 durability....just tested this

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it impact initial durability - I.e a base item with 15/15 durability turns into like 135/135 with 900% increase to durability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this. a pain when you have a good item like a shield, but dura mod takes up a slot. if you lower it by imbue itll kill durability on the item.

its basically a worthless mod, or an alternative to powder of fort that takes up one mod.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
My mage wears a shield with Durability +30% and it has only Durability 35/35, but it has never taken any damage.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
my mage uses a awesome shield with 150 dur and never loses because he has no parry or anything

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the old durabilities (Durable, Substantial, Massive, Fortified and Indestructible) were converted to 20%, 50%, 70%, 100% and 120% after AoS. Then Self Repair (1-5) came on top of that. But I don't know exactly how it works.
UOGuide has a good run down on self-repair:
http://www.uoguide.com/Self_Repair

before the 255 cap we had tons of shields and such with over 255, like 380 and the like...but there is seldom a practical reason to use these items as they are often too old to imbue, whereas new items with over 255 are the byproduct of a mod and--as has been said--kills a mod slot.

the idea would be use a 380 etc. till 254/254, as you cannot powder past 255 I don't believe...whereas for training purposes you can now make self repair 6 or better in any fashion, such as a shield, a bokuto, etc., and that's usually more useful than anything else...but if your base dur. can't last 60 seconds then it's trash, so a hat w/ 15 dur and self repair 6 would be iffy vs. large groups (parry training).

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my mage uses a awesome shield with 150 dur and never loses because he has no parry or anything
Is your character a human? Unless it's changed recently, my human characters with 0 parry have 20 from JOAT, which causes their shields to take a little damage now and then.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Is your character a human? Unless it's changed recently, my human characters with 0 parry have 20 from JOAT, which causes their shields to take a little damage now and then.
No, she's an elf, with 0.0 parrying.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
elf so yes with joat would occasionally take a hit