• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nudity, death, and thievery!!! Oh, yes... and bagball. [WARNING: many, many pics!]

G

Grond

The night of the game began like many others, with a friendly gathering at the Yew Merry Center for All. More orcs were in attendance than usual, and there was an expectant tension in the air, but the banter continued as normal.

Dor locked down a rune to the playing arena

while the crowd amused themselves in the usual ways.

I took a quick look at the playing field before the crowd arrived. The staff had done a fine job of setting up an orderly field!

(Gen arrived shortly after I, no doubt to ensure that no mischief befell the field as a result of my presence…)

Soon the crowd had arrived! Two teams assembled on the field – Nogra’s Nobs, clad in black, consisted of Nug, Bortrak, Zamlug Tork, and Mak’Gog; the Sonoma Scrum, clad in red, was comprised of DAX, Dor, Jacopo, and Krowe Darkeye.

A fair number of spectators were present, including some applicants for the recently-opened positions with the Sonoma Stratics reporting team...
And the bagball itself stood ready for the game to begin!

The game began, and it was a heated battle for the bag! The early moments set the tone of much of the rest of the game… The bag was on the side near the Scrum’s goal, where the Nobs had the advantage, and the teams and individual players began to shout their battle cries. Nogra’s Nobs were oft heard chanting, “Nogra! Nogra!”, while Dor of Sonoma inspired the Scrum with her rallying cry, “Man, I suck!”

Team leader Dax summed up the Scrum’s view of the game early on:

“frickinhard”

But things weren’t easy for the Nobs, either, as when the ball disappeared from view for more than a few seconds, more-or-less-trustworthy referee Miraz called a penalty!

As the game halted while Miraz named the offense, famed looter Neutral Galad took the opportunity to shamelessly get some, uh, "exposure" from the press.

In spite of the Nobs’ protest that they weren’t holding the ball, that it was just behind someone, Miraz’ ruling stood. Apparently even in bagball, it’s futile to argue with the referee.

After a friendly foot to the referee’s groin,

the Nobs returned to their side of the playing field and the game resumed with the Scrum in control of the bag! It wasn’t long before the Nobs had control of the bag again, though.

After some back-and-forth tussle with the ball, during which a Galad-inspired Merlinda streaked across the field

and Dor explained the reasoning behind her rallying cry,

the ball neared the Scrum’s goal,

and the Nobs SCORED!!!

With the first point going to the orcs, the Nobs were in high spirits, while the Scrum cursed the Nobs and their swiftness.

“Nograaaaa!!!! NogrAAAA!” “Gah!! Damn you orcs and your no lag!!”

Meanwhile, a naked Merlinda chased an equally clothing-bereft Galad across the field again… Whatever these two had in mind, I’m sure it wasn’t bagball.

As Miraz gave the count to resume play, one of the soon-to-be-fledling-reporters explained Galad’s and Merlinda’s odd behavior:

“It’s the half-time show. They are early.”

Play resumed, the spectators running back and forth to follow the action (since we couldn’t see the whole field at once), and Galad shamelessly plugged his web site while streaking across the field again.

Before we knew it, it was halftime. Lich King (shown here in purple) posed what I believe to be the most important question of the game:

“Where are the orc cheerleaders?”

… on the other hand, I’m not sure I want to know.

Halftime was nearly as exciting as the game itself. Flip of LuT was caught loitering near the bagball

and chased away while Amid DeMoola of DP continued to loiter.

The bagball was dismantled! Amid was accused, but protested innocence. As the gaming staff scrambled to restore order to the game, the halftime show continued… GK Slayer suggested a team change,

(him alone vs. all of the orcs)
Dax asked for halftime entertainment, which was immediately provided by Merlinda dancing the can-can and Miraz joining in with the Hoky-Pokey, as GK Slayer tried to provoke the orcish team members into a brawl.

A good time was had by all, except perhaps those trying to maintain order and those who had to put the bagball back together for the second half.

Once the bagball was whole once again, Miraz cleared the field of spectators, and after a friendly kick to the referee by the Nobs,

the players took their places.

With a score of 1-0 in favor of the Nobs, the second half began!

Again in the second half, the Nobs seemed to dominate the game. One possible reason was given by a spectator:

“urks are gud about muvn bags that dun belong to em”

It wasn’t long before the Nobs had moved the bag once again to the Scrum’s goal… but wait! The bag went out of bounds!!!

True to form, the Nobs ignored the violation and put the bag in the goal,

but our trusty referee quickly put things right. Trinsic paladins Lazarus and Orville teleported in to enforce the referee’s decision!

Apparently the paladins’ assistance wasn’t desired; the ref called foul on them,

and the Nobs helpfully disposed of the unwanted interference.

The game resumed, with the Scrum in charge of the bag.

The Scrum soon had the bagball onto the Nobs’ side of the field, while the confused spectators tried to sort out their corpses and the rules to the game.

The Nobs quickly regained control of the bag, and before the corpses of the guards had cooled, had it down on the Scrum’s end of the field,

across the goal line,

and SCORED!!!

With the score 2-0 in favor of the Nobs, the orcs one again took up their chants of “Nogra!”, while the Scrum took up their traditional rallying cry of “Argh!”

and Dor inspired them once again with her slightly-modified personal rallying cry “I STILL suck!”

With the bag in play again, it looked as if the Scrum might be making progress,

but the Nobs soon had the bag at the Scrum’s goal again.

The Nobs thought they had a goal, but the ref denied it, explaining that the bag had to first touch the finish line and then be placed into the goal.

Tensions were high as the game resumed and insults were hurled.

“fluwur sniffurs!!”

At the next face-off, the Nobs got a bit of a head start, resulting in another penalty.

Dax later explained that he’d had a premonition of the Nobs’ play style:

“How did I know the orks would have a lot of penalties??”

The Scrum had control of the ball once more, and were making their way to the Nobs’ goal, when… TIME RAN OUT! The ref called time, and the game was over.

Final score: Nogra’s Nobs 2, Sonoma Scrum 0.

URKS AR DA WINNARS!!!

This wasn’t the end of the story, though. Since this was Sonoma’s first ever bagball tournament, much remained to be done. The Scrum discussed their strategy in preparing for the next game,

while the Nobs wandered around asking the questions near and dear to any orcish heart.

Lich King offered his advice on post-game celebration,

“Sacrifice the winners! Only the strongest for our gods!”
while congratulations went all around and fans and players alike began celebrating in traditional Sonoma fashion.

The soon-to-be-fledgling-reporters finished their discussion of the amazing inspiration offered by Stratics’ own Pluffina,

and then began interviewing players.

Although Scrum team captain Dax tried to influence the press,
“put in the news that the orks cheated,”
I’m sure that the reporters remain unaffected and will report everything objectively.

Spectators offered some explanation of the orcs’ clear superiority on the field

while the orcs began to wind up their part of the celebration

and describe to the soon-to-be-reporters what changes they’d make in the game.

(As a side note, Galad explained the entry requirements for LuT:

"Galad?"

"how would one join LuT?"

“you have to sleep with a lot of barwenches”)

Dor arranged for a referee for next week’s game

while the party continued unabated.

Miraz offered what were perhaps the wisest words spoken during the entire event:

One of the orcs – I couldn’t tell who – explained one of the difficulties of bagball:

And Dax once again summarized the Scrum’s viewpoint of the game:

“that game was frickin HARD”

But wait! Amidst the celebration… thievery! LuT’s very own Flip was noticed snooping around the referee’s bag…

and then attempting to steal from it!

A good-natured chase ensued,

resulting in the good-natured death of the would-be thief.

After all was said and done, the evening was a tremendous success! A game was played, many Sosarians were entertained, a fine tradition was established, and, in the words of Dor of Sonoma,

“It worked! *whew*”

*edit* Corrected the references to the 'guards' to be 'paladins', per Galad's expert advice

G

That was absolutely fantastic Grond!! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif The story of the game told in a selection of excellent pictures!

P

Pluffina

*clones herself 50 thousand times, goes and fills up Wrigley Field Stadium, and then 50 thousand me's single handedly do the wave while screaming "GROND GROND GROND"*

OMG that was GREAT!

Love,
Grondfan

PS OMG STRATICS sems to be LOADING! YAH YAH!

G

Grond

*faints at receiving attention from Pluffy*
*revives and blushes*
*looks around the room for another 'Grond'*
*looks around warily for Bob*
Er... Why, thank you, Pluffy!!! Aw, shucks, I'll bet you say that to all of the stunningly handsome and semi-literate miners who're named after both a cartoon strip character and a hammer from the works of Tolkien who post to the Sonoma Stratics forums...

(Say... You're not just buttering me up to encourage me to keep posting so you can go the way of the other Sonoma Stratics reporters, are you? I swear, if you stop being a reporter, I'll... I'll... I'll stop reading your news articles! I mean it!)

*mutters something about wimpy ex-reporters who put real life as higher priority than the game God obviously intended them to play... and write about*

D

Dor of Sonoma

*wipes tears of laughter*

That was such huge fun last night! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for being there and chronicling it for us...and so thoughtfully providing the spectator stands. *grins*

V

Vladimir Taltos

Grond...

*applaudes with a bagball clap*

I was moved to tears... No wait, that was my lunch... Never-the-less, it was well done... Keep up the good work... And please no fainting... Oh... That wouldnt be your thumb I saw in the seventh scribeshot down, would it...?

Vladimir Taltos

G

cool /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
maybe i join in next round

who wants to join the "Ghost Team"? hehe

N

Neutral_Galad

Correction: those weren't guards enforcing the rules upon the orcs, they were paladins from Trinsic /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

Bah! Pluff says that to anyone who can write such highly amusing stories. And she really goes overboard when they are accompanied by great screenshots and ground-scraping humility.

Listen to those of us who aren't so easily impressed. YA DONE GREAT!

Thank you very much!

F

flatscan

Aww i missed it! Thanx for the pic's and recap, looks like it was fun. I'm going to try to make the next one.

D

_Dax_

The Orks cheated I tell you!! They cheated!! They were taking ork steroids! Test them!! Really though it was a fun game once you got past the initial frustrations fo the stupid bag vanishing every time you wanted to pick it up. *grumbles about cheating orks* Good reporting Grond, you got just about all of it, keep it up /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Grond

<blockquote><hr>

I was moved to tears... No wait, that was my lunch...

<hr></blockquote>
Wow! Good job, everyone, the pictures of y'all moved Vladimir's lunch to tears!!!

Dax, that wasn't really reporting, it was more sort of photojournalism. I think we may see some actual reporting in a couple of days from those young wimmin that were writing things down and interviewing the players. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

J

Jewel Blackspot

Fabulous recap Grond! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif You make it look fun. I may need to give it go.. *calls over her shoulder* Jack? Oooh..Jackie Poooo... *smiles*

Yours,
JB

D

Dor of Sonoma

NUG!!!!

You're *back*...and so are the pictures!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!

G

Grond

<blockquote><hr>

..and so are the pictures!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Whups, sorry... I didn't know the pictures had gone anywhere!

Ah, memories...

L

Lady Vixen

<blockquote><hr>

Whups, sorry... I didn't know the pictures had gone anywhere!

[/ QUOTE ]

they had vanished one day when Dor pull the link up for the bagball event. We were all concerned about the lost of the images as they were the article.

Thanks for leaving them for all of us to enjoy, and welcome back to the forum, I have heard people looking for you in the forum here. Dor may have more information on that then I.