• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed Not a Goodbye

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

As many of you have noticed (I appreciate all of the emails checking in on me) I haven’t been around much this month. I wish I could say it was because I was so busy preparing the book event of epicness that I have been hinting at, but sadly that is not the case. Instead of giving a preview of that event story, this morning I regretfully inform you that I am taking a leave from the EM Program.

I’m not sure I can put in words my appreciation for all of the players of Catskills. For five years I have had the privilege of being part of the best community this game has ever seen. Community. It’s a word that is often tossed about, but rarely is it considered beyond a generic meaning. Community to me is, in a sense, an ecology – the recognition that all members have an impact on others. Unlike a natural ecology, however, it has developed through choice. Despite disagreements, arguments, and difference, you have all chosen to make this not only your “second place,” but a second home.

I have been in a consistent state of awe at the creativity of this shard. Sure, we’ve had our share of drama (and perhaps Chesapeake’s share, and Origin’s share, and….;) but you made my job easy. All I ever wanted to do as an EM was tell a story. The ways in which many of you participated in that story, made it your own, and contributed to it are many. There were SO, so many times in the past five years where an event or story changed as a result of your interaction.

Beyond the events, the competitions (go Blue Beetles!), and the role-play, I appreciate having to gotten to know so many of you not just as your characters, but the player behind the character. I say this recognizing that I myself, bound to certain rules, was very careful about letting too much be known about me. I hope to one day find my way back here, so with that in mind, I will still keep those rules in mind. What I can say is that while my heart is still in the job, my head and my energy is not. I am managing family illnesses, and preparing for my first child (due in January). If it is a boy, Kyronix dared me to name him Dupre. I’m not one to back down from a challenge

As I said, I hope one day to return, but that may not happen. I know that whatever happens, Mesanna and the development team will see that you are in good hands. When I first arrived on Catskills I had the benefit of Kasaven being able to show me the ropes. He took me to Olympus, to Aegis, Vamp’s Lair and others. He explained a bit of the history. As I will be taking my leave JUST before I was all set to finish the overall narrative I’ve been working on for years, I will be leaving a detailed primer for whomever takes my place. It is my hope that there will be a sense of continuity. At the same time, a new EM means new, fresh ideas – something that you deserve, and I know you will enjoy. If nothing else, you will AT LEAST be guaranteed someone who is better suited to playing a proud monarch.

Thank you again for allowing me the privilege of being part of your community for the last five years.

Sincerely,

Barnaby

Continue reading...

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barnaby,

You have been a most welcome member of the community on Catskills. I have thoroughly enjoyed the many events and chances for involvement that you have brought to the entire player base. Role-players and non role-players alike. They joy with which you approached each new offering made me smile, the content presented impressed me greatly and your seemingly unending patience with the lot of us made me think you were either pooka or crazy.

Family is the most important thing in our lives, and is always at the root of who we are and will be. I will continue to offer up my wishes and prayers for the health and happiness of yours. Though our paths diverge from this point, you will always be a part of the history and family of Catskills. And I am sure your name will long be mentioned in story and song.

With appreciation and great Respect;

John Roach-aka Aedon

p.s.
If you name a son Dupre I will hunt you down and slap you.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am at a loss. I can only say "Thank you."

I hope whoever fills your shoes will do as good of a job remembering all of the different groups and their histories as you did. Your loss certainly hurts. You will be missed.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
And also
CONGRATULATIONS on your future UO player!!!

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh man, does this mean Tobias won't be getting points for the last 100 RBG reports that he submitted ... ?!

But seriously, you will be greatly missed Barnaby. Since returning to Catskills, I've enjoyed your events and stories, all of our interactions on different characters, and your appreciation for history and lore. You were also always great at rolling with whatever crazy stuff we threw your way, no matter how long they dragged out those council meetings.

Good luck to you, congratulations on the new addition to your family, and I plan on constantly badgering your replacement with, "Why can't you be more like Barnaby ... ?"

P.S. I'm still contemplating how to best use that cool idea you suggested to me that one time, and thank you in advance for that!

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Barnaby,

You were always good about interacting with us. Whomever takes the spot as Cats EM has extremely big shoes to fill. It was a pleasure to have had you as our event Moderator. You will be highly missed!!! Congrats on the Next Generation of Gamer!!!!!

Sincerely,

Gillian

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barnaby,

You were trained by one of the Best EM's Catskills ever had Kasaven, so thus that tittle cannot go to you but You have become the 2nd best EM Catskills ever had and you will be missed by all of us on Catskills and good luck with your new adventure it will be one of the best in your life . And as Gillian said above good luck to who has to fill your shoes , for they will need it

*mind you before the flames start for me Kasaven was the best em , this is just my opinion *