Ninja temp, comments and advice please.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
P

Papersamurai

Ninjitsu 100
Stealth 80
Hide 80
Swordsmanship 100
Poisoning 60
Tracking 70
Bushido 80
Stealing 70
Resist 80

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
You have skill increase jewel/armor with that template?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
What are you planning to use this template for? I wouldn't go lower than 110 stealing, GM hiding, and GM snooping - this goes for any thief template.

For a nox thief, I would use fencing over swords (need less ssi, and more poison-related specials) and wouldn't go lower than 80 poison (so that you can use both specials).

Who are you planning to attack and on what shard are you playing? 100 melee might fly on Siege or against miners, but you won't be hitting anyone wearing a decent suit with below 115 or 120 melee skill.

80 resist is going to be useless for defense. Bring it to 120 or just drop it. Trap boxes are dirt cheap.

Here's my nox thief template:

Template

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning

Skills

Magery - I initially tried chivalry, but eventually dropped it for magery for the following reasons. First, I can near insta-heal/cure with only 2/6 (as opposed to 4/6 with chiv). Second, the teleport and invisibility spells are lifesavers, as you can cast them while visible and/or aggro'd. Third, if I see a bot on a track, I can mark a rune to return later. Fourth, I can gate for team stealing. Lastly, incognito/polymorph aren't especially useful, but they can be fun sometimes. :)

Ninjitsu - In my mind, ninjitsu is indispensable, for several reasons:

1) Shadowjump. The number one thief killer, in my mind, is passive reveal. If you stealth up to an elf, you have an over 50% chance to be passive revealed, and your outlook's not too bright against humans and gargoyles, either. As soon as you're revealed, you can expect an "all kill." However, with shadowjump, you never need risk passive reveal: just shadowjump next to your target. Also, shadowjumping doesn't count as movement, so it won't close the packs you've snooped. Once you get the hang of it, you can shadow jump to every player at a champ, open all their packs, and sit back and watch for the best scroll. Shadow jump is also a way to avoid being hit/revealed by earthquake/meteor strike, as shadowjump casts much faster than those two spells.

2) Wolf form. Besides giving you increased movement speed, wolf form gives you +20 hp. As soon as you make a steal, hit wolf form and run for it. Once you're in the clear, just hide and stealth away at mounted speed. Unless I get trapped in paralyze fields, I'm never, ever killed in wolf form.

3) Shurikens. Kill bots and supposed "PvPers" who like to shoot arrows at people from within the safety of their houses.

4) Smoke bombs. If someone is flagging you, you cannot hide without them.

5) Death strike. The further they run, the quicker they die.

Suit

My suit includes: Burglar's Bandana, Pendant of the Magi, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Quiver of Infinity, Totem of the Void, Ornament of the Magician, Cloak of Silence, and an imbued ring (15 hci, 3 fcr, 20 lrc, 15 fire, 7 cold), as well as custom gloves, arms, and tunic. When I cast gate travel, I throw on the Conjurer's Grimoire to bring me to 110 magery. When I'm killing a bot, I replace my totem of the void with the Conjurer's Trinket to increase my damage and hci. The suit was surprisingly easy to piece together (on Europa, no less) and has 100 lrc, 2/6, 30 lmc, and all 60s.

Affiliation

As far as a thief guild . . . there's no better community than THIEF, in my view. Look here: http://www.uothief.com.

P

Papersamurai

Well, to answer the most prominent question, this template was created out of sheer boredom. I thought it might be fun to make a ninja temp. At some point I do plan on creating something similar to this, but not in the near future. It would help if I got an early jump on the plan for a ninja/thief temp (which is the purpose of this thread), so any and all comments/advice are absolutely welcome.

I have played a bit with Ninjitsu before (I have it soulstoned at 94-96ish), but it was more for fun. So this nox-ninja template is a great help. I hadn't really thought a whole lot on snooping, and I am really unsure of what it does or how it works (other than that it allows you to look through another player's backpack). And also the question of magery. That one threw me for a loop, though your reasoning is sound. One of the things I do enjoy about shurikens is that they can be poisoned, and can be thrown from about 12 tiles away, giving you a safe distance. The snoop-shadowjump combo is new to me, but it sounds quite effective.