• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nightmares

M

MalDK

I've read a good deal of posts here and, from what I can tell, several people agree that a Bake/Beetle combo is one of the best for damage?

Well, I've always had a soft spot for mares, especially pure black mares. The very first pure black mare I received from a friend about 8 years ago I still have. It's not that great, only a 3.1 on the calculator, but it was my first. I decided, it may be time to retire this veteran and victor of many battles (mostly against demons!). I went out looking for a new mare to train up. Keep in mind, I won't settle for anything less than a pure black.

So anyway, the first one I found Was o.k. Registered a 3.7 on the calculator. "Nice!" I thought. I took it back to my stables, fed it, stabled it waiting for it to bond. I kept thinking to myself "this just isn't good enough" and I wanted better.

So I went out again tonight looking. Lo and behold, the third one I get to spawn is damn near perfect. After dieing twice to this fierce girl, I knew she would be a monster once trained. Final stats after tame are as follows:

Health - 304
Strength - 524
Dexterity - 101
Intelligence 109

Phys 64
Fire 37
Cold 37
Poison 39
Energy 29

This beauty came it at a solid 4.0 on the calculator. I really can't wait for it to bond so I can start training it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. Yeah, so I know I'm bragging a little, but I'm so damn excited! Wanted to share :lick:

K

Kazumi the Wild

That's a heckuva mare you've got there!

I spent a good 2-3 4+ hour sessions finding my own mare, but I haven't put her through the calc yet.

Congrats!

K

Kazumi the Wild

As it should, given a Dread takes 3 control slots...

I mean, do you always compare two things of different categories? Are you going to tell us next that the featherweight boxer champion would easily get creamed by the heavyweight? :)

I

ivanbbq

I've read a good deal of posts here and, from what I can tell, several people agree that a Bake/Beetle combo is one of the best for damage?

Well, I've always had a soft spot for mares, especially pure black mares. The very first pure black mare I received from a friend about 8 years ago I still have. It's not that great, only a 3.1 on the calculator, but it was my first. I decided, it may be time to retire this veteran and victor of many battles (mostly against demons!). I went out looking for a new mare to train up. Keep in mind, I won't settle for anything less than a pure black.

So anyway, the first one I found Was o.k. Registered a 3.7 on the calculator. "Nice!" I thought. I took it back to my stables, fed it, stabled it waiting for it to bond. I kept thinking to myself "this just isn't good enough" and I wanted better.

So I went out again tonight looking. Lo and behold, the third one I get to spawn is damn near perfect. After dieing twice to this fierce girl, I knew she would be a monster once trained. Final stats after tame are as follows:

Health - 304
Strength - 524
Dexterity - 101
Intelligence 109

Phys 64
Fire 37
Cold 37
Poison 39
Energy 29

This beauty came it at a solid 4.0 on the calculator. I really can't wait for it to bond so I can start training it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. Yeah, so I know I'm bragging a little, but I'm so damn excited! Wanted to share :lick:
oh cool!!

hey may i ask the status of your old nightmare?
I have one from about 5-6 years ago before I quited
I animal lore it yesterday, it has no physical resist!! no wonder it's so weak facing some monsters......

is it a rare pet for these days?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh cool!!

hey may i ask the status of your old nightmare?
I have one from about 5-6 years ago before I quited
I animal lore it yesterday, it has no physical resist!! no wonder it's so weak facing some monsters......

is it a rare pet for these days?
I know you were not asking me but I would think thats rare if it is showing no physical at all

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a very good mare indeed. Mine doesn't even begin to compare.

Then again, my Fiona (the mare) was the first mare I saw, so it's naturally weak in a lot of areas. But she's still great as a support pet for my rune beetle or (when I had one) my dread war horse. The best part about having a mare is that when she gets into trouble, I can always get her away.

I certainly can't say that about my bakes or my beetle. Or my dragon, for that matter.

I

ivanbbq

I know you were not asking me but I would think thats rare if it is showing no physical at all
So I guess I should keep that?

my stable is full, I only have 7 stable slots, I have 2 such nightmares and 2-3 WW which breaths like dragon breaths, are they also rate?

I am thinking of using the soul stone and help from my friend, to transfer all the pets to my other char's stable..........
but that char will have no use of stable anymore, so probably the mage i guess.........

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would either get rid of it or see if there's a market for it.

But that's the kind of player I am, if it isn't useful for my hunting, I don't have the stable slots to keep it and I get rid of it.

Y

YuriGaDaisukiDa

what shard are you on with the ice breath wyrms ill buy one

I

ivanbbq

Health - 304
Strength - 524
Dexterity - 101
Intelligence 109

Phys 64
Fire 37
Cold 37
Poison 39
Energy 29

I totally understand your feeling!!
I have just tamed a Cu Sidhe couple hours ago
Before I tamed I just thought it's a bit better than my doggie, so wanna tame it first and to think thoughtfully whether it's worthy to swap and train again.
After it's tamed I use the calculator to rank the doggie, it's 4.3 star!!!!!!

T

Turdnugget

I beg to differ about the dreadmare being uber leet... my mare/beetle takes down most Dreadmares (unless trained fully and uber stats) rather quickly.

Just the other day I was helping my guild spawn Sanctum, I was on my boat coming in and a raider on the beach got off his DM to have it attack... even just the spell casting my beetle/mediocre mare nearly redlined it before he hopped on it and ran away.

DM's do have their places though. I still prefer beetle/mare, beetle/bake. Beetle anything due to poisoning/armor corrupt =) Killing champs makes a HUGE difference when a beetle gets the armor corrupt off.

I

ivanbbq

Health - 304
Strength - 524
Dexterity - 101
Intelligence 109

Phys 64
Fire 37
Cold 37
Poison 39
Energy 29

I killed about 40 nightmares
and I finally tamed a black one with the below status

Hit Points: 312
Str/Dex/Int: 514 / 86 / 94
Resists: 63 / 40 / 40 / 40 / 30

it scores 4.6 stars!!!!!!!

U

uoBuoY

I killed about 40 nightmares
and I finally tamed a black one with the below status

Hit Points: 312
Str/Dex/Int: 514 / 86 / 94
Resists: 63 / 40 / 40 / 40 / 30

it scores 4.6 stars!!!!!!!
I'm sorry but that Mare is NOT a 4.6. It's a stinkin' 4.8!!!
For some reason, the Pet Power Calc doesn't take into account that Mares will gain Dex and Int to 125.

I

ivanbbq

I'm sorry but that Mare is NOT a 4.6. It's a stinkin' 4.8!!!
For some reason, the Pet Power Calc doesn't take into account that Mares will gain Dex and Int to 125.
oh yeah..... you are right

isn't that cool?? although nightmare is not too useful on hunting now (unless with rune beetle)

but it's so lovely!!

R

RichDC

I have to Say im 99.9% sure a mares intelligence will not raise,

Its dex will raise to 125 but its intelligence is at tamed level

And to the person comparing a Dm to a beetle & bake!!
How can you compare a single pet to 2 pets?? with a combined mana of average 750+??
you fight either against the DM on there own and majority of the time the DM will win(sometimes they both will get lucky and win)

K

Kazumi the Wild

Is a stat below 125? If so, you can train it to 125.

No ifs, and, or buts. Since a mare's max int is 125, the pre-tame int is of no consequence.

Edit: Concerning DM/Mare versus Beetle/Bake, its a question of who you're attacking, and who your allies are.

If you're alone, Dread might be the better tank (unless its a heavy-casting, Fire Breathing, or non-phys-melee-damaging mob). Armor currupt, with just the Bake helping, might not give the bake/beetle the greater destructive potential.

If you have even 1 friend? Armor Currupt is incredible. If you have more than 1 friend, the Beetle becomes leagues better than a Dread (unless you're worried about other people doing more damage than you, ala Doom or Champs).

C

Conrad99

Edit: Concerning DM/Mare versus Beetle/Bake, its a question of who you're attacking, and who your allies are.

I agree completely. It all depend on what you are fighting.

When I am on my mare, I use a beetle as a second pet.

When I am on my DM, I use a bake as a second pet.

I can get on a horse and run if needed using either combo. As far as mana/casting the combos are close.

U

uoBuoY

looking at the chart for a mare, it should't be that hard to get a 4.8 or 4.9 imho
http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=248
Personally i don't like nightmares, i think u get alot more punch in bake's. If u however can get a decent pair, getting them at 4.0++ is a real pancake.
Finding a 4.0 Mare is slightly less difficult then finding a 4.0 Kit but the Kit "seems" easier because so many spawn at the same time. You can check out 8-10 Kits in the same time you check 1 Mare, kill it and wait for the next one to spawn.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finding a 4.0 Mare is slightly less difficult then finding a 4.0 Kit but the Kit "seems" easier because so many spawn at the same time. You can check out 8-10 Kits in the same time you check 1 Mare, kill it and wait for the next one to spawn.
I agree to some point, there is alot more action when hunting bakes. just sitting there waiting for the mare to pop, is really boring.So when loring/killing bakes the time seems to go faster in some way, but the amount u have to kill/lore to get a 4.0 is still like 1000 bakes to 10 nightmares.

T

Turdnugget

At champ spawns, I always see my beetle/mare doing more damage than the GD's that are there. I've gotta find a new bake though.

I typically just see 30-50+ dmg keep rolling on the screen non-stop. When armor corrupt isn't going its in the high teens to 20's...but that only lasts a second or so.

I'm pretty positive my pet combo is out damaging the GD's =)

C

Conrad99

I agree to some point, there is alot more action when hunting bakes. just sitting there waiting for the mare to pop, is really boring.So when loring/killing bakes the time seems to go faster in some way, but the amount u have to kill/lore to get a 4.0 is still like 1000 bakes to 10 nightmares.
Very true. For hunting my mare for my second tamer, I went to fel lvl2 covetous when it was an instant spwan. I also was hunting for the aniv arties. I killed alot just to get the good one.

They still spawn farley quickly in fel and you can still get an artie as you hunt.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At champ spawns, I always see my beetle/mare doing more damage than the GD's that are there. I've gotta find a new bake though.

I typically just see 30-50+ dmg keep rolling on the screen non-stop. When armor corrupt isn't going its in the high teens to 20's...but that only lasts a second or so.

I'm pretty positive my pet combo is out damaging the GD's =)
I'm dead positive your two pets outdamages any single pet. I'll use generals for my "proof". Remember killing the generals only gives their special items to the top 3 damage dealers, and remembering the early days of the invasion when there were sometimes a dozen people fighting a single general.

My pet comination was a beetle/bake, and I supported with mind blasting, since I'm not smart enough to conserve my mana for words of death, I didn't use them. Even with a lot of people pounding on the general, including mages, archers and greater dragons (nobody else seemed to have multiple pets who wasn't guilded with me), I NEVER ONCE didn't get a drop, even when I came late to the fight (General at 3/4 health).

And if you have another tamer with you, try this: Beetle/bake/dread horse/nightmare. Nothing survives long against that combination.

R

RichDC

There is no comparing a dread mare combo to a beetle/bake combo,

The mana diff is ridiculous (almost 300 in the beetle/bake favour), the resists are unparralleled (bake can tank near enough...Anything!!!)

And the specials just ruin anything!!! (Bleed, Deadly Poison, Corrupt armour &Rage all hitting at one time is not uncommen!)

All in all, I love my dread mare ride him all the time (most of the time use him to fight too). However, There is NO Greater combo than beetle/bake!!

If you want to drop quick just use 2 of the same combo...PARA balrons survive maybe 30secs(that may be exagerating they may survive less!)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having used that combo a lot, I concur. Para balrons survive less than 30 seconds.

It was hilarious during the Melissa spawn, two of us could kill paragon balrons before some of the greater dragon users could say "all kill."

K

Kazumi the Wild

Having used that combo a lot, I concur. Para balrons survive less than 30 seconds.

It was hilarious during the Melissa spawn, two of us could kill paragon balrons before some of the greater dragon users could say "all kill."
Para Balrons survive roughly 10 minutes when facing a average offense level tamed greater...

You're saying a bake/beetle is 20x more effective? Really?

R

RichDC

REALLY!!!

Wheni went to blood dungeon in ilsh, just messing about, i killed a paragon bally quicker than my guildmate who was there was killing his regulars!!

only hard bit is making sure the highest phys pet tanks (for me the beetle with 64)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also bear in mind that we don't use an average anything.

And I was talking about 2 tamer combinations of 4 pets, so your estimate should have included 2 above average dragons, or less than 5 minutes.

And I'm not talking about the average times, but the fastest times to kill, meaning a lot of lucky blows and good spells. So you have to take that into consideration as well.

The math is impossible, since there are too many variables, but it does come out to a four pet combination kills things MUCH faster than a 2 greater dragon combo. The problem, and the reason most people stick to the dragons, is that if the wrong pet tanks, the pet usually dies and there's a lot more "maintenance" (healing, curing, bandages, pulling pets out of the fight to save it, ressurections) with multiple small pets than with one huge dragon.

R

RichDC

The problem, and the reason most people stick to the dragons, is that if the wrong pet tanks, the pet usually dies and there's a lot more "maintenance" (healing, curing, bandages, pulling pets out of the fight to save it, ressurections) with multiple small pets than with one huge dragon.
I agree, but would have said...

The problem people stick with dragons is because they have little or no skill as an actual tamer. They just want to sit back and watch a film or sumthing while fighting a high end mob, rather than actually put some effort in for the reward!

R

RichDC

Unfortunatly agree...there are a few of us who only use the drags when situation calls

2man trav/mel/griz/doom, solo grizz etc

some however are very good with them and actualy can use them properly but yes most just use all the time for ease :(

K

Kazumi the Wild

I tend to use Greaters quite a bit, especially when hunting other greaters.

I prefer "likes to relax when gaming" rather than "lazy", by and by.

That doesn't mean I won't break out a bake and beetle when I feel the need...

R

RichDC

I myself prefer just using a dread mare on the occasions i feel the need to kill a Greater...Just for fun, now that is a fun time!!!(hard work but fun!)

T

Turdnugget

I typically always use my beetle/mare. I'm an archer as well, mainly for PvM purposes, but when raided it's nice =)

I'm still farming for another bake, I got rid of my other one when I decided I was going straight for beetle/mare so I have something to ride...

But feel the need to get an uber bake again =)

That combo is even more deadly when I had bushido on my tamer as well. Mobs didn't really stand a chance with a beetle/mare/bake and me shooting it with archery/bushi/chivalry. I'm typically always a top damager :gun:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bug/mare or Bug/bake FTW. Occassionally a pair of bakes, but usually one of the first two combos for max damage.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atm im using the uber combo bake/bake. but thats mostly because i haven't found any decent bugs yet. Most admit that i really like the bake/bake combo, but i guess it all comes down to quality of the pet youre using.
My bake pair is 4.2 for the little one (only 341HP) and the bigger one 4.4 (349HP) With a little disco, (im 120 mu/di) i dont have any trouble killing anything.
They are pretty fun to take to the tokuno spawn, cast poison field, and all guard me, on the lower levels, and u have 2 nice bodyguards.

If u know what you a doing tokuno spawn is a good place to train pets, u just need to take extra care of them on the higher levels.And you might even get a replica in the process.

And no no, i don't use this toon in fel, i got better chars for that :)